Driving fine & points between America and Europe

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about your countries. Come to share the list what you have in your country.

Driving: Fines & Points for frequent traffic offences accord German law:

Seat Belt Violations

failure of driver to use seat belts EUR 30.—
failure of driver to use seat belts on one child EUR 40.—with 1 point
failure of driver to use seat belts on two or more children EUR 50.—with 1 point

Illegal Parking between EUR 20 and EUR 75. (check the link) –

Violation of Speeding at Normal Weather Conditions

Up to 10 km/hr over limit to more than 60 km/hr over limit between EUR 30 and EUR 450 with 1 to 4 points & 2 months driving ban for inside and outside of town. (check the list in the link)

speeding at a crosswalk while pedestrian crossing or passing another car stopping at a crosswalk EUR 100 with 4 points

Violations on Highways or Speedways:

Illegal U-turn, Driving Backwards or in Wrong Direction

On entrance or exit EUR 50 with 4 points
On security lane or shoulder EUR 100 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban
On continuous road EUR 150 with 4 points
Entering outside entrances & endangering somebody EUR 50 with 3 points
Disregarding right of way while entering EUR 50 with 3 points
Using shoulder to get along faster EUR 50 with 2 points
Failure to drive on the right EUR 40 with 1 point
Parking on highways or speedways EUR 40 with 2 points

Right of Way Violations

And seriously hindering EUR 25
And endangering, while entering a highway or speedway, disobeying stop sign and endangering others EUR 50 with 3 points
Speeding towards privileged street EUR 10

Violations Concerning Traffic Lights

Failure to stop at green arrow before turning EUR 50 with 3 points
& hindering or endangering pedestrians or cyclists EUR 60 with 3 points
& pedestrians & bicycles on bikeways or sidewalks:
Hindering them EUR 60 with 3 points
Endangering them EUR 75 with 3 points
Obstructing traffic in intersection EUR 40
Disregarding a red light having turned red longer than a second EUR 125 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban
& endangering others EUR 200 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban
turning right on “red” without green arrow EUR 50 with 3 points

Violations Concerning illegal Passing between EUR 40 and 125 EUR with 4 points and 1 month driving ban

Violations of Hit-&-Run

A felony, punishable by fine or 3 years in prison, except for small accidents outside of flowing traffic if no person injured, no serious damage occurred & driver reports within 24 hours to the police.

Negligent homicide, punishable by fine or up to 5 years of prison or pecuniary penalty

Negligent injury, punishable by fine or up to 3 yrs. Of prison or pecuniary penalty

Failure to maintain car in proper working order, punishable by fine or up to 1 yr. Of prison or pecuniary penalty

Not securing the site of an accident or not immediately stopping incase of minor damage to things EUR 30

Violation of Turning, Driving Backwards or Against Traffic Directions between EUR 40 and EUR 300 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban.

Violation of Drunk Driving:

With 0.5% per mill alcohol level (now 0.3% of Jan. 2005) EUR 250 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban
With 1 recorded offence EUR 500 with 4 points & 3 months driving ban
With more than one recorded offence EUR 750 with 4 points & 3 months driving ban
With 1,1% per mill or higher alcohol level EUR * with 7 points & * month driving ban
Intoxicating drugs EUR 250 with 4 points & 1 month driving ban
With one recorded offence EUR 500 with 4 points & 3 month driving ban
With more than one offenced EUR 750 with 4 points & 3 months driving ban

* = fine or 5 yrs. In prison. Loss of drivers license loss for 6 mths to 5 yrs. Permanent loss of license is possible

Violation of Rules Concerning Public Transportation between EUR 40 and EUR 50 with 2 points

Miscellaneous Violations
Driving cars, trucks with worn tires between EUR 50 and EUR 75 with 3 points
Driving a motor vehicle in unsafe condition (e.g. stering, brakes, connection facilities) EUR 50 with 3 points
Mobile phone, e.g. between EUR 30 and EUR 75

Violation of Speeding & Having a Visiblilty Below
50m (Fog, Snow or Rain) Meaning a Speed Limit of 50km/h

up to 30km/hr to more than 60 km/hr between EUR 100 and EUR 400 with 3 points and 1 month driving ban for inside and outside of town.

http://www.bonoestente.com/content/view/591/0/ You can read everything in those links.

