Tattoos And Piercing Are Known To Cause...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Body art: What to consider before getting stuck

It may look pretty, but tattoos and piercing are known to cause infection and other health issues

Body art — tattoos and body piercing — has become very popular for woman of all ages. Once viewed as a show of rebellion, it has now become a fashion statement that is prominently displayed by celebrities, music stars, models, and sports figures. Over a quarter of all female college students have tattoos and 60 percent have pierced some part of their body — not all in “weird” places; the most popular site for piercing is the ear lobe. But the cost of this permanent beauty can be substantial to your health as well as to your purse. Before you run out the door to the tattoo and piercing parlor, check out the health issues to consider by “Today” medical contributor Dr. Judith Reichman.

What are the medical concerns?

I would like to report on the “hard” statistics about possible complications, but unfortunately the tattoo and piercing industry is not required to report complications. We, the doctors, are only consulted if a serious problem occurs. Here are some of the known complications, most of which are infrequent or rare:

Infections — Any time the skin is punctured, bacteria can enter, multiply and instigate a local reaction. Initially, the area that is pierced can become red, swollen and painful, and even form an abscess that opens and drains pus. There are some areas that are more prone to infection after piercing; these include the tongue, belly button and genital areas. If the infection spreads into the underlying tissue, it may result in tissue death. This rare complication not only requires aggressive intravenous antibiotic therapy but, in order to stop the spread of infection, surgical removal of all the infected tissue is necessary. In the worst, and very rare, case scenario, generalized body infection can occur. If fresh, sterile, disposable needles and/or instruments are not used; blood-born viruses that cause hepatitis or even HIV may be introduced. (The Centers for Disease Control is currently conducting a large study to evaluate tattooing and body piercing as a potential risk of hepatitis infection). Tattooing has even been linked to leprosy.

Skin reaction and scarring — Piercing can result in local allergic reactions causing swelling, redness, and pain. This is more prevalent if the post of the jewelry that is inserted is made of nickel. As the piercing site heals, it may scar, and in dark-skinned individuals (especially African-Americans) the scar may become thick, wide and dark (keloid).

Problems with future medical procedures — This is a distant piercing worry, especially for young, healthy individuals. But having a permanently placed piece of body jewelry that cannot be removed can cause injury during an M.R.I. (so you should always make sure to “reveal” your piercing before you get scanned). During surgery in which electric current is used to stop bleeding, implanted rings and studs can attract the current, causing burns. Oral piercing can also complicate intubation (placement of a breathing tube) during general anesthesia.

Mouth and dental problems — The mouth has more bacteria than any other part of our body, and tongue piercing can quickly lead to infection. The tongue is also very vascular and can bleed excessively after piercing. Dentists and doctors are concerned about ongoing infection that can lead to gum disease and gum recession. There have also been cases where barbell-type tongue rings have accidentally become loose and been swallowed; the open portion of this piece of jewelry is then capable of piercing the stomach or intestines.

Breast problems — Nipple piercing can potentially cause infection (mastitis) and may damage the milk ducts, preventing future breast-feeding.

S.T.D.s and contraception — One would not think there was a connection, but genital jewelry (on the labia or in the case of a man, on the penis) can potentially damage condoms. And, from a conservative and frankly opinionated point of view, body piercing and tattooing may be an outward sign of other risky behaviors, including alcohol and drug abuse and subsequent unsafe sex.

Are there special worries about tattoos?
All the infectious complications I have detailed regarding body piercing can occur with tattooing, especially if the instruments are not sterilized. There is concern that the tubes through which the dye is passed can become contaminated by backflow when used several times.

Some anesthesiologists do not want to give epidural or spine anesthesia to women who have tattoos on the lower back for fear that pigmented tissue can be pushed into the pre-spinal (epidural) or spinal spaces. But if a special needle within a needle is used for this type of anesthesia, and the central part, or stilette, is removed after insertion, the pigment should not spread.

Admittedly, most of these complications are rare. If you decide you want a tattoo or body piercing, you should consider that if you are under 18, your state may require parental permission. Also please remember you may outgrow a cool tattoo as you get older. (Think how this would look on your grandmother!)

Find a reputable establishment that has the following:

Sterilizing equipment, and uses only sterile disposable needles Appears clean
The artist wears disposable surgical gloves and changes them with each customer Ink and pigment containers are discarded after one use
Written instructions on what to expect and how to care for the area
Is a member of the Association of Professional Piercers
Is registered or licensed with your local health department
After piercing, use jewelry made of surgical or stainless steel, titanium, or fourteen karat gold. No nickel. When you go home, follow instructions for keeping the area clean. If it becomes red, swollen or painful or you develop a fever, see a doctor.

