Questions about fingerspelling.

BeckiGreen

Reaction score
I have a few questions about fingerspelling, first is the letter O. Is the letter O done with the knuckles facing forward, or is the the letter O turned sideways? I'm trying not to make this confusing when I describe this. Next is the letter G. I have seen G as the index and thumb turned sideways,other websites say index finger and thumb are facing forward. I tried to read about it on Wikipedia, but got more confused because of this- "For example, the letters G and H are frequently shown from the side to illustrate the position of the fingers. However, they are signed with the hand in an ergonomically neutral position, palm facing to the side and fingers pointing forward." So I don't know which is the correct way. My daughter is named Colleen, I would be so embarrassed if I finger spelled it C0lleen. Here is the link I was reading about fingerspelling,if anyone is interested-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_manual_alphabet
Thanks for anyone that can clear this up for me.

I wonder what the sign for temple would be. I watch some of it but there are no CC .I wanted my family to learn ASL but my daughter and granddaughter are not interested in learning it. I just hope I do not lose any more hearing.

Go to the main Lifeprint page and at the top there will be a row of letters A to Z ... click on the T letter and it will bring the T words up on the left side of the page. Scroll down that list till you find the word temple and click that it will bring how to sign that word up on the main page. It has pictures showing how to sign it not video and variations and how to do that too.

Go to the main Lifeprint page and at the top there will be a row of letters A to Z ... click on the T letter and it will bring the T words up on the left side of the page. Scroll down that list till you find the word temple and click that it will bring how to sign that word up on the main page. It has pictures showing how to sign it not video and variations and how to do that too.

Thank you . It's difference that for church . I guess if I watch some utube it would refresh my memory . I was learning ASL in Berkeley, Cal at a center for head and hoh people . But when I moved back east I had no one to practice with , I am the only hoh person in my family . I feel kind of cheated not learning about ASL when I was a little girl.

Thank you . It's difference that for church . I guess if I watch some utube it would refresh my memory . I was learning ASL in Berkeley, Cal at a center for head and hoh people . But when I moved back east I had no one to practice with , I am the only hoh person in my family . I feel kind of cheated not learning about ASL when I was a little girl.

I understand that I'm the only one in my family that can't hear and when my ex and I split up (she and her son used ASL) I quit using ASL and forgot most of what I know.

I understand that I'm the only one in my family that can't hear and when my ex and I split up (she and her son used ASL) I quit using ASL and forgot most of what I know.

Yeah it was hard being the only one hoh growing up , there was not one kid in grade school hoh so I really felt out of place I home and school.

much same happen to me live cut off town family gone,just few young people to dign with,depressing do you thunk
BSL vowels are on left hand fingers more straight forward

It's too bad you can't take a real live ASL class.

In my interpreting program, we had one whole semester class on just finger spelling and numbers. It's a lot more involved than people think.

Don't forget that you also have to learn the letters in combinations. They are signed differently in combinations than when used individually, such as the "doubles" (ee, ll, oo, bb, ff, etc.).

It's too bad you can't take a real live ASL class.

In my interpreting program, we had one whole semester class on just finger spelling and numbers. It's a lot more involved than people think.

Don't forget that you also have to learn the letters in combinations. They are signed differently in combinations than when used individually, such as the "doubles" (ee, ll, oo, bb, ff, etc.).

Yes, I would love to take a live ASL class, but there are none, even the Bill Rice Ranch in my city doesn't offer them. I learned about doubles,ee,ff, etc a while ago. I just see some people sign a O forward, sideways, and half sideways when I watch tv or stuff on the net.

Back