Use Bluetooth to Speak Directly into Wife's Hearing Aid?

TromboneAl

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the hearing husband of an HOH wife. Our biggest problem is talking in the car, where road noise makes it hard to hear.

Her hearing aid can add bluetooth capability. Would it work for me to get a bluetooth microphone, so that I could be speaking directly into her hearing aid?

Have any of you tried something like that?

Thanks!

Al

Hi,

I'm the hearing husband of an HOH wife. Our biggest problem is talking in the car, where road noise makes it hard to hear.

Her hearing aid can add bluetooth capability. Would it work for me to get a bluetooth microphone, so that I could be speaking directly into her hearing aid?

Thanks!

Al

In the not so distant past it was hard to find Bluetooth mics. Phonak now has one called Remote Mic. I don't know if other HA providers have mics or not. The Phonak one should be able to be paired with with any bluetooth receiver she might have. I paired it with a BT neckloop I bought recently while my ComPilot was in the shop.

It would depend on what type of hearing aid she has. I have a starkey which has a streamer device that allows you to talk into the mic on the streamer which goes directly to the user's hearing aid. No blutooth needed. But you would need to be using the Starkey hearing aid and get the surflink mobile streamer device. I think most of the other leading hearing aid brands have a similar device you may be able to use.

You can not bluetooth a mic directly to a hearing aid. I don't know of any hearing aid that is bluetooth compatible directly with the hearing aid itself. They usually have a streamer that you connect to via bluetooth, then the streamer sends a different kind of signal to the hearing aid.

Hi,

Thanks!

Al

This means her hearing aids can work with a streamer which has Bluetooth within the streamer to connect to cell phones etc. No hearing aids actually have Bluetooth in side them as battery power is too much for Bluetooth.

Might be a cheaper option, you can get a loop system made for the cars which runs from the cigarette lighter thing (not sure of the actual name) and it picks up well. I've used one in my friends car, who is also deaf. We had full seats one time with everyone being deaf. The loop system stood up well and we could all hear each other as well as we could.

Wow, thanks for the quick and informative replies.

Since posting, I've talked with the place she got her aid. I could get a bluetooth streamer doohickey for $150, a clip-on mic that would talk directly to her hearing aid for $170, and a TV streamer (would also be nice) for $240.

So, I could either buy the dedicated mic and TV streamer for $420 or the bluetooth streamer and a bluetooth headset and bluetooth transmitter (for the TV) for about $210.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Al

My thinking is that if I got the bluetooth converter, then I could buy a bluetooth headset mic, and bluetooth TV output device.

The only warning I will give about using bluetooth for the TV, there is usually a slight delay and the sounds may not sync up with the sounds coming from the TV and from the people talking on the screen. Some people find this very annoying. Almost like those old fashion kung-fu movies where the lips move and the english translation come out a few seconds later. But this wont be noticeable when you don't have video, so for talking in the car, it would be OK.

The only warning I will give about using bluetooth for the TV, there is usually a slight delay and the sounds may not sync up with the sounds coming from the TV and from the people talking on the screen. Some people find this very annoying.

Yes, I hate that when the broadcaster doesn't sync it up right. That's a good reason to avoid the bluetooth system, thanks.

Phonak's TVLink ==> ComPilot does not seem to have the delay. I did notice the delay, though, when using the TVLink with my t-coil bluetooth neckloop (while my ComPilot was in the shop).

Phonak's TVLink ==> ComPilot does not seem to have the delay. I did notice the delay, though, when using the TVLink with my t-coil bluetooth neckloop (while my ComPilot was in the shop).

It seems some of the dedicated TV streamers from the HA company work better and do not have a delay or a noticeable delay. But the straight Bluetooth method does seem to have a noticeable delay.

I'm hopefully getting the Starkey 3 series Behind The Ear aid with the surflink moble. I love that they have it to where you can carry on conversations, listen to ipod, tv directly into the aid.

Surflink Charge and Stream Cable

If anyone wants or needs a special 'Y' cable for charging and streaming the Surflink mobile, you can find them on eBay and Amazon. Search for Surflink Charge and Stream cable.

Wow, thanks for the quick and informative replies.

