Postwhores & off-topic threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Socrates

Postwhores and off-topic threads, let's debate! Lately, it seems that postwhores have been doing the "It's the quantities, not the quality, of the posts that count!!" for them whereas it should have been the opposite. The cardinal rule of posting, "It is the quality, not the quantity, of the post, that counts!" Too many threads have been going off-topic lately and it's because of how members here want things going their way. Too much elitism and favouritism. This is what led to a defunct forum, namely DL's demise because the administrator could not handle all the bitterness and petty words between members. The admin and moderators was so overwhelmed with PMs and emails. Don't you realize we are poor examples for our younger generation to look at us as peers? Some of us are parents and we spend more time on-line when we should be with our children?! We are practically bickering like school-aged children. Yes, I said we, meaning you and me. I didn't name any names. I just said we meaning I am not ashamed to admit my falliables. Repetitive manner such as "woe is me" and "please stop all this", this kind of behaviour must stop as well!! We all must get along with each other and take this childish behaviour to PM because personally, I am getting sick of this and would like to see AD where it was originally when I registered over a year ago.

These kind of threads are also considered as "Ranting Threads" and it's pointless... IMO.

ah old good days... I used to do that but I lost interest in doin that cuz I eventually knew my count will be lost if I do that.. and I don't come here often which is good anyways ;)

VamPyroX said:
These kind of threads are also considered as "Ranting Threads" and it's pointless... IMO.

I second that !
illogical.gif

What's "postwhores" ? Care to tell me what it means ?

CyberRed said:
What's "postwhores" ? Care to tell me what it means ?

CyberRed, I truly thank you for asking me a good question. At the bottom of my heart, I appreciate this a lot. I used to make a thread before titled "Have you noticed?" until I asked for it to be removed. Why? It was a great thread until members got out of control and it became a "postwhoring" thread and a "page-owning" thread. If you will click on this thread, you will see the postwhoring thread. http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=3358&highlight=postwhoring

VamPyroX said:

I second that too!

good thread Socrates and yes i agree -- ive noticed some postwhoring and threads that go off topic and i admit ive gone off topic on occasions *guilty as charged* :lol:

i think ppl should make their post as to the topic if they happen to go off topic they can always post "going off topic here and im going to stop here for now before i go any further..." type of comment and if they wish they can always start up a new thread based on that off topic comment the member may have posted -- just a thought :D

*huggies* Socrates gurl!

I may be a little diffenernt. I dont mind anyone whoese love to postwhore but it would save their times by posting "pointless or bs" we will decide to read it or not.. some of you who dont like off topics and dont read it. Will it help??

I for one love to read any whoevers posting so bs or pointless posts anyway..

VamPyroX said:

I agree. Although I never post in any of these things, I think its getting out of hand. We all know each person who posts such things is pointing finger at people. I've had enough. As a partially stagnant member (but a memember nonetheless) I'd leave in a heartbeat if threads like this is what it came down to. Waste of space if you ask me.

VamPyroX said:

I disagree. Ranting and postwhoring are two different things IMO. Ranting to me means when someone is posting something as to complain about a situation, or to get something off their chest. A certain member did that yesterday, and it was a very valid rant.

As for postwhoring, it means something different. It is when people go totally off-topic and say things that are totally irrelevant to the original topic. I remember Socrates' "Have you noticed" thread, where after 75 pages, members started posting one or two words, so to see which pages they would be the first on, and who would be the first member to reach page 100. It was not very interesting anymore after that, and a real waste of space.

^Angel^ said:
I second that too!

I'm confused here, first you posted a ranting thread about how you disliked the way things were going. Vampy responded that most threads were known as ranting and they were pointless and you seconded with him! :jaw:

I don't understand what the Point of PostWhoring...We post for free don't we? It's Not like we spending Money out of Our Pockets and Post Along...Most People In here does the PostWhoring.. The Only Thing I Do Not Like is Just Post One Smiling Faces that is like If you Don't have anything to say then Don't post.

If Alex and The Mods. Do not like the Way We Post They have the Right to Remove it, Locked Or Clean it up...

Free for you, Cheri, but not free for Alex, as he pays for the server space and bandwidth. That is why I commend Alex for providing a space for us to share ideas and exchange feedback, without asking us to pay him in any way whatsoever. Kudos to Alex!

