Hi Everyone!

thesoundofsilence

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Melissa, ppl call me miss. I have a sensorial hearing loss in the sever/profound range. I also have tinnitus (it's enough to drive me nuts sometime..Lol!)
I wasn't diagnosed with a hearing impairment until my 20s when I got my first set of CICs. Although the aids helped I still had much trouble hearing ppl and it effected my social life greatly. I still have anxiety in social situations.
I'm excited to be a part of this community! I don't have any friends or family with hearing impairments and although they can empathize I don't think they really understand what it's like.
I hope to make some new friends and get some good advice. I posted a question about hearing aids in the general forum for anyone that feels like sharing some knowledge;)

Welcome to AD! my name is Melissa too! I have a profound sensorineural hearing loss, no tinnitus though! Diagnosed at 9 months of age and got my first HA's(bodyworn) at 14 months!

Miss,
Welcome aboard!
Unfortunately, for those of use with a sensorinueral loss HA's aren't going to correct our hearing so we hear like everyone else, they will help, but that's about all, so you will still have problems no matter what HA you wear.
People who don't have hearing loss don't understand what it's like and I always like the ones that say, "you didn't hear me? I thought you had hearing aids" like I'm supposed to now have the hearing like a dog or something. Then you tell them what you can and can't hear and it goes in one of their ears and out the other. Anyway, I hope you find the site helpful and make some friends that do understand what it's like.

welcome to AD! some of us may be in that road but don't be afraid to be friends with all of the peeps ;)

@seb , aint that the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

Seb, I had a chuckle when I read your post! So true! oh (eye roll) hearing people! LOL

Back