Deaf rights: what do when dealing with police

Is the obvious question -why is a "deaf" person dealing with the police?

Perhaps the "deaf" person can communicate forthwith: "deaf" and then write that fact if one can't "speak".

Respond to the police based on what they "write" assuming they don't use ASL.

Don't expect the police to be "mind readers" that you are "deaf".

I have seen the video of Marlee Matlin talking about what to do if you were stopped by the police. She married her husband who happen to be a police officer. Yes, that is what we need to know what to do being confronted with the police officer(s). It is scary thought of what to do if we are having difficult time to understand the police officer(s). Marlee Matlin give us instructions what to do. You can try to follow the rules of why police officers not being able to understand what d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing person(s) said.

Just have to keep our fingers cross that we don't make the officers upset or mad at us. It is a matter of survival.

There was a problem with the Police Department in Albuquerque, New Mexico with shooting and killing a homeless man. I don't know if he was deaf or not, even though he has mental illness while being homeless. That is why the people in Albuquerque were very upset at the Albuquerque Police Department for doing that.

Albuquerque Police Department is not the only one but there are others all over USA, even maybe in Canada, too. :(

Is the obvious question -why is a "deaf" person dealing with the police?

Perhaps the "deaf" person can communicate forthwith: "deaf" and then write that fact if one can't "speak".

Respond to the police based on what they "write" assuming they don't use ASL.

Don't expect the police to be "mind readers" that you are "deaf".

Watch the video. It's captioned, and addresses/answers everything you said, and would have saved you posting.

In the real world- I don't drive a car. I have never been stopped by the police. I use the TTC
aside has nothing to do with the fact I am bilateral DEAF with a Cochlear Implant.

The thoughts expressed by me came from the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. Their classes: Coping and dealing with your hearing loss.

One possible cause is not many Deaf willing to serve jury duty, making Deaf people very invisible to the lawman.

DrPhil, you may not realize that sometimes police gets pissed off and gets aggressive when one not obey verbal orders and not realize that the person is actually unable to hear verbal orders, they would then consider as resisting arrest and would do the procedure which could be brutal or even worse cause Death!

It had happened here, let me share this story that happened about a decade ago. One Deaf man was distorted and confused, many cops swarm over and had their guns pointed at that Deaf guy. Police repeatedly verbally demand him to drop the knife, but that Deaf man couldn't hear and couldn't see whats on other side due to bright light (Can't see cop at all) guess what happened next? Several cops fired at him and killed him, he was only about 75 feet away from closest cop, why they shoot at Deaf? Just simply that he can't hear police order. Can it happen to you? Well if it had happened to other Deaf person, then it CAN happen to you. Scary? Hell you bet it is! It was on local headline news. Thee police got disciplined and training on how to confront Deaf person.

If had Deaf served jury duty without asking for excuse and show up, it creates exposure to the police making them realize that Deafness exists out there. But because there is very little or limited Deaf people finally serve jury duty which in turn making lawman assume that there is no such thing as Deaf.

There is a discussion in "chat" re: serving on jury duty.

aside: as an actual bilateral DEAF person using a Cochlear Implant I can "hear somewhat" but what about a Deaf person who don't/can't use a Cochlear Implant?

It would seem odd to the police that someone-Deaf-doesn't seem to react to any verbal
warning? One can ssurmise that the police are aware that Deaf persons don't hear and adjust their actions accordigly.

Real life is a bit different than computer terminals-for most of us anyways.

aside: to be very specific the word Deaf means- to ME- one DOESN'T HEAR ANYTHING.
based on my very real experience starting December 20, 2006. The day I became DEAF

Drphil, cops often hear BS stories from anyone on regular basis, and NOT even realize Deafness exists and thinks that person he deals with refused to cooperate which is considered as resisting arrest, potential a dangerous fugitive. There is law against resisting arrest and can be charged for. Precisely how do cop know that person he/she is dealing were Deaf? No response? something's fishy and thinks that person is resisting arrest and there is specific procedure for not following police order. That is where the problem is. I have heard enough horror stories, maybe you have not heard enough to realize the real danger of being Deaf when confront with cop.

Say, if police wants to stop you, and you have NO idea whats going on and didn't see that cop and keep walking away, police kept verbally asking you to STOP, but you keep walking and can't hear police command, what do you think police would do? They will assume your likely a fugitive, armed and dangerous and likely going to shoot you! There is no way police knowing your Deaf. But your dead anyway, scary? Yeah, you can bet on it.

About Jury, this is precisely why I encourage Deaf show up because often police will have to show up in the court for testify or other purpose. The more often Deaf show up as jury, police will likely to notice Deaf, and may learn from it and realize Deafness exists, this will reduce chance of conflict between Deaf and police, and police will keep verbally calling but remembering there was Deaf on jury box, reduce chance of police shooting innocent Deaf person. Don't forget police always have to go to court room for anyone they arrested on felony charges, sometimes misdemeanor charges.

There is a discussion in "chat" re: serving on jury duty.

aside: as an actual bilateral DEAF person using a Cochlear Implant I can "hear somewhat" but what about a Deaf person who don't/can't use a Cochlear Implant?

It would seem odd to the police that someone-Deaf-doesn't seem to react to any verbal
warning? One can ssurmise that the police are aware that Deaf persons don't hear and adjust their actions accordigly.

Real life is a bit different than computer terminals-for most of us anyways.

aside: to be very specific the word Deaf means- to ME- one DOESN'T HEAR ANYTHING.
based on my very real experience starting December 20, 2006. The day I became DEAF

You deal with pigs the same way you deal with anyone who is armed And dangerous and Who can murder you and most likely get away with it scot free. And repeat the last part. It very much matters.
Be careful and understand the power in the situation.
Act accordingly. The less interaction you have with armed thugs for the state (pigs) the better

I'm so impressing with MM because she is married to police to show the world that she can do anything. She played at Frointer, CSI, and other movie and tv series like Actress Deaf Deanna Bray played in Sue Thomas of FBI eyes, Heroes and CSI.

I have been stop by polices few minutes in decade ago. I had problem with deaf relationship for abuse and stole my electronic from home. I kicked him out of my apt and called police on him. The police is very friendly to me because I'm deaf. We communicated through paper and pen write back and fourth. I never have problem with polices' treat me.

I heard the news about elder black man beating by polices for not respond his command when he can't heard. The deaf black filled a lawsuit sue on two officers for assaulted on him.

I received a letter for Jury Duty last year ago. I called to Courthouse that I'm deaf and can't speak skill. They dissimed me. I knew the Deaf oral with bilateral CIs can join for jury duty because of her speech is skilling. Not many Deaf people use ASL and can't have jury duty. Because the courthouse refused provider for ASL interpreters for Deaf Jury Duty. I know it's not fair.

Back