Socrates said:
I'm confused here, first you posted a ranting thread about how you disliked the way things were going. Vampy responded that most threads were known as ranting and they were pointless and you seconded with him! :jaw:

A ranting thread? :ugh: ...hmmmm....I didn't think I created a ' ranting ' thread because, that would be supportive on how I feel ( Isn't that what you said in the other ' ranting ' forum? )....but it didn't go that way more of attacking or pointing fingers ....so, if you said it was a ranting thread then maybe you are right! :D

If Vampy said my thread I created was pointless he would say so in my thread or removed it....or maybe because he agree with me of what going on here in AD....It could be anything really!...Never know what others may think... :scatter:

Last edited:
^Angel^ said:
A ranting thread? :ugh: ...hmmmm....I didn't think I created a ' ranting ' thread because, that would be supportive on how I feel ( Isn't that what you said in the other ' ranting ' form? )....but it didn't go that way more of attacking or pointing fingers ....so, if you said it was a ranting thread then maybe you are right! :D

If Vampy said my thread I created was pointless he would say so in my thread or removed it....or maybe because he agree with me of what going on here in AD....It could be anything really!...Never know what others may think... :scatter:

Angel!! You did something wonderful, you created a ranting thread that I think was so good! It was valid and you expressed something you didn't like what you saw. Now that is a ranting thread. People supported you and gave you feedback on how we all could improve next time. That is what ranting thread is about. Ranting thread doesn't have to be about bitching about "this member" or "that member", you did a great ranting thread! Look at what you said.. "It could be anything really!!" You said the perfect quote, Angel! :applause:

Socrates said:
CyberRed, I truly thank you for asking me a good question. At the bottom of my heart, I appreciate this a lot. I used to make a thread before titled "Have you noticed?" until I asked for it to be removed. Why? It was a great thread until members got out of control and it became a "postwhoring" thread and a "page-owning" thread. If you will click on this thread, you will see the postwhoring thread. http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=3358&highlight=postwhoring

I got it. Thanks, Socrates! But, however I still don't understand about smilies that was mentioned in that link. I am not hearin' to show no expressions. I am DEAF and most deafies are usin' their expressions by usin' emoticons to understand their moods when they say somethin'. Care to explain why you think it's a postwhorin' when usin' smilies? :confused:

Off-topic for a brief: I need to go and find somethin' to eat. I just got home from work. Will come back later to respond. :wave:

my thoughts to the only smiley posts -- i personally think its acceptable in the jokes forum since the posts in the jokes forums are jokes and its expected to have some laughing smilies like :rofl: or :lol: or such things similar to that but in other forums like general discussions or other type forums it shouldnt be posted as a "1 smiley post" if u get what im explaining (if i make sense ack)

To me, postwhoring is making pointless posts, posts that's way off topic which deserves to be deleted, and worst of all -- the poster knowing about it, but not giving a flying...you know what. ;)

It's ok to make a one sentence, or even a one word, reply to someone else's post every now and then, but please don't do it constantly. I would like to think of AD as being an informative and educational website, a place where people from all walks of life come to interact with one another and benefit from us; our experiences, our stories in life, our culture, etc.

Space and bandwidth isn't a major concern to me as long as AllDeaf isn't constantly filled with junk threads/posts. Keep in mind that we get new members joining us almost everyday and we don't want them to think "AllGarbage" or "AllPostwhores", do we? ;) Here's a peek of how much space and bandwidth AllDeaf has used up so far for this month alone.
bw_usage_052004.gif

In addition, in order to keep AllDeaf free, we need sponsors. In the past, AllDeaf relied on donations from our members which helped. But all that has changed since sponsors came along, and they helped with the server/software fees even better. What attract these sponsors are the quality of threads/posts made by our members (you), they see AllDeaf as being "informative", "educational", "friendly" (you get the idea) and I would like them to continue thinking that way.

I don't want to offend anyone about my opinion on postwhoring and off-topic threads, but I hope y'all realize that I'm just doing what I think is best for all of us. All I ask is for your continued support and cooperation, and I'll always believe AllDeaf is well worth every cent I pay for to keep it running. Now, are you curious how much I paid for the server AllDeaf is running on since July, 2003?
payments_052004.gif

You do the math. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back