FILM PHILOSOPHY: Mothers

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
FILM TITLE: Alien (1979)

Director: Ridley Scott

FILM PHILOSOPHY TOPIC: MOTHERS

What is a Mother? Have we seen them all? Do we know what a mother really is? What does it take to be a mother? To approach the questions with some theories and opinions, I will be exploring the core of Motherhood. Most of the examples to be displayed on the papers will be taken from Ridley Scott’s Alien, which we viewed back on Monday.

The meaning of Mother, is to give birth to, create, and produce. Also to watch over, nourish, and protect. A woman/person has the position of authority and hold the responsibility similar to a mother. The Latin word for mother is matter, which is material and care. Who is the mother? It could be a computer, instead of a matter (flesh and body). Or anything you think of, it could be a mother in some certain ways.

Mothers, they have a lot of roles in our world. In this movie, there are a lot of things that suggest the idea of motherhood being involved with the plot. This is a movie, which, for most people, would not bring the word “mother” to their minds. For many, it is simply a horror movie, but if we watch carefully, we can see the concepts of motherhood underlying in the story. For example, they live in a huge spaceship which could also be called a mother ship. It’s full of vessels, which a human body is also filled with. It has people, functioning as cells because they are operating the ship. Resisting the entry of invaders can be seen as a sign of motherhood; but getting raped instead because the robot let the infected person inside against the mother’s authority. An infected person is like a virus to the mother ship, especially when he somehow gives birth to the alien who popped out of his chest. The alien is seen as a virus spreading fast in a small place, which could be seen as the uterus because it hides in places where the human beings aren’t. people; they are similar to sperms because they are in fear and all racing to the same place and only one will survive, like a real pregnancy. Weaver, playing the main character and seen as the mother survives the danger, thanks to the emergency space pod while everybody else dies. She took the cat and protected it, which is a sign of motherhood. After destroying the mother ship which is like destroying the uterus and leaving only the survivor’s spacecraft still infected with the virus, just like a mother with AIDS would give birth to an infected child. The cure comes which is Weaver, acting as the immune system kicking the infection out of her place.

People who disagree should take another look at the movie. In the 70’s the word, abortion was a huge issue. It is a terrifying issue, but this movie shows that women have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. The robot in the movie went against her authority and let the infected person inside, which is like getting raped. The infection spreads through the mother ship, like an infection inside the uterus. A lot of damages were done, and everybody acted like sperm cells trying to survive by racing to the escape pod. All of this wouldn’t have happened if the robot stood by her authority instead. The movie clearly shows you that women have the rights to abortion. But it is not to be used as a birth control method. Because if the mother let the infected one inside the mother ship. It is her fault and she has to suffer the consequences for letting herself getting infected. Just like a woman would have a sexual intercourse with a man with infections which she is aware of. People should be pro-choice, not anti-abortion because not everybody is capable of being a mother. A lot of women get pregnant against their authority making it a necessary for the abortion.

Aliens, as long they are a threat to us, they are the virus. Men going against Women’s authorities are signs of motherhood rape. Pro-Choice will do, not Anti-Abortion and after watching this movie. Women truly have the rights to their bodies, not the men or anybody else. Equality is a different topic, and I am all for equality. But when it comes to motherhood, it’s an entirely different one. Motherhood is to be cherished, not forced. Unfortunately, a lot of women throughout history have been forced into motherhood; it continues to this day.

Written by Paul Moreau

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the original author's permission.

Copyright 2003 Paul Moreau. All rights reserved.

very nice...keep up the great work Banjo :grouphug: :ily: :applause:

Banjo said:
Thanks y'all for the compliments!

Well-job, Banjo ! :) I am curious to ask you since I don't know you that well. How did you learn so much about the core of "Motherhood" ?

CyberRed said:
Well-job, Banjo ! :) I am curious to ask you since I don't know you that well. How did you learn so much about the core of "Motherhood" ?

That is a very good question, and I do believe many men are incapable of understanding what motherhood is all about. I said, many, not all.

I grew up around women my whole life, I was the only male student in my class from kindergarten to grade 6 in the total communication program at my school.

Basically, I have a better understanding of women than many men does because they tend to socialize with their own gender more often in their childhood.

I also have a very loving mother and a grandmother who live in the same house as I do. I have two sisters, and I do listen to them often, and understand their situations.

Plus, another reason why I may understand the core of motherhood in some ways people cannot is because one of my sisters was a young mother.

There's a lot more to life than just having a mother, you can explore the core of many different elements if you are open-minded to them.

Banjo said:
That is a very good question, and I do believe many men are incapable of understanding what motherhood is all about. I said, many, not all.

I grew up around women my whole life, I was the only male student in my class from kindergarten to grade 6 in the total communication program at my school.

Basically, I have a better understanding of women than many men does because they tend to socialize with their own gender more often in their childhood.

I also have a very loving mother and a grandmother who live in the same house as I do. I have two sisters, and I do listen to them often, and understand their situations.

Plus, another reason why I may understand the core of motherhood in some ways people cannot is because one of my sisters was a young mother.

There's a lot more to life than just having a mother, you can explore the core of many different elements if you are open-minded to them.

Wow. I don't find anyone who would understand like you in this now days. To be frank, I find that you are a very mature person in this forum. It would be nice to get to know you a little bit thou ~ :) I have 3 natural sisters, one natural brother and 7 half brothers. I grew up around boys all my life, because of the sports. My natural brother and I always competited each other over bicycle racin'. :lol: Now, he became a fearless man, because I taught him how to challenge when we were kids. My brother and I are open-minded people. In fact, I am the one who benefits my siblings in many ways. One of my siblings was a young mother, too. Thanks for sharin' yourself a little with me.

CyberRed said:
Wow. I don't find anyone who would understand like you in this now days. To be frank, I find that you are a very mature person in this forum. It would be nice to get to know you a little bit thou ~ :) I have 3 natural sisters, one natural brother and 7 half brothers. I grew up around boys all my life, because of the sports. My natural brother and I always competited each other over bicycle racin'. :lol: Now, he became a fearless man, because I taught him how to challenge when we were kids. My brother and I are open-minded people. In fact, I am the one who benefits my siblings in many ways. One of my siblings was a young mother, too. Thanks for sharin' yourself a little with me.

You're quite welcome.

Back