Come to share about speed/alholic e.g. in your country.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that a while ago on CNN.COM i saw an article about the "most expensive ticket in the world" or along those lines, about a guy in germany who got ticketed for speeding and he was a very rich person and it was in the ten thousand dollar range.

mabye this was in the past, dunno.

I cant really post much about the laws in USA because they are mostly state laws, not federal laws, so in other words each state has its own laws on ticketing/fines/points.

the most points on your license in almost all 50 states is passing a schoolbus while its stopped with the red lights flashing- 5 points i believe.

DUI could result to immidiant suspension - no matter how much alcohol in your system. A very credible college , Harvard, did a study and determined that on average, a person spends 10,000 dollars on a DUI after court fees, license reinstatment, fines, driving classes, ect ect.

speeding tickets are usually 1-3 points, depending on how fast you go between 5-25mph. Anything over 25mph of the speed limit is considered "reckless driving" and its up to the judge to decide what would be the proper consequences.

cost varies so there's no solid ground to give figures

Cjanik, I mean your own area, not the whole United State of America.

I could have sworn that a while ago on CNN.COM i saw an article about the "most expensive ticket in the world" or along those lines, about a guy in germany who got ticketed for speeding and he was a very rich person and it was in the ten thousand dollar range.

mabye this was in the past, dunno.

really, I never heard about this. ***dunno***. I'll ask my hubby about this when I'm home from work.

:ugh: wow..

if you get ticket plus 1 point..

we dont do that in our state.. if you get ticket.. pay before 30 days, if not pay.. it will adds up to your other unpaid tickets will become a warrant for arrest.. it means jailtime!!

around here.. most HWY are 65 mph.. if over.. cost between 25-100.. depends how fast you went.. if 5 mph over limit.. means 25 dollars..
but by the law- must wear seat belt... if you dont wear one and cop see it.. will charge you 150.00 per passagers..
also if see child not wearing seat belt too-- will charge you 250.00 per child.

eek.. :) well we have to follow the law cuz the state wants us be safe...

:)

wow MsGiglz, thank you for add your interesting post.

your country: Seat Belt Violations for adult and child cost you between $150.00 and $250.00 is toooo much but I'm agree that it's worth to be SAFETY. They should learn to wear belt.

Here is mine... around $ 40.00 to $65.00
Seat Belt Violations in Germany

failure of driver to use seat belts EUR 30.—
failure of driver to use seat belts on one child EUR 40.—with 1 point
failure of driver to use seat belts on two or more children EUR 50.—with 1 point

If you don't wear seatbelt here in WV, it cost $150.00. If the child is not wearing seatbelt or not in the carseat, it will cost $250.00.

I remember I was pulled over by a cop for not wearing seatbelt and the cop gave me a warning ticket. So I put my seatbelt on. I saw on the paper.. Not wearing seatbelt, cost $150.00 and if 2nd time not wearing, you get the point, if 3rd time, watch out, you will either get arrest or do the community service for police officer or working in the morgue.

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
If you don't wear seatbelt here in WV, it cost $150.00. If the child is not wearing seatbelt or not in the carseat, it will cost $250.00.

I remember I was pulled over by a cop for not wearing seatbelt and the cop gave me a warning ticket. So I put my seatbelt on. I saw on the paper.. Not wearing seatbelt, cost $150.00 and if 2nd time not wearing, you get the point, if 3rd time, watch out, you will either get arrest or do the community service for police officer or working in the morgue.

