Do you use interpreter for psychiatrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people may still prefer the blindfold over the discomfort of additional person listening (watching, literally) to their very private emotions, life events.
The blindfold wouldn't prevent the terp from hearing everything that is said by both participants.

Even if some facial expression are important and I do not deny that,
the blindfold will cover only part of the face.
It's not just facial expression, it's ASL grammar as expressed by using non-manual markers.

If you think the Deaf client feels uncomfortable in this setting, how do you think the terp feels being blindfolded in a room with two strangers? Not to mention, the physical discomfort.

And what about deaf-blind? they obviously can't see at all, yet they are able to communicate thru ASL, so that proves to me communication without the facial expression IS possible.

Fuzzy
Possible, yes, but not as accurate or as fluid.

Tactile signing is not just ASL with contact. There's a lot more to it.

I would think that the fewer barriers to communication between the doctor and the patient, the better, and a blindfolded terp looking like a hostage would be a distraction. IMO

But if the OP can set that up to everyone's satisfaction, that's their decision.

I think some people may still prefer the blindfold over the discomfort of additional person listening (watching, literally) to their very private emotions, life events.

Even if some facial expression are important and I do not deny that,
the blindfold will cover only part of the face.
And what about deaf-blind? they obviously can't see at all, yet they are able to communicate thru ASL, so that proves to me communication without the facial expression IS possible.

Fuzzy

I disagree.

ASL communication is not just about the hands. It incorporates facial expression also, not just for conveying emotions but for providing facial grammar. The eyebrows are especially important for the grammar, and a blindfold would cover them up. Not to mention how physically uncomfortable and distracting a blindfold would be. Also, some eye contact is necessary for communication feedback. That is, the interpreter needs to know that the Deaf client is understanding what he/she is conveying, so the terp can make adjustments to the communication.

I think the remote video interpreting might be the way to go.

It just seems degrading to the interpreters as they are professionals.

It just seems degrading to the interpreters as they are professionals.

No, is not as it would be a courtesy gesture on their part,
and secondly nobody is forcing them to.
They are free to agree or decline to wear the blindfold.

Fuzzy

The blindfold wouldn't prevent the terp from hearing everything that is said by both participants.

I already explained about that.

If you think the Deaf client feels uncomfortable in this setting, how do you think the terp feels being blindfolded in a room with two strangers? Not to mention, the physical discomfort.

Victoria Secret sleep mask are super soft and comfy :giggle:
The blind fold is not supposed to be something out of medieval times, Reba - is just to cover the eyes enough to prevent the interpreter from seeing the patient, is all.

As for "how the terp feels"? he /she feels normal.
Well, the "terp" is a professional, isn't he?, Reba
and understands the delicate nature of the psychiatrist appointment, what it involves and how it sometimes may make the patient extremely vulnerable and uncomfortable, and hard to face someone else while taking about extremely private matters.
So, if the terp can not be sensitive about such matters and is afraid to wear the blindfolds he or she has every right to refuse to such request.
Otherwise it should be a problem.

Please keep in mind that I am not forcing anyone to wear a blindfold, just proposing to have that option available if the interpreter also agrees to it.

IMO it is a perfect solution for speaking deaf who know ASL.

Fuzzy

I already explained about that.
So how would that lack of privacy be overcome? If the patient is uncomfortable with sharing, a blindfold won't solve that since the terp will hear everything the patient tells the doctor.

Victoria Secret sleep mask are super soft and comfy :giggle:
The blind fold is not supposed to be something out of medieval times, Reba - is just to cover the eyes enough to prevent the interpreter from seeing the patient, is all.
He or she would still be sitting there without being able to see what's going on, which can make one feel uncomfortable and vulnerable.

As for "how the terp feels"? he /she feels normal.
Well, the "terp" is a professional, isn't he?, Reba
and understands the delicate nature of the psychiatrist appointment, what it involves and how it sometimes may make the patient extremely vulnerable and uncomfortable, and hard to face someone else while taking about extremely private matters.
The patient doesn't need to face the interpreter when talking.

So, if the terp can not be sensitive about such matters and is afraid to wear the blindfolds he or she has every right to refuse to such request.
Otherwise it should be a problem.
Because the terp is a professional, he/she should be able to explain to the patient the interpreting process and ethics in a way that would reassure the patient.

Please keep in mind that I am not forcing anyone to wear a blindfold, just proposing to have that option available if the interpreter also agrees to it.

IMO it is a perfect solution for speaking deaf who know ASL.

Fuzzy
It's a possible solution but I wouldn't call it perfect.

this is where it's time to drop it and move on, Audiofuzzy... in case you didn't get a hint.

