What would you do with this camera situation?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Let's say that I've decided to start my own camera business. I need to start somewhere. You decide to go out of way and give me your SLR camera just because you are a nice person.

Later on, you found a better camera for sale. I paid cash for it. Now that I've a new camera, I'm not really using the camera that you gave me.

I'm kind of broke. I've decided to sell the camera that you gave me. Keep in mind that I've not put it up on market yet.

What would you do if you were in this situation? Will you try to explain to me how rude it is to sell your camera? Or would you just go ahead and get rid of a roommate who seemingly to lack integrity?

Maybe it's just me, but if I was given a camera, I would ask you first if you would like to have it back. If not, then I would sell it. Maybe sell it and give you money or give it back to you.

I might offer to give it back. But if the giver declines, then I'd sell it and keep the money since the giver could have taken it back and sold it himself.
Sounds like you're the giver & your roommate has your camera. Maybe you can swap your table for the camera. :D

Edit: change words in red font

Last edited:
Derek's scenario is a bit confusing to me, too many "you and I's", but that doesn't really matter. I didn't see the word loan anywhere, just "give".
So, if something was given in good faith it belongs to the receiver, the person who it was given to, to do as pleased. That may include selling it, keeping it, offering it back, selling and offering some of the cash to original owner.

Derek's scenario is a bit confusing to me, too many "you and I's", but that doesn't really matter. I didn't see the word loan anywhere, just "give".
So, if something was given in good faith it belongs to the receiver, the person who it was given to, to do as pleased. That may include selling it, keeping it, offering it back, selling and offering some of the cash to original owner.

You're right. My brain wasn't functioning well enough this morning to use the right word. Should have said "giver".

It depends on the conditions under which the camera was given. If it was truly a gift, then the recipient can do whatever he or she wants to do. If it was a loan, then the recipient needs to give it back to the owner. What was the agreement at the time the camera was given?

This should be a reminder to anyone considering giving something away. If you aren't prepared to fully separate yourself from the item, then don't give it. You can lend it with the clear understanding by both parties (put it in writing) that it is a loan.

If it was a gift, don't expect to get it back. If the recipient, out of kindness of heart, offers it back to you, accept it as an unexpected gift.

It's like lending money. Never "lend" money to anyone and expect it back. Give money that you can afford to say good-bye to. If somehow the recipient is able to pay it back, that's an unexpected gift for you. If the recipient never pays it back, there's no loss to you.

It depends on the conditions under which the camera was given. If it was truly a gift, then the recipient can do whatever he or she wants to do. If it was a loan, then the recipient needs to give it back to the owner. What was the agreement at the time the camera was given?

This should be a reminder to anyone considering giving something away. If you aren't prepared to fully separate yourself from the item, then don't give it. You can lend it with the clear understanding by both parties (put it in writing) that it is a loan.

If it was a gift, don't expect to get it back. If the recipient, out of kindness of heart, offers it back to you, accept it as an unexpected gift.

It's like lending money. Never "lend" money to anyone and expect it back. Give money that you can afford to say good-bye to. If somehow the recipient is able to pay it back, that's an unexpected gift for you. If the recipient never pays it back, there's no loss to you.

Yours is my view on lending money. If I'm asked for a loan, and I can afford to give it, I never expect to see it again, and tell the asker, "it's yours," no paying back. Obviously that doesn't happen very often and has to be a close family member whom I love dearly. :lol:

And lending money a family member can get messy too so you should put in writing that the money is a load if you it back .

I think the best thing for the OP to do it to get rid of his roommate ASAP , he been posting a lot complains about this person . I really don't see why the OP keep putting up the person when they're causing so frustrating in his life.

Back