Deaf Culture and Literature: Questions

Lighteningfield

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I am not deaf/Deaf. Just a hearing person with a little ASL/PSE knowledge and I've met some wonderful people in the deaf community. I feel like i'm impeding on someone's stomping ground, and I hope nothing I ask or say is offensive. I'll try not to make this too lengthy.
I am writing a story involving a a main character who is deaf. Now, before you roll your eyes, I'm not romanticizing deafness. It's not a large part of the story, though it is a part of the character. I want to write it with the best understanding I can achieve.

I have a few particular questions for the deaf community just to hear it from another perspective:

I have a little written, but do you think I am in over my head with this story and should just quit while I'm ahead?
Is writing things down strenuous or annoying if you had to do it for one person or would you feel better if they just learned ASL first?
Would it be plausible for a person to simultaneously think in ASL and vocal speech(this is what my friend told me)
Is it far fetched for them to have an average amount of both deaf and hearing friends?
I know name signs are special, but for the sake of the story. The MC will have one for one particular person. I'm wondering if it is okay for it to be the shape of a heart with the letter A with one hand? Or does that break all the rules? Or can there be an exception?

Last edited:
Do we get any of the book royalty if we help you write your book???

I sure wish we did b/c some of us would be rich by now as we so many people coming here asking us the questions about writing a book with a deaf person in it.

Do we get any of the book royalty if we help you write your book???

I sure wish we did b/c some of us would be rich by now as we so many people coming here asking us the questions about writing a book with a deaf person in it.

I do not know how much of this is sarcasm but no, because you're not helping me actually write it. The story isn't about being deaf. Though you're giving me information and if I ever get published and make money...well, I'm not the type to look a gift horse in the mouth. I do not forget when I've been helped.
I can understand why you all may be tired of questions. It's the same with any other culture who have people on the outside looking in, trying to understand what they can't experience so they can tell other people. Sometimes it's successful, other times you get something akin to appropriation.
However, if a couple of people don't mind answering the few questions I have, I would be very thankful.

Well I will answer. I know most people here roll their eyes at many 'requests'; I tend to just skip right over the titles in the New Posts list and not even bother to read- less aggravation that way but once in a while I'm intrigued and open the thread.

Anyway...
Everything I write from here down is my OWN opinion- they do not reflect anyone else's here at AllDeaf or anywhere else.

I have a little written, but do you think I am in over my head with this story and should just quit while I'm ahead?

Only if you think you are in over your head. Once you have the information you can determine if you are or not. As it seems to be only a small part of the story I don't think so as long as you do the research. Many great writer have written out of their depth and has done a great about of research to 'get it right' (or attempt to).

Is writing things down strenuous or annoying if you had to do it for one person or would you feel better if they just learned ASL first?

no...if the person him/herself is an interesting person and I want to get to know then writing things down would not be strenuous or annoying. In the process maybe add in showing what the signs are for some words might help- 'mini lessons' lol. But it would be nice if the other person learned ASL but I'm not going to be pushing/nagging the person about it either- fastest way to push somebody away.

Would it be plausible for a person to simultaneously think in ASL and vocal speech(this is what my friend told me)
It's possible... I have heard of this before. I tend to do that sometimes too if I am out in the hearing world or on the phone... use voice and think in sign. I don't know how common it is though.

Is it far fetched for them to have an average amount of both deaf and hearing friends?
No not far fetched- Kind of unusual but not impossible. Most deaf either have more deaf than hearing or more hearing than deaf (especially if they grew up oral). Right now in my life it seems I have about an average amount of both deaf and hearing friends. Wasn't always that way.

I know name signs are special, but for the sake of the story. The MC will have one for one particular person. I'm wondering if it is okay for it to be the shape of a heart with the letter A with one hand? Or does that break all the rules? Or can there be an exception?

Don't know.. I know that the general rule of thumb is that a deaf person will give someone their name sign. I don't think I was ever bestowed one by anyone except for one (which was actually a 'joke' award from my NSP days...) but that nickname is hardly ever used anymore so I don't have a namesign anymore.

Good luck!

^^ yours would be a 'devil' sign above your head then with a 'cat' sign after.....

Don't know.. I know that the general rule of thumb is that a deaf person will give someone their name sign. I don't think I was ever bestowed one by anyone except for one (which was actually a 'joke' award from my NSP days...) but that nickname is hardly ever used anymore so I don't have a namesign anymore.

Thankyou very much! I know that one does not represent all, but any other perspectives will help as in all aspects of writing.
As for the name sign, I know it has rules; for the sake of the story the MC will give another character a name sign because it is something (in most cases) special.
I really would like to know if the name signs in the story make sense. I don't know all the negative ASL words. I wouldn't want to create one that means something unintended.

Thankyou very much! I know that one does not represent all, but any other perspectives will help as in all aspects of writing.
As for the name sign, I know it has rules; for the sake of the story the MC will give another character a name sign because it is something (in most cases) special.
I really would like to know if the name signs in the story make sense. I don't know all the negative ASL words. I wouldn't want to create one that means something unintended.

The MC will have one for one particular person. I'm wondering if it is okay for it to be the shape of a heart with the letter A with one hand? Or does that break all the rules? Or can there be an exception?

The way I'm picturing it, doesn't seem anything wrong with it. If it is connected to the person in some way all the better as many name signs pick on something connected to the person, physical feature, nickname, hobby or something.

wow that good and wonderful to read about a hearing preson writing a story about deaf peoples and cultures,and courage other hearing peoples to write about deaf peoples!

Back