Maria leaves Sesame Street

What a loss...we need more good people in children's entertainment and it's sorely declining more and more each year.

Laura

What a loss...we need more good people in children's entertainment and it's sorely declining more and more each year.

Laura

I agree , I was sad to see this on the news . There not a lot good role models for young children today.

40 years had been a long time for her. I think it is good idea that she wanted to retire after that long time. Someone could take her place. You have to remember that Sesame Street is a fantasy which children like to watch with animation like the puppets with learning alphabets and words. Kids love this show so much. I used to watch them when I was young. Boy, that was long time ago.

I wish her happiness on her retirement. She need that and need time to break away from the television establishment. :cheers:

40 years had been a long time for her. I think it is good idea that she wanted to retire after that long time. Someone could take her place. You have to remember that Sesame Street is a fantasy which children like to watch with animation like the puppets with learning alphabets and words. Kids love this show so much. I used to watch them when I was young. Boy, that was long time ago.

I wish her happiness on her retirement. She need that and need time to break away from the television establishment. :cheers:

Do you know she was the first Puerto Rican teenager to be on TV and she was a huge role model for young children . Sesame Street was more than a fantasy show , it help kids feel good about who they were and not to judge people by the color of their skin. You miss the whole point of the show if you think it's only about fantasy.

Do you know she was the first Puerto Rican teenager to be on TV and she was a huge role model for young children . Sesame Street was more than a fantasy show , it help kids feel good about who they were and not to judge people by the color of their skin. You miss the whole point of the show if you think it's only about fantasy.

I still say it is a fantasy show. But still this Sesame Street is an educational show which help them learn their alphabets and words. It has nothing to do with their colors of their skins or cultures. Some do learn a little bit about themselves like Spanish speaking and English speaking. I know that she is Puerto Rican and I love her for what she does on the show for so many years since she was a young woman. 40 years is long time. She want to retire. You can not force her back on the show because there are not enough Puerto Ricans to come on the show. Of course, it is the most popular show. Do you know that Linda Bove (she was or is Deaf) was on Sesame Street, too? I have not see her much on the show. She was young, too. Actors or performers had to move on after they retire from Sesame Street. So life goes on. :)

Linda Bove first appeared on Sesame Street in 1972, became a regular member in 1975 and was on the show until 2003.

This part I didn't know--
(from a wiki article)
Linda also appeared in numerous inserts and sketches, notably the famous silent sketches where Maria (Sonia Manzano) would play Charlie Chaplin and Linda would often play a supporting role, either as a pretty woman or as a second Chaplin if two were required for a particular sketch.

I would say it is part fantasy/part 'real life'. Sesame Street did address some real life things, most notably the death of Mr. Hooper the grocer.

Linda Bove first appeared on Sesame Street in 1972, became a regular member in 1975 and was on the show until 2003.

This part I didn't know--
(from a wiki article)

I would say it is part fantasy/part 'real life'. Sesame Street did address some real life things, most notably the death of Mr. Hooper the grocer.

it deal with real life issues and used puppets to keep small children attention .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4qNs4onYQ

Back