Has this happened to anyone else.

Baldgorilla

Reaction score
I Very HOH and I was walking through a store today and I noticed people pointing and laughing at me as I was walking by. I know it was not the them seeing the hearing aids.
I stopped and watched them for a minute. Then I saw what they were saying. " Dumbass can't hear his shoes squeaking that loud."
That ticked me off.
Has anyone else had this happen? And if you did what did you do besides fix the shoes?
:wave:

Have I ever been mocked by hearing people? Why yes I have.

What did I do? Added to my impressive store of anger and distaste for hearing people.

I'm old. So there's a little lesson on how I got to be so mean.

:( in this case though, even if you were hearing, you still wouldn't have been able to get out of that situation, your shoes would have been squeaking regardless

I went to by some gas and went into to pay for it and told the guy I was at pump # three and I said 'tree' and the guy mock me by saying "pump 3?" And I said" Yeah pump tree!" My dad gave me speech lesson and that was how she said 'three' coming from Russia . To this day I still say 'tree' for 3
Speech lessons did no good . There are jerks everywhere , try not to let them get to you they're not worth your time of days.

All I can say is...ur shoes must have been very LOUD....:laugh2:...were you wearing any socks?....if not, then maybe ur feet were perspiring...and makes a "squishing" sound...Maybe just throw them shoes in the trash and get better fitting shoes ??

I don't remember any teases or mocks by hearing adults, but I was laughed at by cruel children even when I was a young girl and soon later a young woman. The hearing children don't know that I am deaf. I talked funny and most often I walked funny. I don't walk like a normal person walked. I have problem trying to control my balance and that is probably why I walked like as if I was drunk which I was not. :(

Loud distractions will always get a hearing person's attention, but reactions really vary. Maybe they just simply found it amusing, others may want to treat you to a lower standard. Just maintain your composure and move on, go along with those who are just being friendly - if you are comfortable socializing with whatever works for you, but never overreact, you'll look worse than their intentions.

I have never been made fun of ....to my knowledge anyway, but what really embarrasses me is when my hearing aids are squealing because they inadvertently got turned up too high, and I can't hear that sound. I have learned that when people start looking around in a befuddled manner "what is that noise"?, ok that's me, then I have to explain what it is. I just don't like it when I bother other people.

It happened recently when I was waiting for my dr to enter the room, the minute she opened the door she almost screamed at me , "do you know your hearing aids are ringing"? ugh, I was soo embarrassed!

Now these people were adults or thought they were. I have been HOH all my life and just very recently lost almost all of it. Rocking Robin. I am an older person so I wear socks. LOL. What was making all the noise is the hinge of the brace I have to wear on leg. But to me it seems that people have gotten colder now days. They have no feeling for anyone else.

Now these people were adults or thought they were. I have been HOH all my life and just very recently lost almost all of it. Rocking Robin. I am an older person so I wear socks. LOL. What was making all the noise is the hinge of the brace I have to wear on leg. But to me it seems that people have gotten colder now days. They have no feeling for anyone else.

Perhaps some WD-40 Oil might help?...

I have never been made fun of ....to my knowledge anyway, but what really embarrasses me is when my hearing aids are squealing because they inadvertently got turned up too high, and I can't hear that sound. I have learned that when people start looking around in a befuddled manner "what is that noise"?, ok that's me, then I have to explain what it is. I just don't like it when I bother other people.

It happened recently when I was waiting for my dr to enter the room, the minute she opened the door she almost screamed at me , "do you know your hearing aids are ringing"? ugh, I was soo embarrassed!

I just laugh it off my hearing aid start feed backing . This happen at a cousin
wedding , the bride was walking out and my HA started to feed back and I did not hear it but my sister did and she was freaking out and elbowing me to stop my HA from feed backing . My older sister was really embarrasses and I was not. My sister was drawing more attention than my HA. LOL!

Man, I just don't know what's wrong with some people. You're right, they must have no feeling for anyone else.

