Have been very depressed /:

kayy55

Reaction score
Ever since I got my new hearing test, the results have caused me some depression. I have severe hearing loss on both hears, high frequencies ; sensorineural hearing loss is what I have & I really haven't been my self lately. I'm getting new hearing aids soon, but hopefully my hearing can stay stable throughout these upcoming years. I could really use some positive feedback to help me be myself again.

Getting new hearing aids should make your life-less depressing. You have already taken steps to assist yourself.

Good luck with your new hearing aids.

How you feel is totally understandable, that may seem weird coming from me as I may not have hearing loss but I've seen family members struggle and deal. Remember that life does not throw anything to you that you cannot handle. :)

How you feel is totally understandable, that may seem weird coming from me as I may not have hearing loss but I've seen family members struggle and deal. Remember that life does not throw anything to you that you cannot handle. :)

How about the people who so can't handle it they commit suicide?

I do not believe this "Remember that life does not throw anything to you that you cannot handle. "

life is about attitude and energy you absorb the energy you are putting out. do not be negative about it have positive thought i told you in another forum if you would like to Skype or facetime!

You know, if hearing loss is relatively recent you may opt for CI.
usually people who used to hear decent for most of their life fare pretty good with CI. so, how about that?

Fuzzy

I think I have said this in about a million posts, but I truly believe it. When you are losing your hearing, it isn't living with hearing loss that is hard, it is knowing HOW to live with hearing loss that is hard. Realistically, I can't just say everything is going to be fine, or it all happens for a reason. But I think you really just have to take a step back and see what works for you. What do you have going on in your life that still remains the same or is maybe even better.

I just lost my hearing completely not that long ago and while I sat around moping because my family and a few of my friends are . . . jerks, I almost missed the fact that most of the people I surround myself with are pretty awesome, and could care less that they have to go out of their way to communicate with me. For me, I actually gained confidence after becoming deaf, not only confidence in those around me, but also in my own decision making skills.

I think after you get your new hearing aids, you will probably feel a lot better, but ultimately I would sit down and ask yourself why you feel less like yourself. You shouldn't feel like you are less yourself just because of a little hearing loss. (mind you, I am not saying it isn't normal to feel like that. I definitely did for a while.) You are you, regardless of the status of your hearing. You should also discuss your feelings with a few people you really trust. That way if your hearing does get progressively worse, they know how you feel about it and you already have some people on your side. One of the biggest problems I had when I lost my hearing was feelings of loneliness, like I was the only deaf guy in a hearing world.

In all likelihood I am probably rambling on about stuff that doesn't make sense, but I really hope you do start feeling better. Just know that you aren't alone and sometimes the things we think are terrible, aren't nearly that bad at all.

I think I have said this in about a million posts, but I truly believe it. When you are losing your hearing, it isn't living with hearing loss that is hard, it is knowing HOW to live with hearing loss that is hard. Realistically, I can't just say everything is going to be fine, or it all happens for a reason. But I think you really just have to take a step back and see what works for you. What do you have going on in your life that still remains the same or is maybe even better.

I just lost my hearing completely not that long ago and while I sat around moping because my family and a few of my friends are . . . jerks, I almost missed the fact that most of the people I surround myself with are pretty awesome, and could care less that they have to go out of their way to communicate with me. For me, I actually gained confidence after becoming deaf, not only confidence in those around me, but also in my own decision making skills.

I think after you get your new hearing aids, you will probably feel a lot better, but ultimately I would sit down and ask yourself why you feel less like yourself. You shouldn't feel like you are less yourself just because of a little hearing loss. (mind you, I am not saying it isn't normal to feel like that. I definitely did for a while.) You are you, regardless of the status of your hearing. You should also discuss your feelings with a few people you really trust. That way if your hearing does get progressively worse, they know how you feel about it and you already have some people on your side. One of the biggest problems I had when I lost my hearing was feelings of loneliness, like I was the only deaf guy in a hearing world.

In all likelihood I am probably rambling on about stuff that doesn't make sense, but I really hope you do start feeling better. Just know that you aren't alone and sometimes the things we think are terrible, aren't nearly that bad at all.

No , you're not rambling on at all , you're making very good sense , don't sell yourself short.

I can so relate to you as I also have severe sensorieneural hearing loss that is progressively going down. Every hearing test is worse than the last one and I am really struggling with each loss. Family and friends do not always get it that I am missing more of what is said. Fortunately I sign and that is helping me more and more. I recently received Phonak Nadia Q70 ultra power hearing aids, microphone and Compilot that has really improved things for me. Especially the microphone which works great for watching TV and it clips on family members so I can hear them better. I have zoom control so when in the car I can zoom to which person is talking and hear them. So I am really pleased with my new hearing aids. So my words of encouragement to you is when you get new hearing aids, get the microphone and Compilot which streams music and TV plus phone calls and music from your cell phone. It works great and I do so much better. To lose hearing slowly is so difficult to cope with and we need encouragement to keep going as this is very difficult to cope with. But please hang in there. I talk to myself that it could be much worse such as losing sight along with hearing. So look at the bright side, we have hearing aids to assist us. I am so thankful for my new hearing aid system. I sure hope it works for you. Hopefully this info has cheered you up. There is no guarantee the hearing will remain stable but we need try to make the best out of what we have. So I hope things get better for you in the future. Let me know how it goes. Truly wish you the best.

