Cohlear implant vs bonebridge

Iam asking this myself too,but from the history i know, teachers when he was young tent to believe he had intellectual disabilities.Also we believe his hearing problem was progressive and probably had a mild hearing loss which was unnoticed by the family.Also he is very capable to understand body and lip reading.All these and the fact that parents had 6 children with a year or 2 difference made it even more difficult to identify the problem.

He don't like changes and he afraid the surgery.
The first hearing aids at age 14-15 took him 2 years to wear it on everyday basis.Now he cannot be without them.

What do you think now you have a better picture ?
Should we go for one CI instead of both?

Surgery is a major cut so I don't know what to say because I don't have a ci. It's his body if he goes for it or not. From what my understanding that CI takes more time, to adjust to feel comfortable. I'm sure CI USERS will tell you more.

Hearing with CI's takes practice and a lot of adjustment. The processors won't be all that much different for him if he is wearing behind the ear hearing aids. The surgery is surgery and recovery, for the most part, is not all that difficult, but he will have a pressure bandage that is pretty uncomfortable for a day and then he will have to go about a month without a HA or CI. Part of the process to be approved for the CI is a psychological exam for him and probably his main caretakers--so you and your parents probably--to see if he can adjust to the change.

He sounds like a candidate for CI's physically, but not sure if mentally he is. I would start the process and see what the doctors say.

He sounds like a candidate for CI's physically, but not sure if mentally he is. I would start the process and see what the doctors say.

The process is ready.We did all the exams ,blood,mri,x-ray etc.They already gave us a date for the surgery for both ears.At 05/03/2015.
My concern is not if we proceed or not but if is better to do one ear instead of both.Here is what i'm thinking :

If we do only one and my brother is not so comfortable with it or freak out or something is wrong,he can switch to the normal hearing aids on the other ear

And two disadvantages, if we do only one ear and is successful, we will need to proceed with the surgery for a second time and also i don't know if they would accept to fund it.

riding motor bike and carpentry you need mathematical mind bc he no do arithmetic don't mean he discalulated...great shame he fell through net because I sure ASL at young age would been valuable

The process is ready.We did all the exams ,blood,mri,x-ray etc.They already gave us a date for the surgery for both ears.At 05/03/2015.
My concern is not if we proceed or not but if is better to do one ear instead of both.Here is what i'm thinking :

If we do only one and my brother is not so comfortable with it or freak out or something is wrong,he can switch to the normal hearing aids on the other ear

Hard decision. How much are the HA's helping at this point? It doesn't sound like they are helping much at all. One ear is better than no ears but from what it sounds like he is losing his natural hearing anyway. Will he go for a second surgery if need be?

They sure help a lot.If he wear it at least he can hear me calling him so he can turn on my direction and it helps a lot decipher what we are saying.If the voice is from a man and deep enough, he can hear it.Also the car horns, tv noises/voices but can't really understand what is said.His hearing aid have maximum power around 100db so his low frequencies 250hz at 70db and 500hz at 90db he still have some response.

Back