Hello! I'm (sort of) new here!

Jason Paul

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
I am fairly shy (even though I sometimes don’t seem to be so), which is the reason I have not posted yet, and have only been watching for the little bit of time that I have been registered, and have now decided to post an introductory about myself.

My name is Jason, a Canadian in my mid-teens. I am hard of hearing in both ears, a sensorineural bilateral loss, with my right ear being profound, while my left ear is moderate-severe. I was born a year before it became mandatory that hearing tests were performed on all babies after birth, so my hearing loss was missed by the doctors, although my parents had noticed fairly quickly, since I was not responding too much to noise. After a lot of persistence from my parents, the doctors had an audiologist give me a hearing test when I was three years old, through which it was found that I am hard of hearing, and so I got my first pair of hearing aids when I was four years old.

I’m going to fast forward a bit, because I could talk on and on about the first few years of my life. I went to a lot of schools, and got bullied quite a bit throughout those years, until I was 10. It was mostly verbal, but it still hurt.

Shortly after I turned seven years old, I went to my ENT doctor with my mom. The doctor had me take my hearing aids out as he did his check up, and told my mom that I was going to be deaf within a year, and that there was not much point in my wearing hearing aids anymore (looking back, I don’t get why he said that – the hearing aids were still helping, even if only minimally). Despite the ENT’s recommendation I wore my hearing aids, and my parents were (and still are) very supportive, and a year later, much to the ENT’s surprise my hearing had actually gotten better, instead of worsening as he had predicted.

Since then, I have moved to escape bullying (I’m much happier now), and not much else has changed, although my hearing has gotten worse, and I have developed tinnitus (I’m currently listening to a sound just like my lawn mower – a great lullaby for sleeping, haha). I’m super excited for my next year of high school with the courses I selected (mostly Math, English, and History based). I have been in mainstream school pretty much my whole life, just because all the Schools for the Deaf near the places I have lived kept closing down. At my current school, there are other d/Deaf/hard of hearing students, and so this year I am going to try to get over my social shyness and awkwardness and meet a few of them (right now, other than myself, I do not know of anyone who is d/Deaf/hard of hearing).

I am trying to learn American Sign Language, and I have some resources (my mom’s university textbook from a class she took, and websites), and I don’t know much but I would like to take a college or university course in which I could learn American Sign Language from an instructor though, because I worry I am not learning ASL right, and because I am finding it hard to learn signs from a book. The school I am going to is near a college that I think has courses in ASL, so I am thinking I could take evening ASL courses during high school. My family is learning some American Sign Language as well, which is great. If I go to an ASL class, one of my relatives would likely go with me, so I’ll have someone to practice with.

Anyways, those are the main parts of my life and my hearing history. My parents don’t really want me putting very personal information about myself on the internet, which I respect, so if there is something I have left out that you guys would like to know, I will answer unless my parents are uncomfortable with it.

I may not post too much in different topics, just every once in a while, but I just wanted to let you all know who I am, where I come from, and that I am here. :)
I hope you are all having a great day!
-Jason Paul

Hello, everyone!
I am fairly shy (even though I sometimes don’t seem to be so), which is the reason I have not posted yet, and have only been watching for the little bit of time that I have been registered, and have now decided to post an introductory about myself.

My name is Jason, a Canadian in my mid-teens. I am hard of hearing in both ears, a sensorineural bilateral loss, with my right ear being profound, while my left ear is moderate-severe. I was born a year before it became mandatory that hearing tests were performed on all babies after birth, so my hearing loss was missed by the doctors, although my parents had noticed fairly quickly, since I was not responding too much to noise. After a lot of persistence from my parents, the doctors had an audiologist give me a hearing test when I was three years old, through which it was found that I am hard of hearing, and so I got my first pair of hearing aids when I was four years old.

I’m going to fast forward a bit, because I could talk on and on about the first few years of my life. I went to a lot of schools, and got bullied quite a bit throughout those years, until I was 10. It was mostly verbal, but it still hurt.

Shortly after I turned seven years old, I went to my ENT doctor with my mom. The doctor had me take my hearing aids out as he did his check up, and told my mom that I was going to be deaf within a year, and that there was not much point in my wearing hearing aids anymore (looking back, I don’t get why he said that – the hearing aids were still helping, even if only minimally). Despite the ENT’s recommendation I wore my hearing aids, and my parents were (and still are) very supportive, and a year later, much to the ENT’s surprise my hearing had actually gotten better, instead of worsening as he had predicted.

Since then, I have moved to escape bullying (I’m much happier now), and not much else has changed, although my hearing has gotten worse, and I have developed tinnitus (I’m currently listening to a sound just like my lawn mower – a great lullaby for sleeping, haha). I’m super excited for my next year of high school with the courses I selected (mostly Math, English, and History based). I have been in mainstream school pretty much my whole life, just because all the Schools for the Deaf near the places I have lived kept closing down. At my current school, there are other d/Deaf/hard of hearing students, and so this year I am going to try to get over my social shyness and awkwardness and meet a few of them (right now, other than myself, I do not know of anyone who is d/Deaf/hard of hearing).

I am trying to learn American Sign Language, and I have some resources (my mom’s university textbook from a class she took, and websites), and I don’t know much but I would like to take a college or university course in which I could learn American Sign Language from an instructor though, because I worry I am not learning ASL right, and because I am finding it hard to learn signs from a book. The school I am going to is near a college that I think has courses in ASL, so I am thinking I could take evening ASL courses during high school. My family is learning some American Sign Language as well, which is great. If I go to an ASL class, one of my relatives would likely go with me, so I’ll have someone to practice with.

