Made in the USA: 13 All-American Dog Breeds

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Do you know where your dog hails from? With some, it’s easy. Irish Setter: Ireland. English Springer Spaniel: England. German Shorthaired Pointer: Germany. Think you’re catching on? How about the Australian Shepherd? Pawesome fun fact: Does not come from Australia. Who knew? Those dogs are actually made in the USA. So we didn’t win that World Pup, who cares? We can celebrate our country anyway. Learn more about Australian Shepherds and other all-American dogs.

1. Australian Shepherd

Australian_black_tricolour.jpg

Aussies were developed on ranches in the western United States, and were seen as early as the 1800s. These pups are very focused, and need lots of attention, pawsitive reinforcement, and exercise. They can still be found working on the ranch, but also work as guide dogs, therapy dogs, drug detectors, and of course, man’s best friend.

2. Catahoula Leopard Dog

catahoula.jpg

The Catahoula originated in Louisiana near the Catahoula Lake, its namesake. They’re so pupular that Louisiana named them the state dog in 1979. Catahoulas have herding instincts, but have also competed successfully in dog sled racing in Canada.

3. Redbone Coonhound

800px-Redbone_Coonhound.jpg

This dog descends from handsome red foxhounds. Although Redbone breeders concentrated on flashy looks, people seek them out for their good looks and strong hunting abilities. They are excellent swimmers, so make sure you take your pup to the pool.

4. Alaskan Malamute

1024px-Alaskan_malamute.jpg

This pooch is the largest and oldest of the Arctic sled dogs. They aren’t built to race, but rather to carry large loads over long distances. Alaskan malamutes make loving family dogs, and respond well to training. However, they will need regular exercise, so they fit best with an active family.

5. Boston Terrier

1024px-Boston_Terrier_Puppy_001.jpg

Nicknamed “The American Gentleman” for their gentle disposition and dapper appearance, this English bulldog-white English terrier mix is low maintenance and quite the lover, making them the perfect house or apawtment pooch.

6. American Water Spaniel

americanwater.jpg

Hello, Wisconsin! Wisconsin’s state dog, the American water spaniel, loves daily exercise, but also enjoys relaxing with his hoomans. These dogs respond well to training, as they are eager to please.

7. Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Chesapeakebayretriever01-l.jpg

Two Newfoundland dogs were rescued when a British brig wrecked off the coast of Maryland in 1807. People in the area bred them with local dogs to develop this breed. Chessies, Maryland’s state dog, are the toughest water retrievers around.

8. American Eskimo Dog

800px-American_Eskimo_Dog.jpg

Eskies’ alert and intelligent nature makes them great watchdogs. Their fluffy coats shed a lot, so they need to be bathed and brushed on a regular basis. You might consider not wearing black clothes with an American eskimo dog in the house. This dog is a member of the Spitz family.

9. Plott Hound

plott.jpg

This North Carolina state dog is all muscle! They have a strong voice, but are eager to please, loyal, and alert in the home. Plotts are often used as hunting dogs, and they require regular exercise.

10. Rat Terrier

800px-Rat_Terrier.jpg

These little guys were bred to be farm dogs, but they ruv living comfy lives as members of hooman families. A mix of dogs form this breed, including the Italian greyhound and beagle. They excel in agility and obedience training.

11. Chinook

800px-Chinook_Olympics_07_136.jpg

This canine has an interesting pawwst. Polar explorer Arthur Treadwell Walden developed the breed during the early 1900s to be a sled dog with endurance, an eagerness to learn, and a gentle nature. Guinness recorded them as the rarest dogs in the world in 1965, but the Chinook breed has been growing ever since.

12. American Staffordshire Terrier/American Pit Bull Terrier AKA Pitties!

800px-American_Staffordshire_TerrierCleo.jpg

These dogs have a bad rep, but dog lovers find them to be the most fun-loving goofballs around. They’re very people-oriented and thrive best when they get to be part of a family. This loyal dog makes a great protector. Fun fact: An American staffordshire terrier named Stubby earned the rank of Sergeant, and was the most decorated dog of WWI.

13. Toy Fox Terrier

1024px-Toy_Fox_Terrier_2.jpg

Big dogs come in small packages! The toy fox terrier has a take charge attitude. Their small size makes them ideal apartment dogs, but they also love being outdoors. They can hunt, excel in obedience, but also love chilling on the couch!

Made in the USA: 13 All-American Dog Breeds - The BarkPost

My son wanted a corgi. Interesting he's 10 yrs old. Ha Too bad corgi can't be mixed with cat breed eh

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Yeah I loved a lot of those canine expressions:)

At the pet supply shop where I work, a guy with a Water Spaniel - #6 - came in recently. I rarely see them.
We do get Catahoula or Cat-mixes at the shelter and have had a fair amount of Red Bones or mixes in.

Chessies <Chessie Retriever> are neat dogs and the color phases have some interesting names: "sedge", "deadgrass"
Cool dogs but super-tough, very high working drive, has a more protective nature than most of the other Retrievers.

My first mentor/master trainer had Aussies and a small hobby farm with chickens - maybe 12-14 - and horses and a very small flock of sheep for her Aussies and her BC to work.

Of course my beloved "pit bulls" are on there, what a lovely blue with her ball and her natural ears:D

other breeds of interest to me<though not US-based>:

oh there's also the English Shepherd English Shepherd Club - Home
which another of my mentor trainers lived with - she had several, some through rescue. Heritage Farm dogs, working dogs, Border Collie or Aussie-like in appearance and un-known by most people. I didn't learn about them til working with this person.

the Dutch Shepherd, a personal interest of mine - super-high, military/working dog drive..multi-purpose Dutch herding dog.

the Cane corso - another personal interest...Italian molosser breed <example>http://www.texasccr.org/lisa/

i know i wont get a dog but keep dreaming.. i d like to have corgi mixed with papallion or any other small size and breed doggie. I do miss dogs so much!! i rather wait until i retire then i can take care of dogs all day.

Dogmom, one of the vets I work with has a Dutch Shepherd x Belgian Malonois. I love her and I want to steal her! The vet is doing SAR training with her.

:wave: frostywolf - Mal/Dutchie cross....wow,...off-switch I hope
SAR is a great outlet!

i know i wont get a dog but keep dreaming.. i d like to have corgi mixed with papallion or any other small size and breed doggie. I do miss dogs so much!! i rather wait until i retire then i can take care of dogs all day.

Our rescue league here has a 4 month old Corgi mix today. He is mixed with German Shepard. He looks like a Shepard with tiny dwarf legs! Very cute. :D

yup Frisky, one of the Rotties we know does SAR.

That little Corgi mix must be adorable, Botti!
I've seen a few Corgi mixes, including several what looked like Yellow Lab/Corgi.
Those ones looked like Yellow Labs with dwarfism.

I recently saw a Pomeranian/Husky mix.

Our rescue league here has a 4 month old Corgi mix today. He is mixed with German Shepard. He looks like a Shepard with tiny dwarf legs! Very cute. :D

Wonder if corgi has strong genes that can pass to mix with other dogs and still get short legs. adorbale

Back