Remember, what you are doing is permanent, look at the portfolio of pictures beforehand and make sure that you like it, that you will continue to like it and that you and your body art will live together happily (and in beauty) ever after.

tattoos and piercing are known to cause infection and other health issues

Good information :thumb:

I have also read that you can caught HIV from tattoos and piercing if share the same needle. :shock: That's why I make sure they use the clean needle while getting piercing.

There are another concern

nail salon and removal hair, I wonder if their instruments are not sterilized. When I went to Nail Salon and saw the instruments were in the blue liquid jar. I hope, they are killing germs.

Same with Hair Salon, the combs and brushes are in the jars. I want all the instruments to be completely sterilized before they can use the same clean 100% instrument to the next clients/customers.

I have no problem with my tounge periced.. i had it since umm umm but pretty long time!! and i had no infection.. i alway wash it with mouthwash and it's works

Sabrina said:
nail salon and removal hair, I wonder if their instruments are not sterilized. When I went to Nail Salon and saw the instruments were in the blue liquid jar. I hope, they are killing germs.

Same with Hair Salon, the combs and brushes are in the jars. I want all the instruments to be completely sterilized before they can use the same clean 100% instrument to the next clients/customers.

Yes I agree that's a very good question, I remembered when I took my boys to get their hair cuts and I noticed the hairstylist dropped a comb on the floor and she picked it up and put it on the side, used another comb instead. But I am also wondering about the same thing do they clean the combs and brushes. I wouldn't my boys to have lice. yikes.

I got a tattoo and I am fine :)

But yes it is important to check out locations BEFORE you do such things.

Pedicures are dangerous too. I knew this girl who went in for a pedicure and somehow got infection into her toe. She became paralyzed for months and months before getting out of it. She had to relearn how to walk and everything. It was scary.

When I go for my pedicures, I bring my own things. This salon gives you a free kit so you use that everytime so they dont have to share that with other customers. I feel safe with that.

i got 4 tattoos, one eyebrow periced, and labret periced too.. i dont have plms cuz of i know that place since..

TweetyBird said:
i got 4 tattoos, one eyebrow periced, and labret periced too.. i dont have plms cuz of i know that place since..

Labret? Do you mean Labia? ;)

I didn't even know you had a tattoo Megan, and you have 4? Tweetybirdie wow!...

I have only one tattoo and I'm fine too....;)

What kind of tattoo do you have Megan? and you too Tweetybirdie?..

^Angel^ said:
I didn't even know you had a tattoo Megan, and you have 4? Tweetybirdie wow!...

I have only one tattoo and I'm fine too....;)

What kind of tattoo do you have Megan? and you too Tweetybirdie?..
i got tweetybird with hawaii flower, my name together on my right leg side, chocolate lover with heart melt on my left chest, one heart on left ankle and one right shoulder back is blk pather n red roses too..

Aw that's sounds beautiful Tweetybirdie, I can't wait to see photos of it ;)..

Ever since I got a tattoo and I had pierced my ears numerous of times with an infection or two which is fairly common. As for my tattoo, I don't have any problems with that, so it does not concern me.

I have been inked many times. Never any problems. Must Artists take great pride in their shops. They keep the enviroment clean & the equipment sterile.
I pierced my ear when I was 13. Only used a nickel & a nail. That got really badly infected. So learning that lesson young. The rest of my piercings were done by pros. :thumb:

Yeah, I knew all that in the first post of "Tattoos And Piercing Are Known To Cause..." I had 5 piercings and 2 tattoos. Now, it is down to 2 piercings and 2 tattoos. I did my research on health risks and what a person can do to minimize the risk and dangers of getting tattooed and pierced. Don't just get one done, do the research and find out the parlor's rating in the city. Also, ask for the health dept. certification and see if they have it or not. If they do have it, that makes them "safer".

i'm glad i choose the right tattoo professional place. i saw them open a plastic bag of a new needle.. and i knew its brand new.. and after he's done he put in a hazardous box for needles. so i knew he's serious about cleaning and caring for his costumers. also he gave me a clear directions of cleaning my tattoo area.. glad i clean it to avoid infections... and now i have no problem with it :D thinking of getting another tattoo

^Angel^ said:
Aw that's sounds beautiful Tweetybirdie, I can't wait to see photos of it ;)..
sure i will put pictures.. i can take 3 tattoos but need someone take pic on my back shoulder right..

Back