Rottweiler Mauls California Toddler to Death

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Updated: 01:05 PM EDT
Rottweiler Mauls California Toddler to Death
Animal Rips Child Out of Her Mother's Arms

GLENDALE, Calif. (Aug. 4) - A Rottweiler ripped a 16-month-old girl out of her mother's arms, dragged her for several feet and mauled her to death in an apparent unprovoked attack, police said.

Cassandra Garcia died at a hospital Tuesday evening following the attack by her grandparents' 150-pound male dog, named Enano, police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

The toddler was being held as her mother, Blanca Garcia, bent down and gave the dog a bowl of water. The dog attacked the girl, snatched her and dragged her several feet down a driveway.

''It was extremely severe,'' Lorenz said.

Garcia's mother was able to grab her child back and sought refuge in a vehicle where she made a ''hysterical 911 call,'' Lorenz said. The 28-year-old mother had bites to her arm and upper body but ''suffered no major injuries,'' he added.

When officers arrived, they were able to seize the dog and take it to an animal shelter.

''At this time, as we understand, it was an unprovoked attack,'' Lorenz said.

However, a resident who owned a small Maltese dog said that in April 2004 two Rottweilers - one of whom was Enano- attacked the pet, said Ricky Whitman, vice president of community resources for the Pasadena Humane Society. The Maltese died from its injuries, but the owner did not want the incident documented.

Other residents said Enano was a friendly dog and wasn't a threat to children.

''He was a goofy, gentle giant,'' said Dorothy War, whose 12-year-old son played with the dog. ''We could not find anything to detect he was violent.''

The dog, taken to the Pasadena Humane Society, will likely be euthanized after being checked for rabies, said Ricky Whitman, the organization's vice president of community resources.

08-04-05 13:20 EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

:shock: Oh no, this is the second tragedy I have read this past month where a family pet has mauled a baby to death. What sadness for the family. That had to be so awful for the Mom to witness. Poor baby.

even worse.. that's the grandparent's dog that attacked the toddler.. wondered if the mother will forgive her parents? Sure is sad to lose an innocent toddler. Wondered what triggered the dog to attack suddenly..

Heard about it - it's scary having seen a number of dog attacks on kids and adults the last couple of months across the state of California. More of the Bay Area (San Francisco) and breed of dogs in those attacks were pit bulls. :(
Since the spate of pit bull dog attacks started, the Human Society and Animal Control have been beseiged by phone calls of requests to remove pit bulls and people dropping off their pit bulls, not wanting them anymore.

Well, I can see that fight dogs could be very aggressive easily when anyone goes near their foods...

Let me tell you the example about Miska, my mongrol dog. My mom had my sister when I was 10 years old. It doesn´t bother Miska when my sister began to learn crawl and "hurt" Miska and also grabbed and eat Miska´s foods. My mom has no time to bring Miska up since she had 4 children, she take care of. Miska is such darling & mischief and lovely dog. I can image what if my mom had bullpit or rottweiler ??? :cold: :Ohno:

I scanned this picture from magazine where I bought today. A 15 years old girl told us the story what she had an experience with rottweiler when she was 7 years old. She was attacked by rottweiler and nearly killed her. The owner of rottweiler saved her life and rushed her to hospital by helipoher and operated her for 7 hours. The owner is very very very upset and kept on saying that her rottwiler is such darling and lovely dog... tooooo friendly to anyone... Why suddenly?????? She put her sleep

See this picture of 15 years old girl with Jack Russel dog and a small picture of herself when she was 7 years old...

Other real life story.
A niece Ute of my co-worker was attacked by her OWN 5 years old pet Clara, pitbull. Clara was also darling dog and take care for 5 years until suddenly... She attacked Ute and tore her upper arm at 2 years ago. I never forget when my co-worker told me the story. Her brother & his wife are very upset and never thought Clara could be aggressive sometimes... They put Clara sleep and bought a golden lab. dog last year and happy with it.

Are you still blame the owner for that?

I feel that if the dog doesnt behave right its the owner's fault cuz they didnt train the dogs right and dispince them.

darkangel8603 said:
I feel that if the dog doesnt behave right its the owner's fault cuz they didnt train the dogs right and dispince them.

Please re-read my last post.

Well, fight dogs like pitbull, rottweiler, etc. are very aggressive breed. They could be attack you unexpectly even though you raised them with lots of attention, love and affection.

That´s why I rather to have 'non-aggressive' pure breed dog which it´s good for the children.

You're both right!

Leibling and Dark Angel are both correct. There are those dogs that had their behavior shaped by poor training and discipline. Then, there are dogs that are naturally aggressive.

This issue is very controversial, because, we really don't know why things like this happen. Therefore, it's always best to exercise caution around any dog; even breeds that are said to be non-aggressive. Case in point:

I have two male Tebetian Terriers. They are ages six and eight. Before we got the dogs, we read about them, and learned that this breed were very good around people, and children as well. However, we also learned they could be territorial. We decided to go ahead and get them. When they were puppies, we crate trained them and also tought them basic commands. We also had our dogs neutered by the time they were two years old. We brought them up, and we never had a problem with them.

Well, one day a few years ago, I was giving the dogs their treats. Morgan ate his, and then, decided he wanted Schooner's. He proceeded to try to take it away from him. A dog fight ensued. I witnessed the whole thing stunned. I had never seen either of the dogs become aggressive before, either between themselves or towards other people. I learned something that day. I realized that no matter how well you know a dog, or how sweet you think your dog is, there's always potential for aggression.

Sometimes, it has everything to do with the person training the dog, and sometimes, it's just the dogs natural instincts kicking in. Whatever the case may be, it's always best to have respect for the animal and it's territory.

My two dogs, a german shephard, and a border collie mix breed, they would fight alot when they were younger, cuz the german shephard wanted to prove the other that she is in the power etc.. also they would fight sometime ab out food. It depends, but they both are very sweet dogs u would never know that they were aggressive. It happens, dogs have some aggresive part of their body and. Elsa the german shephard is a gaurd dog naturally, and tend to be more overprotective of the house and stuff and her family. but that is who she is..

For pit bull and rottiewelier they are similar to german shephard cuz they can be aggressive.. But it mostly depends on the owners way of raising them. My uncle has a rotterwelier and he is the MOST FRIENDLIST dog i have ever met. He nevers bark, or try to attack anybody, he soo friendly. I also know a couple of friends who have pit bull and they are soo friendly too, they would never attack. but it is cuz their owners had trained them not to etc..

Now in Brantford, where i Live, There is a part ban for pit bull, they wont allow any more pitbull in brantford, but will allow those who already have a pit bull to stay, but must have leach and muzzle on her if go out for walk, also all houses that have a pitbull or even part pit bull must have a sign warnin g the others.

i've known a person who have golden revier.. it was told that they're soo friendly dog..

but one person i know who have that dog.. they attack any strangers or some people they know...

Back