I can so relate to you as I also have severe sensorieneural hearing loss that is progressively going down. Every hearing test is worse than the last one and I am really struggling with each loss. Family and friends do not always get it that I am missing more of what is said. Fortunately I sign and that is helping me more and more. I recently received Phonak Nadia Q70 ultra power hearing aids, microphone and Compilot that has really improved things for me. Especially the microphone which works great for watching TV and it clips on family members so I can hear them better. I have zoom control so when in the car I can zoom to which person is talking and hear them. So I am really pleased with my new hearing aids. So my words of encouragement to you is when you get new hearing aids, get the microphone and Compilot which streams music and TV plus phone calls and music from your cell phone. It works great and I do so much better. To lose hearing slowly is so difficult to cope with and we need encouragement to keep going as this is very difficult to cope with. But please hang in there. I talk to myself that it could be much worse such as losing sight along with hearing. So look at the bright side, we have hearing aids to assist us. I am so thankful for my new hearing aid system. I sure hope it works for you. Hopefully this info has cheered you up. There is no guarantee the hearing will remain stable but we need try to make the best out of what we have. So I hope things get better for you in the future. Let me know how it goes. Truly wish you the best.

thank you so much!

It is understandable that you got depressed. Change of any kind isn't easy. Loss is difficult. My hearing loss was slow but still caused lots of depression along the way.
Life isn't easy. There are good days and not so good days. The trick for me is to try and make the best of what ever.
I do try and do things that are easier as a deaf person. I try and develop more my appreciation for art and stay clear of music. I go to captioned movies and avoid uncaptioned things. My hearing loss did show me who my real friends were and also brought some of the most amazing people into my life. I had people who left and I had to grieve losing them in the beginning.
Hearing loss is tough and it isn't butterflies and daisies. It is an obstacle to overcome and adapt too. It does make you stronger and a better person. My empathy for others is far greater today then it ever was.
Hang in there and use this difficulty to steer your life in the direction that is suppose to go. You can use this as a positive but it takes time and effort. You may one day look back at your hearing loss and say it is the best thing that ever happened to you.
You can do it.

I to have depression and have similar situation but not exact. The best thing to do is seek help for the depression whether by meds or counseling or both. There are so many of us who have experienced some type of loss. Mine was giving up analog for digitals and then getting a $4000.00 hybrid pair. Found my happiness by slowly sending in a pair of analogs to be "fixed" so that I could have my peace. I am not all back to happy just yet. Still checking the volume level all the time and occasional anxiety attacks. My hearing has changed just a little but I understand the impact of what it means. No one wants to lose more hearing when we take value and meaning in what we have. I have seasonal depression but it's being managed with sunlight, exercise, and journalizing. I have a counselor/ therapist waiting to help me and willing to see me for however long I need and for the day that I do try digitals again. Here to talk if you need anything- inbox a message.

I have progressive loss. Actually I should probably say had, I don't think I have anymore left to lose lol it started 20 years ago so it's been a long slide. It started at different times, left ear first, then the right five years later. Just the one ear didn't bother me, but when I started losing it in my good ear? That was scary, but I adjusted pretty quickly. Got hearing aids and kept in keeping on. After I my kids were old enough to be in school meant I could go back to school. So I looked at programs available at a tech college for something I was interested in doing AND that my hearing loss wouldn't be too big of a hurdle. I think it's important to be proactive and realistic about things.

I was peachy until I got to profound loss. I had suspected my hearing was worse but I really wasn't scared, or have any bad feelings until it was confirmed. Somehow being told, okay now you have profound loss in your right ear and your left is profound to no response was just.....so much worse than thinking it had. If that makes sense. But I keep on keeping on.

If you're really having a hard time with it I think therapy is very good idea. Losing your hearing later in life can be more isolating, and traumatizing.

I was very ill don't remember a lot about it but I became very depressed when everything sunk in.
I know it patronizing but you got look at what you can do and achieve and you be surprised you are the master of it not the victim and it easy to become victim...be realistic somethings harder than others..i went around the world it not hard not that everyone in that position to do it but there are so many things that can be done

Ever since I got my new hearing test, the results have caused me some depression. I have severe hearing loss on both hears, high frequencies ; sensorineural hearing loss is what I have & I really haven't been my self lately. I'm getting new hearing aids soon, but hopefully my hearing can stay stable throughout these upcoming years. I could really use some positive feedback to help me be myself again.
depend negative or positive. not good healthy for depression.,,,,

possible side effect. Ask to doctor.. they will observing make your mood days route.

Make sure clear to times feeling.. i hope be you everything will fine.. Do not back depression. :)

I'll be honest and tell you that I have no idea what you are going through, but I can tell you that I know what it's like to go through something that I felt that no one could understand. And the feeling ripped my heart out. I don't know who the strong people are that you have in your life, but I hope that you do have someone to lean on. I am just a small comment in this storm that you are having. But I wanted to drop you a note of encouragement because sometimes they help a little. :) seems you have some fans here cheering you on and dropping more comments of encouragement. Stay strong. :) as I said before, I don't know what it's like, but I do know what it feels like when your life gets turned upside down. I'm sure that you have people that you'd rather talk to, but if you find yourself feeling down, feel free to drop me a note. Sometimes just having someone listening helps. Good luck! Keep fighting.

I have experience diagnoise new bpd and personality disorder. no reason. I have diagnoise idenitfy. not good. I aware it is doctor said found it out seems depression idenitfy. I figure out on my father. . I dont know specific. It is not good.

Back