Since posting, I've talked with the place she got her aid. I could get a bluetooth streamer doohickey for $150, a clip-on mic that would talk directly to her hearing aid for $170, and a TV streamer (would also be nice) for $240.

So, I could either buy the dedicated mic and TV streamer for $420 or the bluetooth streamer and a bluetooth headset and bluetooth transmitter (for the TV) for about $210.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Al

My thinking is that if I got the bluetooth converter, then I could buy a bluetooth headset mic, and bluetooth TV output device.

I'm looking on Amazon right now for an alternative to the Phonak Compilot set I got for my new hearing aids. The set is $487 and it includes the neckloop, microphone, TV-Link base and various cords etc. I am now looking at a Clearsounds brand that plugs into the back of the TV (Bluetooth) $47 and also a Clearsounds BT neckloop $118. Since the Remote Mic from Phonak $120 is BT everything should connect at a lower price. There are other BT neckloops but you have to decide what one to buy.

Most of all the hearing aids need to have BT capability.

I really like the Remote Mic as I as able to take it on vacation and put it by the TV and have the sounds transmit to my hearing aids. Also for you in the car, you can clip it to your clothing and speak directly into it to your wife. She will just need to be wearing a neckloop to stream the sounds.

I'm looking on Amazon right now for an alternative to the Phonak Compilot set I got for my new hearing aids. The set is $487 and it includes the neckloop, microphone, TV-Link base and various cords etc. I am now looking at a Clearsounds brand that plugs into the back of the TV (Bluetooth) $47 and also a Clearsounds BT neckloop $118. Since the Remote Mic from Phonak $120 is BT everything should connect at a lower price. There are other BT neckloops but you have to decide what one to buy.

Most of all the hearing aids need to have BT capability.

I really like the Remote Mic as I as able to take it on vacation and put it by the TV and have the sounds transmit to my hearing aids. Also for you in the car, you can clip it to your clothing and speak directly into it to your wife. She will just need to be wearing a neckloop to stream the sounds.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=blue+tooth+hearing+aid+accessories

I think the bolded part above is what some people "miss". Hearing aids themselves do not have BT (due to the battery drainage that would occur). You need a "streamer" to receive the BT transmission which is then sent to the hearing aids.

If you have Phonak, get a Roger Pen. One setting is the same as the remote mic, another setting can either be connected to the TV, or laid in front it. It streams with no delay. Also, can be used as a directional mic. Got mine from my Audio, only saw them on phonak.com .Got one, love it!:D

If you have Phonak, get a Roger Pen. One setting is the same as the remote mic, another setting can either be connected to the TV, or laid in front it. It streams with no delay. Also, can be used as a directional mic. Got mine from my Audio, only saw them on phonak.com .Got one, love it!:D

I am thinking about one and would like to do a little comparison. I have not gotten a price locally yet but would you be willing to share what your cost was?

Got mine through DARS, DHHAS, Texas rehab, with mic and HA's. Was never given full price break down, just amount I had to pay. Sorry.

Assuming she uses a Phonak Naida HA connected to a Compilot, here is one possible set up for ya...

You wear bluetooth bTE ))))) your cell/smartphone )))call her))) her cell/smartphone ))))) compilot ))))) Naida HA

Keep in mind you have to call her, she can use the compilot's controls to answer/speak into mic. If you want constant communication, the line will have to be active for the duration of the convo. :P

Assuming she uses a Phonak Naida HA connected to a Compilot, here is one possible set up for ya...

You wear bluetooth bTE ))))) your cell/smartphone )))call her))) her cell/smartphone ))))) compilot ))))) Naida HA

Keep in mind you have to call her, she can use the compilot's controls to answer/speak into mic. If you want constant communication, the line will have to be active for the duration of the convo. :P

I am the one with the hearing loss in my bunch and I am already planning on trying a version of this with friends at lunch.

I use Hamilton's CapTel app for cell phone calls and there are still a few areas near me where you can't get the signal needed for simultaneous voice & data. Thus, I have a second cell phone active in order to use web Captel (using one phone like you would use a computer). My plan is to call one of my phones with the other one. I would then have the friend that is talking speak into the other one and I would get captions of what was said. Last Sunday we were seated at a round table rather than 4 on each side of a long table and it seemed like it would be hard to reach everyone. Will see what happens this next Sunday as we go together most Sundays.

Back