Smokers Beware, No Jobs for You

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Currently, an Arizona county is contemplating no longer hiring smokers. This has become a nationwide trend among employers. This is not just no smoking while working or on work time. Is this constitutional? Is this discrimination? Apparently not. Discrimination is only defined by if someone is not hired or is fired because of sex, religion, disability, race, national origin or age. The Constitution and The Bill of Rights do not limit the authority of the private workplace.

The Arizona county reasoning for not hiring smokers is because of healthcare costs. Smokers’ healthcare tend to cost more per year than non smokers. But is that a valid reason not to hire someone? What will this lead to next? Obese and overweight people, people with diabetes, people with chronic illnesses or people on medication for life not being hired? Where will they draw the line to cut healthcare costs?

How can your place of employment dictate what you do on your free time? How can they assume that you will cost them more in healthcare just because you smoke? What does that have to do with you as a worker?

The “employment at-will” doctrine gives the employer the right to fire an employee at any time for any reason, or no reason at all. An example of this “at-will’ doctrine was that a woman from Indiana was fired from her job because she smoked at her home, even though she did not smoke on the job.

Potential employees with be given a urine test (like a drug screen) to test for nicotine to see if the candidate is a smoker. There is a flaw in this test though. It screens for nicotine, but not all people who have nicotine in their system are smokers. Nicotine might be detected because of patches (used to quit smoking) and vapor less e-cigarettes (which help quit smoking). Nicotine is not what causes all the diseases and issues associated with smoking, the smoke itself from cigarettes is what causes them. Yet, if you test positive for whatever reason, you are not hirable, even if you are using a nicotine step-down treatment to quit smoking.

The American Civil Liberties Union terms this as “lifestyle discrimination”. Employers have been lifestyle discriminating for years for many reasons. Some discriminate because of weight, drinking, and even because of extracurricular activities like sky diving! This has been going on for years. The ACLU believes the only way to stop this type of discrimination is through state and federal legislation. This country has long been thought of as a place where everyone has individual rights, and that’s true, unless it has to do with the American worker having rights. It is time to stop discrimination in all forms for all people.

http://dcgazette.com/smokers-beware-no-jobs-for-you/

I know lots of non smokers that are health train wrecks. I personally have asthma and am not a smoker. So I think the question "Were does it stop" is valid. If only the healthy, young and strong get jobs and insurance what will 80% of the population do?

I know lots of non smokers that are health train wrecks. I personally have asthma and am not a smoker. So I think the question "Were does it stop" is valid. If only the healthy, young and strong get jobs and insurance what will 80% of the population do?

My younger sister never smoked in her life and has asthma , a lot of kids have it too and do not out grow it. And with the new health bill law you have to pay a fine if you do not health insurance so this really is looking a catch 22 situation

My younger sister never smoked in her life and has asthma , a lot of kids have it too and do not out grow it. And with the new health bill law you have to pay a fine if you do not health insurance so this really is looking a catch 22 situation

That's my problem right now. I can't afford the medication and insurance so how am I going to pay the fine?

That's my problem right now. I can't afford the medication and insurance so how am I going to pay the fine?

Can you get state insurance , I know open enrollment for insurance stopped on Dec 7 in my state , I am not sure if this in every state . That really sink for you , and I think it's criminal to even made people pay a fine when they can't afford to buy insurance in the first place. How the hell can they save any money to buy insurance if they get hit with a fine ???

Can you get state insurance , I know open enrollment for insurance stopped on Dec 7 in my state , I am not sure if this in every state . That really sink for you , and I think it's criminal to even made people pay a fine when they can't afford to buy insurance in the first place. How the hell can they save any money to buy insurance if they get hit with a fine ???

Not sure what I'm gonna do. I have insurance for my son but he has expensive medical bills even with insurance. I make just enough money to not qualify for any thing and not enough to pay the bills. Lot of people in the same boat right now.

As for the smokers I think that Philip Morris should pay the difference.

Not sure what I'm gonna do. I have insurance for my son but he has expensive medical bills even with insurance. I make just enough money to not qualify for any thing and not enough to pay the bills. Lot of people in the same boat right now.

As for the smokers I think that Philip Morris should pay the difference.

I when I was a health aide I had clients that could not afford to pay their meds one woman said one pill cost $5.00 and she took about 5 bottles of meds. There were a lot people in the same boat before the health bill law passed . I am sorry to hear you're going thought this.

Maybe next is to stop hiring people who eat at fast food restaurants?

OMG! FEHB (health benefits for federal employees) don't ask anyone if they smoke or not since the federal government pays about 70-80% of the premium and the employee pays the difference and mostly they (employees) are required to co-pay for the services.

In other words, that county of Arizona is full of shit.

OMG! FEHB (health benefits for federal employees) don't ask anyone if they smoke or not since the federal government pays about 70-80% of the premium and the employee pays the difference and mostly they (employees) are required to co-pay for the services.

:lol:

Arizona County?????

People, no matter what kind of health insurance or their personal rights, need the jobs very badly. If they were fired from their employers' company, they would not be able to find the jobs they need to support families and themselves, then they would become homeless right there.

That is our fear of not being able to get hire. The CEO or the company were very selfish just because of the health insurance that the companies could not afford to take care of their employers. Whether the company like or not, every one need the jobs to earn livings including the benefits. The companies should never discriminate anyone who need the jobs no matter who they are and what their health were, even personal like sky diving which it is a risk but very few could get killed if the parachute was not working. They can not fire or refuse to hire someone who are different than they are. That is all the way discrimination, no matter what. :(

don't smoke that shit

Health care reform doesn't allow health care providers to ask about our pre-existing conditions, I believe. Only life insurance companies can ask.

Back