It's important to have a live interpreter in these kind of situations. Technology can go wrong if using a computer with an interpreter. Full communication is best with a live interpreter .

So how would that lack of privacy be overcome? If the patient is uncomfortable with sharing, a blindfold won't solve that since the terp will hear everything the patient tells the doctor.

because what REALLY matters in such circumstance is eye to eye contact and privacy issue. it is uncomfortable.
The whole thread was started, may I remind you,
about how extremely uncomfortable is using an interpreter for psychiatric appointment from the same area:
95mainer
I need to see one for a depression problem and counseling for stuff like that but I'm curious, as a deaf person do you request an interpreter if you are going to a local psychiatrist? For me, I'm extremely uncomfortable with this because first of all, I don't tell anyone that I know personally that I have problems with things, so when I request an interpreter it might be a regular interpreter from this area... That would be very uncomfortable for me. What about you?

clearly, the issue here is familiarity.
the privacy issue here is the terp would know how the person look
this could be a big issue for the person who apart from self is going to be talking about, say, a sexual molestation, severe abuse, perhaps coming out as gay person - whatever, but thus involving other person/s, not only him/herself. the terp then knows things not only about the patient but other, unrelated to the appointment people as well.

Will hear, yes, but without knowing the face and without being told the names will not know who that person is, thus protecting the privacy of the patient (AND the patients relatives and friends)

Secondly being sensitive to the patient feelings matters.
if he or she will feel better not looking directly into the eyes of an interpreter, why not make it so?.

And how will the patient know what does the interpreter says?
you just told me how important it is not to have the face covered with blindfold, remember? how the eyebrows movement is important, the facial grammar? so what happened now to that?
now the patient doesn't have to face the terp? yet the blindfold is out of the question? interesting...

Fuzzy

because what REALLY matters in such circumstance is eye to eye contact and privacy issue. it is uncomfortable.
The whole thread was started, may I remind you,
about how extremely uncomfortable is using an interpreter for psychiatric appointment from the same area:
95mainer

clearly, the issue here is familiarity.
the privacy issue here is the terp would know how the person look
this could be a big issue for the person who apart from self is going to be talking about, say, a sexual molestation, severe abuse, perhaps coming out as gay person - whatever, but thus involving other person/s, not only him/herself. the terp then knows things not only about the patient but other, unrelated to the appointment people as well.

Will hear, yes, but without knowing the face and without being told the names will not know who that person is, thus protecting the privacy of the patient (AND the patients relatives and friends)

Secondly being sensitive to the patient feelings matters.
if he or she will feel better not looking directly into the eyes of an interpreter, why not make it so?.
I'm friends with dozens of terps here but it would definitely be weird to have one of them as my terp for my psychiatric session (no I'm not seeing a shrink). fortunately... where I live.... we have tons tons tons of terps from all over. it's very easy to find a terp that I do not know or is not part of "social circle" here... meaning - a terp from out of area.

you just told me how important it is not to have the face covered with blindfold, remember? how the eyebrows movement is important, the facial grammar? so what happened now to that?
now the patient doesn't have to face the terp? yet the blindfold is out of the question? interesting...

Fuzzy
you can look at a terp but a terp does not have to look at you in the eyes if you want it that way...

. . . Quote:

Fuzzy
Note that the statement was about the patient talking. It was following your scenario of a speaking patient. In that case, the patient would be speaking to the doctor.

If, however, you want a scenario where the patient signs instead of speaking, the patient would still face the doctor, not the terp, for eye contact. The patient could still use facial grammar, which the terp can observe without direct eye contact. Signers can observe facial grammar and expression without staring straight on into each others' eyeballs.

Looks like you 'talked' yourself into a corner here Reba :)

Whether from a side or en face, the terp would still see the person he/she is translating for.
My point was to protect privacy and avoid eye contact completely.

I still believe however unusual (and perhaps controversial for some),
it should be possible to ask the translator to volunteer to be blindfolded during translating.
After all, these are special circumstances, calling for utmost sensitivity and understanding in service.

I understand the other side, too - like Shel observed, also the interpreter might feel uncomfortable.
That's why he or she needs to be well explained why is it for and absolutely offered a free choice in the matter, have right to refuse without absolutely no consequences for saying 'no'..

Fuzzy

Jiro;2377598
I'm friends with dozens of terps here but it would definitely be weird to have one of them as my terp for my psychiatric session (no I'm not seeing a shrink). fortunately... where I live.... we have tons tons tons of terps from all over. it's very easy to find a terp that I do not know or is not part of "social circle" here... meaning - a terp from out of area.

