Hearing wanting to go to Gallaudet

corypio

Reaction score
i am hearing and am currently studying at a community college to become a ASL interpreter and i was wanting to take my schooling from here and transfer to Gallaudet if you guys could give me some advise on this it would be most grateful

same here corypio. A lot of people told me it would be hard to get into Gallaudet if you were hearing. I won't give up, I will find out for myself.

LMAO!!! My advice is... DON'T live on campus if you can help it and don't expect to make too many friends.

If they are fluent in ASL then they shouldn't have any problem living on campus or making friends. Don't give up on your dreams. If you can make it DO IT!

RabidLam, you never know. They may have a different experiance. And they have the Hearing Undergraduate Program.....and I mean they DID have a booth at the Clarke Mainstream Conference (VERY ORAL)
I just thought of something. What if someone who is audilogically hearing, but who uses ASL as their first language (ie they had apraxia or another disabilty) to communicate wanted to attend Gally? Would they let them?

My friend is deaf and met her hearing husband at Gallaudet. He didn't start signing till high school or college but fell in love with the language and decided to move across the country and go to school there. He loved school and met his wife there. If I had the money I would go.

Well... Let me tell you something, dorm with bunches of deaf people in it are gonna be REALLY loud!!! And if you try to ask them to be quiet, they will make sure your night is a miserable one. Ask just about ANY hearing person who have been there and they will tell you it is loud!

As for friends... Well I already put in my two pennies and my opinion. I am totally deaf but I doesn't really fit in at all for numerous reasons. But... some other might have better luck than me.

Well... Let me tell you something, dorm with bunches of deaf people in it are gonna be REALLY loud!!! And if you try to ask them to be quiet, they will make sure your night is a miserable one. