Feeling Different/ Left Out. Suggestions????

How did you get into the military? I tried as my friends all enlisted, I was denied due to my hearing and I could hear fairly well back when I was younger ( just couldn't hear high pitched sounds)??? Military wouldn't accept anyone with hearing impairments at all regardless.

I am so sorry I was not being clear. My husband served 20+ years in the Air Force. Champus took care of my hearing aids.

Normal is subjective and varies from culture to culture and even social group to social group. You didn't miss out on anything for not knowing ASL because you still have time to learn and grow as a person. Everyone does.

That is true. I do have time. I just hope to not lose anymore of what I have left. I like it where it is..

It seems to me that she married someone that was in the military. Family can go along to some posts in Europe for example.

You are right.. I forgot to be more clear in my sentences.. I probably was tired and not in the right frame of mind.

I do think she missed out on a lot of positive identity stuff thou....It sounds like she grew up Totally Inclusive....Like Auditory-Verbal without the AVT...Which is a horrible way to grow up if you think about it. It at its CORE, is about appearing as Normal As Possible...it really doesn't acknowledge that specialized stuff might actually HELP a kid achieve, academicly and socially. I have NO beef whatsoever with parents who made the decision to give their kids a full toolbox. I actually know of some kids who were raised that way (and maybe even went to Deaf School) who decided that they prefer to speak.(we have our own Meg here who had that experience) That's awesome for that minority...... But they had that CHOICE....Most oral/AVT kids did not have that choice........

I did grow up with auditory-verbal. I had no IEP plan or 504 plan that is available to kids now who are mainstreamed in school. I never had any special equipment to help me at all. I have my own internal clock which is currently screwed up since my biological clock has decided to kick in early. My mother has told me time and time again that it was the best thing she could do for me at the time. ( she was a young mother ). I did not have a choice in what I wanted to do because it was never introduced to me and when I did finally meet someone one summer, I was interested in learning. It was short lived because the person I met was only in town for the summer and that didn't last long.

We have all been there and done that. Again, I think many parents meant well.....they just didn't understand the long term effects or the fact that maybe specialized stuff might be BENIFICAL for us........

I grew up in a small town, went to public school all my life, speech, lip reading and various hearing aids. My parents wanted me to be as normal as possible in the sense it would make me a strong person in life.
I for some reason now feel that I have missed out on what was suppose to be normal for me. My entire family is hearing. I am HOH and feel that if I had learned some ASL, then I would not feel so different and empowered as capable in both worlds. I know a little sign, but use it as I was taught English in school. When I do see sign, I have a hard time picking it up unless the signee is using their speech as well.
what to do? any suggestions???

try very hard to learn,join deaf clubs look into deaf culture and stop the pity party...I am being hard but that what you going have to do

If you're afraid that the Deaf culture will reject you.....I think many people understand that most of us did not chose the oral only path...If you go in with an open mind, and explain your path 99.9% of the time, you'll be accepted...Many Deaf people didn't grow up Deaf.....Lots of them joined the community as teens or adults! You can too!

If you're afraid that the Deaf culture will reject you.....I think many people understand that most of us did not chose the oral only path...If you go in with an open mind, and explain your path 99.9% of the time, you'll be accepted...Many Deaf people didn't grow up Deaf.....Lots of them joined the community as teens or adults! You can too!

Thanks so much for the positive. You are right tho.. I am afraid to be rejected. i am going to keep an open mind and see what I can do.
:hug:

Thanks so much for the positive. You are right tho.. I am afraid to be rejected. i am going to keep an open mind and see what I can do.
:hug:
You'll never know until you try.

Keep in mind, the deaf community, like all communities, has its sweethearts and its buttheads; don't take too much personally. :)

You'll never know until you try.

Keep in mind, the deaf community, like all communities, has its sweethearts and its buttheads; don't take too much personally. :)

Now that is a very true statement~! :lol:

Back