Russell Yates: Ready to move on

Whoa!!! It would certainly be very tough for me to deal with. I can't image losing my kid!!! I rather have my kid bury me than me bury them. I might well gone insane. 5? thats way too much!

Andrea Yates divorce finalized

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- The husband of Andrea Yates, who drowned the couple's five children in a bathtub, finalized their divorce Thursday in an agreement that gives her $7,000 in cash, a nursing chair and rights to be buried near the children.

Under the decree, Andrea Yates also will receive part of Russell Yates' retirement benefits from his employment at NASA. The Clear Lake house where the family lived has been sold.

Andrea Yates, 40, was sentenced to life in prison for three of the 2001 drowning deaths, but the capital-murder convictions were overturned in January.

An appeals court panel sided with her lawyers, who contended false testimony from a prosecution expert witness influenced the jury to convict in 2002.

Prosecutors have asked the full appeals court to reconsider.

Attorneys for Andrea and Russell Yates appeared briefly in state District Court. Each agreed to the decree.

Andrea Yates' attorney, John O'Sullivan, told The Associated Press that his client wasn't happy about the divorce but "she has come to terms with it and knows Rusty needs to go on with his life. She just wants to get it behind her."

Russell Yates' attorney, David Salinsky, said his client still "cares very much for Andrea" and that he found the divorce "very difficult." She remains at a psychiatric prison, and he still visits her, Salinsky said.

Yates had requested the glider rocker, a style generally used for nursing babies, and the burial rights.

The family has seven plots -- five for the children and one each for Russell and Andrea Yates. Salinsky said it isn't clear if his client will be buried next to his former wife. "Nobody ever knows what the future is going to hold," Salinsky said.

The children were found dead after a wet and bedraggled Andrea Yates called police to her home and showed them the bodies of John, 5; Paul, 3; Luke, 2; and Mary, 6 months. Police later discovered Noah, 7, floating face down in the tub's murky brown water.

According to testimony, Yates was overwhelmed by motherhood, considered herself a bad parent, had attempted suicide and had been hospitalized for depression and psychotic episodes.

At the prison, Yates works in the commissary three days a week and performs general housekeeping duties, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Mike Viesca.

O'Sullivan said she is mentally stable but "forever scarred."

"The important thing is she is stable with her medicine and she is able to cope with things," he said. "She looks better than she has ever looked."

Attachments

• story.yates.ap.jpg
    story.yates.ap.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 9
Good thread there Sabrina :hug:

Nobody in the right mind would ever replace the children they used to have, But life goes on, even if it's hard to move forward. I don't know what I'll do if I was in his spot really.

But the point is I really don't think Russell is responsible enough to have more children because for one reason only he knew his wife was insane, and did nothing to protect the children's welfare. I am not saying he is at blame all alone, but part of the blame because he should have done something to prevent death, if he would have gotten his wife the help and supervisor around the children in her care.

I can image it´s hard to move on to start new life after lose my own children like this. :(

I can image it´s terrible when I´m in Russel´s shoe.... Oh dear.... I look at my children and can´t image to kill them like this.....

Yes, I can image it would be different if mother need more support from her family with children which it burden her too much.

Definetly too much, and I dont think that it is good idea to have more kids! I don't have the guts to have more kids from any other woman except my son's mother!!!

I cannot move on live without my kids.. I would be flip my mind out....
Bear w/my precouisly children.

Cheri said:

Nobody in the right mind would ever replace the children they used to have, But life goes on, even if it's hard to move forward. I don't know what I'll do if I was in his spot really.

But the point is I really don't think Russell is responsible enough to have more children because for one reason only he knew his wife was insane, and did nothing to protect the children's welfare. I am not saying he is at blame all alone, but part of the blame because he should have done something to prevent death, if he would have gotten his wife the help and supervisor around the children in her care.

:werd: I agree with you on this, Cheri! I feel the exactly the same way. I think he's entitled to move on with his life in whatever way he can, but I think he needs to think about the responsibilty he had in the tragedy that occured. Andrea was insane. We all know that, but I feel that he bears some responsibilty in what happened to their kids. I sincerely hope he doesn't rush to have another family. That just doesn't seem right to me after what transpired.

* sigh* I :dunno: It's a tough call to make.

Its been over 3 years now and their divorce has become finalized and Russell Yates is able to move on -- however i gotta mention that the article did say "might have children..." its not a definate thing as of yet cuz hes aware hes now 40 not 20 anymore and is assessing his life and what he can really offer should he re-marry and actually decide to have children of his own with his 2nd wife -- so im not going to really say much of anything unless he did decide to have children with his 2nd wife then thats where i would really wonder if he has improved himself for the role as a father to the children that are born in the future

Cheri said:

EXACTLY!!! which is why i am HESITANT/SKEPTICAL about this.. so we will see...

Well, if I lost my kids... I'd still move on. Sure, I'd mourn for a while. I can't be sad for the rest of my life.

For those who believe in God, He would have wanted the father to move on.

Hey, wanted to clarify myself. I DO believe that move on is the best route... However, ready for more kids, or relationship? I would consider this mistake to immediately find another woman after the final divorce closure. Im sure he still have emotional bonding with his ex wife and kids. It TAKES LONG TIME to heal these wounds.

My aunt has 5 grown kids... and she is a nut. I don't know
if she acted like that all of her life.
But she is strange. I don't see how my blood Uncle can
marry someone like that... Unless the children drove her crazy
or maybe she suffered Post Depression trauma and never was cure.

But anyway... Rosanne Barr said she was in deep depressing... when
she was raising her children. So I think Andrea Yates should have gotten help before she killed her children, that is sad that her ex husband
didn't do anything about it.

:sadwave:

Back