My son-in-law wears a below-the-knee prosthetic leg which is visible (he wears shorts most of the year) and makes some noise (it has a computerized motor). He hasn't mentioned any gawkers or mockers but I'll have to ask him if that's a problem.

If your brace is making excessive noise, maybe it does need some adjusting or servicing.

Still, that doesn't justify people pointing and laughing.

Man, I just don't know what's wrong with some people. You're right, they must have no feeling for anyone else.

My son-in-law wears a below-the-knee prosthetic leg which is visible (he wears shorts most of the year) and makes some noise (it has a computerized motor). He hasn't mentioned any gawkers or mockers but I'll have to ask him if that's a problem.

If your brace is making excessive noise, maybe it does need some adjusting or servicing.

Still, that doesn't justify people pointing and laughing.

People that act like that have no class and I would love to walk up to them and say " Didn't your mother tell you it was not to polite to point at other people ?"

I use a gutter arm walking frame and braces the full length of both legs and people stop and stare at me as they walk past but I try to ignore them when possible. It's easier when I'm walking with someone and I just keep my eyes on the ground in front of me but if I'm alone I get very self conscious.

I have never been laughed at for wearing hearing aids but I do feel stupid in public places when I have to ask people to repeat themselves sometimes many times until I give up or ask my partner what they said.

People that act like that have no class and I would love to walk up to them and say " Didn't your mother tell you it was not to polite to point at other people ?"

I've been known to turn around and tell them to go watch a medical drama on tv if they're so nosy. It just depends on what mood I'm in.

Once a table full of people were gawking at my nebuliser which I had to use because laughing gave me asthma in a pizza restaurant. I turned my pizza box around so the inside of the lid was facing them and wrote "staring is rude!!" on it.

Silvara, I use to do the same thing when I was alone somewhere. Walk with my head down. Try not to do that. Hold your head up and be proud of who you are. Your a survivor. I still have some trouble when talking to new people. But there are some people that will work with you. I got a shock today. I went and got hair cut today. It took aids out and the woman that was giving me the hair cut did something I have never had happen. She wanted to talk to me and she took the time to look at me when she talked to me. In all my years that is the first time someone took time to do that. All I had to do is tell her I read lips.

Silvara, I use to do the same thing when I was alone somewhere. Walk with my head down. Try not to do that. Hold your head up and be proud of who you are. Your a survivor. I still have some trouble when talking to new people. But there are some people that will work with you. I got a shock today. I went and got hair cut today. It took aids out and the woman that was giving me the hair cut did something I have never had happen. She wanted to talk to me and she took the time to look at me when she talked to me. In all my years that is the first time someone took time to do that. All I had to do is tell her I read lips.

Yes, I have encountered that before. I have had people patiently take the time to make sure I understood what was being said, and that's a part of the reason why I liked living in Rogers Park-- people were very patient there. Now, as for where I live now, well, the situation is completely different, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Have I ever been mocked by hearing people? Why yes I have.

What did I do? Added to my impressive store of anger and distaste for hearing people.

I'm old. So there's a little lesson on how I got to be so mean.

How did honesty and a questioning mind with a distaste for b.s. turn into mean in todays world?

I used to have a pair custom made high top leather workboots that squeaked super loud. Fellow workers would kid me about them. I sprayed them inside and out with Wd40. They did good till they got wet. I give people a fairly broad kidding latitude but there is the too far knuckleheads out that think have a good time at someone elses expense is funny. I have been called retarded and other choice things. It is up to each of us to be our own hero inspite of them. Grrr

When I had hearing aids, yeah the squeak.

My SO bought me a key finder that had a bright blinking light and a very high pitched beep. Of course, I couldn't hear the high pitched beep, but the bright blinking light, I could see if I misplaced my keys. Anyway, I was sitting in class and everyone was looking around and then everyone looked at me. My key finder was beeping in my purse and I couldn't hear it. No one mocked me, but it was kind of embarrassing.

It's really hard for me to think of a specific example of being mocked, because I look at them like "You're a dumba$$" and then move on.

Back