Anyways, those are the main parts of my life and my hearing history. My parents don’t really want me putting very personal information about myself on the internet, which I respect, so if there is something I have left out that you guys would like to know, I will answer unless my parents are uncomfortable with it.

I may not post too much in different topics, just every once in a while, but I just wanted to let you all know who I am, where I come from, and that I am here. :)
I hope you are all having a great day!
-Jason Paul

Hi, nice to meet you :), I am also shy and HOH :)

Hi Jason,
I think you pretty much cover all we need to know about you and I think it's great your parents are watching what you do post about yourself on line. I wish more parents where like your parents , they sound like really great parents.

Hi Jason,
I think you pretty much cover all we need to know about you and I think it's great your parents are watching what you do post about yourself on line. I wish more parents where like your parents , they sound like really great parents.
Thanks for the compliment towards my parents - they are pretty great! I am also glad that I have gotten pretty much everything that you all would want to know! :D

I think taking an ASL class with a native speaker is a great idea, very lucky to have family willing to learn with you, you'll see that it is a common complaint/ stress of many when they don't even try/ get annoyed/ give up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Thanks everyone for the welcomes, it is greatly appreciated! There is a lady who goes to my church who works at the local college, so I am thinking about asking her if she knows anything about the course. I also found myself a new ASL book at Chapters, so I am giving it a read through (Signing for Dummies - so far it seems pretty good).

Hi~! Good to see another HOH here. Glad to see you persevere through life and all the bullying. I know what you felt! Keep going and learning ASL. I think it will push you forward to be a success anywhere in life. So proud that your parents are protective and they should be, that is called good parenting~!

Hi~! Good to see another HOH here. Glad to see you persevere through life and all the bullying. I know what you felt! Keep going and learning ASL. I think it will push you forward to be a success anywhere in life. So proud that your parents are protective and they should be, that is called good parenting~!

Thanks, Melissa! It is nice to be able to have contact with HOH and d/Deaf people. It's great knowing there are people who have similar experiences with me that I can ask questions, talk with in topics, etc. I found out I can't take the ASL course this year (although we all want to), so maybe next year. So I'll stick to my books for now! I think you are right, ASL can help push me to success. Thanks again for the welcome and the kind words! (And I'm passing the compliment on to my parents right now )

-Jason

welcome Jason! (same type of hearing loss here like you) *status too if U see my signature*

yes, my hearing aids are cool (and old now that it's only 3 years old LOL)

hı welcome to thıs site. ım not deaf/hard of hearing but ım very interesting all about that. ı have been trying to learn asl to and its very hard for me because no one know asl in turkey :( so... if you want to practise for someone or just gossip/chat ım here a lot of time :D welcome again

welcome Jason! (same type of hearing loss here like you) *status too if U see my signature*

yes, my hearing aids are cool (and old now that it's only 3 years old LOL)

Thanks for the welcome, Safarigirl2011! Pretty cool we have the same type of hearing loss! :) What type of hearing aids do you have? My hearing recently dipped a little lower, to the point that I said in my first post, and my family and I are going to talk with my audiologist about getting new hearing aids today, as well as another hearing test. Maybe I could consider getting a newer version of yours, if they work good, along with whatever suggestions the audiologist may give.

-Jason

hı welcome to thıs site. ım not deaf/hard of hearing but ım very interesting all about that. ı have been trying to learn asl to and its very hard for me because no one know asl in turkey :( so... if you want to practise for someone or just gossip/chat ım here a lot of time :D welcome again

Hello, sena yildirim! Good for you for learning ASL! It's a fun language to learn! I'm sorry, but I'm not really allowed to chat like that, although I do hope you can find someone to chat with. Good luck with your ASL learning!

-Jason

Thanks for the welcome, Safarigirl2011! Pretty cool we have the same type of hearing loss! :) What type of hearing aids do you have? My hearing recently dipped a little lower, to the point that I said in my first post, and my family and I are going to talk with my audiologist about getting new hearing aids today, as well as another hearing test. Maybe I could consider getting a newer version of yours, if they work good, along with whatever suggestions the audiologist may give.

-Jason

I have the Safari 600 P at the moment but will get the Neras in December!
(the Oticon Sensei is pretty much kinda like the one I have now too if you want to go cuckoo for it!) *if it's bad, Safari SP can be for ya*

I have the Safari 600 P at the moment but will get the Neras in December!
(the Oticon Sensei is pretty much kinda like the one I have now too if you want to go cuckoo for it!) *if it's bad, Safari SP can be for ya*

Thanks for letting me know! I'll look those up! :) My audiologist recommended Naída Q70 by Phonak, have you heard much positive stuff about these? I see discussions on here about NAIDA's, are they the same thing? (Haha, sorry for the bombardment of questions)
And you currently have the Oticon Safari? That is actually the precise hearing aids I have right now for my ears (cool coincidence)! Although I'm not sure about the specifics about mine, just that it is a version of the Safari.

-Jason

Thanks for letting me know! I'll look those up! :) My audiologist recommended Naída Q70 by Phonak, have you heard much positive stuff about these? I see discussions on here about NAIDA's, are they the same thing? (Haha, sorry for the bombardment of questions)
And you currently have the Oticon Safari? That is actually the precise hearing aids I have right now for my ears (cool coincidence)! Although I'm not sure about the specifics about mine, just that it is a version of the Safari.

-Jason

I do currently have the Oticon Safari :)

some Naidas can be in different verisons according to the model! *some of the peeps here have the Naida*

Back