Yes.... the morgue... its for teenagers to young adults in MN.. its great influences to them.. for me, i wouldnt want to -w-o-r-k- in there.. (shudders)..

Dwi Advocate

WOW!! I am in favor of germany law for DWI (.03%). In USA, DWI law is .08%. I would like to change DWI laws in here to be reduced from .08 to .03 ...sheesh...too many DWI drivers in USA are getting away with this ...we are too lenient with the DWI laws. It is like slap on the wrist...but in one country, you will be executed in singapore. In Japan, you will lose your driver license forever. (but look at their crime statistics, it is very low compared to our country) at the other hand, I rather live in America b/c of the freedom of speech and free country...smile

Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws, I got this from driving exam book.

Legal Blood-alcohol is .08 to .10 percent that effective July 1st 2003. If refuse to take a test within two hours of arrest and if show a point of .10 or higher the arresting officer will confiscate your license.

Child restraints: Child safely is a primary offense in Ohio 100.00 for first offense 250.00 for second offense and imprisonment not more than 30 days. Children or infants must be in car seat either under the age of 4 and weight less than 40 pounds above 40 pounds the age of 4 allow to be without a car seat but require a seat belt or booster seat.

False driver license: no person shall use a false driver license or to buy a person is under 21 alcoholic beverage if that happens you will get one year suspension of driving privileges and sentence to 6 months in jail and a fine up to 1,000.00.

Point Law: Any Ohio driver convicted of a traffic violation is a specific number of penalty points will get two years driving suspension after first violation point

Six Point Violation: if homicide by vehicle, Operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drug abuse, failure to stop and disclose identity at the scene of a collision., willing fleeding away from a law enforcement officer, racing, operating a motor vehicle without the consent of the owner, Operating a motor vehicle while your license is under suspension.

If driving under suspenison, You get first degree misdemeanor fine up to 1,000.00 6 months in jail. (2 points)

Speed: 55-60 mph within a 55 mph speed limit. no points
Speed: 61-65 mph within a 55 mph speed limit. no points for first offense, Second offense 2 points Third offense 3 points
Speed: 60-70 mph within a 55 mph speed limit no points for first offense second offense 2 points third offense 4 points
Speed: 76-80 mph within a 55 mph speed limit, 1 offense 2 points second offense 4 points third offense 8 points
Speed: 85 to 90 mph within a 55 mph speed limit, First offense 2 points second offense 5 points third offense 10 points
Speed: over 90 mph within a 55 mph speed limit, First offense 2 points, second offense 6 points third offense two points for each additional 5mph.

If you driving a vehicle without proof of insurance, you get 90 days suspension and 1,000.00 fine for first time offense.

Interesting post, Cheri.

If you driving a vehicle without proof of insurance, you get 90 days suspension and 1,000.00 fine for first time offense.

wow, it´s expensive but it´s good for them to learn their own lesson. I didnt know about German law like this. I will find out from my hubby soon.

I´m surprise that USA law over children belt safety is too expensive than Germany but I think it´s really good meaningful for their safety.

Where I'm from... it varies. I've gotten a lot of tickets, but I've never had my license revoked. I guess it varies by state. :dunno:

Cjanik said:

mabye this was in the past,

Could you be referring to this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm

Whooa 103,600 fine! Sweden bases fines on income of the speeder so it pays to be a cash-poor speeder than be a rich man to speed out in Sweden!

Liebling:-))) said:
Interesting post, Cheri.wow, it´s expensive but it´s good for them to learn their own lesson. I didnt know about German law like this.

That happened to me once, after I gave birth to Markus I was at home for a month and lost my insurance and I had to go back to work and get bills paid and during delivery pizza at my job I had an car accident and did not have insurance, I had to tell the police the truth that I didn't have insurance and explained why, I got a ticket and got 90 days suspension and paid a 1,000.00 fine. :( My dad told me I should have lied to the police, but I didn't want to lie because it would backfire at me later.

