HoH & deaf question

Miaou

Premium Member
Reaction score
As many of you all know, I was raised in the hearing world without Deaf culture or education. Now, at 36yrs old I am just recently learning ASL and more about Deaf culture. I understand the differences in little d deaf and capital D deaf but, my question is:

What is the difference in HoH and little d deaf?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, or been asked before..I'm just curious.

I personally interchange HoH and deaf. I suspect a lot of hearing people think deaf means that someone can't hear any sounds which we know is not true.

I will sometimes tell people I'm HoH w/my hearing aids and deaf w/o them.

I personally interchange HoH and deaf. I suspect a lot of hearing people think deaf means that someone can't hear any sounds which we know is not true.

I'm curious if it has a true meaning difference. On Facebook a guy told me HoH and little d deaf are the exact same thing. I thought it was different. I'm just wanting to understand better. :)

In my opinion, HOH is HOH and deaf/Deaf is deaf. Just, Deaf was raised in the Deaf culture and deaf wasn't. deaf doesn't know ASL and maybe has never met other Deaf people, but can't hear sounds at all as well.

I thought deaf overlaped hoh? Otherwise why do they have the term profoundly deaf?

I'm curious if it has a true meaning difference. On Facebook a guy told me HoH and little d deaf are the exact same thing. I thought it was different. I'm just wanting to understand better. :)

it IS different.... you can be HOH and still identify as Deaf.

There are different degrees of hearing loss. For Hard Of Hearing (HOH), the degree of hearing loss would be mild to close severe hearing loss. For the deaf, this would indicate that the deaf has severe to profound hearing loss and also use oral method instead of signing ASL. You can wear hearing aid if you can hear it.

For me, I have severe to profound hearing loss which mean on my left ear, I have severe hearing loss while on my right ear, I have profound hearing loss. I use my hearing aid for my left ear only but I could not use the hearing aid for my right ear as I could not hear anything from it. I am glad that I don't want or need Cochlear Implant (CI).

I am HOH and identify as HOH when I sign to members of my deaf community mostly because I can hear enough of what people say to still work and interact with the hearing world Orally as much as I despise it. However technically with my Meiniere's Disease I fluctuate between HOH and Deaf after an attack I sometimes can't get back to my normal hearing for hours and I wonder sometimes if I will actually get my hearing back after an attack. I don't know what I would do as I am considered a basic level 1 ASL student.

I am HOH and identify as HOH when I sign to members of my deaf community mostly because I can hear enough of what people say to still work and interact with the hearing world Orally as much as I despise it. However technically with my Meiniere's Disease I fluctuate between HOH and Deaf after an attack I sometimes can't get back to my normal hearing for hours and I wonder sometimes if I will actually get my hearing back after an attack. I don't know what I would do as I am considered a basic level 1 ASL student.

Yah, I was HOH for a few years, slowly loosing my hearing after Meniere's attacks. One night, while suffering through an attack, I decided to call it a night early so I didn't have to deal with it. I woke up the next day with nothing and it never came back. I still have no ASL knowledge (although I plan on working on that.)

Back