Yay.. good for you!!

OP mentioned:
when I request an interpreter it might be a regular interpreter from this area...

and anyway, the thread derailed into theoretical discussion whether or not
it is polite to ask the interpreter to wear blindfold regardless of how many of them is in any given area.

you can look at a terp but a terp does not have to look at you in the eyes if you want it that way...

That way however does not protect the identity of the patient as the terp can see the person for whom he/she is translating. which may be the issue for the patient?

Fuzzy

Last edited:
Not at all.

Whether from a side or en face, the terp would still see the person he/she is translating for.
I guess you don't understand the ASL interpreting process.

it should be possible to ask the translator to volunteer to be blindfolded during translating.
After all, these are special circumstances, calling for utmost sensitivity and understanding in service.
One can always ask.

BTW, in sign language, it's interpreting, not translating.

I understand the other side, too - like Shel observed, also the interpreter might feel uncomfortable.
That's why he or she needs to be well explained why is it for and absolutely offered a free choice in the matter, have right to refuse without absolutely no consequences for saying 'no'..
I'm assuming this "special" request would be explained to the interpreter prior to making the assignment? That is, it's not something one would spring upon the terp upon arrival at the appointment.

Fuzzy

If your English is so good and you don't want an interpreter to have knowledge of your mental health problems, just ask the doctor to write what he/she is telling you.

Thus no third party. And you will look much less crazy than when asking an interpreter to wear a blindfold.

Fuzzy

you have a very fuzzy concept of ASL and terps.... this farce has become pointless and a waste of time.

you have a very fuzzy concept of ASL and terps.... this farce has become pointless and a waste of time.

Maybe I don't, but that doesn't entitle you to be so rude to me all the time.
May I suggest you consider taking etiquette courses.

Fuzzy

If your English is so good and you don't want an interpreter to have knowledge of your mental health problems, just ask the doctor to write what he/she is telling you.

Thus no third party. And you will look much less crazy than when asking an interpreter to wear a blindfold.

"just ask" ??
If it was so easy as merely writing down the response, I wouldn't even consider such an option.

Do people always rush to accommodate you Bottessini? because in my experience 8 times out of 10 they do not have the paper, the pen, they do not know how to spell or if they do agree to write down what they just said usually it is shortened version of what they said. most times they just don't want to.

Doctors is the LAST group of people who are eager to waste their valuable time on a needy patient. Usually when I can not understand something it ends up in "nevermind, nevermind" hand swap.

Do you honestly believe The Doctor God is gonna stoop low and write his lengthy answer to me?

Fuzzy

"just ask" ??
If it was so easy as merely writing down the response, I wouldn't even consider such an option.

Do people always rush to accommodate you Bottessini? because in my experience 8 times out of 10 they do not have the paper, the pen, they do not know how to spell or if they do agree to write down what they just said usually it is shortened version of what they said. most times they just don't want to.

Doctors is the LAST group of people who are eager to waste their valuable time on a needy patient. Usually when I can not understand something it ends up in "nevermind, nevermind" hand swap.

Do you honestly believe The Doctor God is gonna stoop low and write his lengthy answer to me?

Fuzzy

That's how you get in so much trouble using voice with people. Then they think you can understand also.

If are prepared and have the pad and paper, or an app on cell phone or tablet, yes they will.

If they don't accommodate me, communication doesn't happen, and they are not my provider of any service.

Not at all.

I guess you don't understand the ASL interpreting process.

One can always ask.

BTW, in sign language, it's interpreting, not translating.

I'm assuming this "special" request would be explained to the interpreter prior to making the assignment? That is, it's not something one would spring upon the terp upon arrival at the appointment.

maybe I don't, but it is simply a common sense to figure out two people have to face each other if reading eyebrows movement is a must.
otherwise, how are you even able to read somebody eyebrows if you don't look at his eyes? let's not go overboard here for the sake of not losing argument on your part at all cost, OK? you simply can not read properly the eyebrow movement from a side,
you can somewhat (partially) read it but not quite. what if someone is winking his left eye and you see only his right side?
the crux is, your own argument was how the blindfold is out b/c the entire face is needed to be seen.

so, either the entire face or side of the face suffice Reba.

if the side of the face is enough, then also a narrow blindfold is OK, then. b/c the blindfold also don't have to be humongous, a narrow strip of fabric just to prevent from seeying the patient is enough.

As for when the request would placed, yes, of course it would have to be made in advance. It should not be spring on the spot. It is something the interpreter would wish to prepare mentally to consider, yes.
However sometimes there are emergencies, and asking is allowed. but so is refusing with no consequences for saying no.

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back