Cheri said:
That happened to me once, after I gave birth to Markus I was at home for a month and lost my insurance and I had to go back to work and get bills paid and during delivery pizza at my job I had an car accident and did not have insurance, I had to tell the police the truth that I didn't have insurance and explained why, I got a ticket and got 90 days suspension and paid a 1,000.00 fine. :( My dad told me I should have lied to the police, but I didn't want to lie because it would backfire at me later.

Oh no, its unfair to pay the fine because you are honest to cops. I'm surprise that they has no appreciate for your honestly. I would tell the cops that I will tell them lie next time instead of be honest to them in the future when I got penatly fine letter from them.

Well, your post got me puzzled because I only bring the proof of original registration/vehicle documents when I driving. I asked my hubby about this when he come home from work. It got him wondering why the cops are interesting to know about your insurance papers which it has nothing do with them because insurance belongs to private, not cops.

Here in Germany, the cops are not interesting to check your proof of vehicle insurance but registration/vehicle documents. It's my problem if I dont insure my car due vehicle accident, not cops. It's cops's job to check who is the responsible to cause accidents, registration/vehicle documents etc. It's driver and my job to swap our insurance address with eye withness of cops to apply our insurance company to cover the damage cost.
Its bad luck if I dont have insurance to cover damage cost. It's up to you if you want insure your car or not BUT BUT BUT you MUST pay car tax and M.O.T. that's all.

I pay the fine if I dont bring original registration/vehicle documents (not copied) while I'm driving between EUR 30 and EUR 50 (around $35 to $65).

I have to pay high fine around EUR 100 to EUR 250 ($125 to $300) if I dont have car tax, M.O.T., tyres control.

Liebling:-))) said:
Oh no, its unfair to pay the fine because you are honest to cops. I'm surprise that they has no appreciate for your honestly. I would tell the cops that I will tell them lie next time instead of be honest to them in the future when I got penatly fine letter from them.

Well, your post got me puzzled because I only bring the proof of original registration/vehicle documents when I driving. I asked my hubby about this when he come home from work. It got him wondering why the cops are interesting to know about your insurance papers which it has nothing do with them because insurance belongs to private, not cops.

Here in Germany, the cops are not interesting to check your proof of vehicle insurance but registration/vehicle documents. It's my problem if I dont insure my car due vehicle accident, not cops. It's cops's job to check who is the responsible to cause accidents, registration/vehicle documents etc. It's driver and my job to swap our insurance address with eye withness of cops to apply our insurance company to cover the damage cost.
Its bad luck if I dont have insurance to cover damage cost. It's up to you if you want insure your car or not BUT BUT BUT you MUST pay car tax and M.O.T. that's all.

I pay the fine if I dont bring original registration/vehicle documents (not copied) while I'm driving between EUR 30 and EUR 50 (around $35 to $65).

I have to pay high fine around EUR 100 to EUR 250 ($125 to $300) if I dont have car tax, M.O.T., tyres control.

It doesn't matter if I was honest, the police have to follow the state of Ohio law, which have to show proof of insurance in the time of the accident or if you get pulled over by the police. Because too many people drove without insurance didn't have insurance coverage to cover the damaged of the vehicle or medical attention for another driver who was involved with an accident. I think they changed it during the time my son was born. I think that law for having or don't have insurance is too strict. :(

True, I understand the reason why the law had changed in your area. Yes, I know that every countries have different laws.

Cheri said:
...My dad told me I should have lied to the police, but I didn't want to lie because it would backfire at me later.
It wouldn't do you any good anyway. The police can easily check the database to see if you have insurance. You were right to be honest. :)

If you drive too fast through construction zone, you will get a double fine. I had seen police giving tickets to several cars because the construction workers were complaining about cars going too fast thus risking their lives working on the road. I can imagine the police gave out about 500 tickets on that day.

Back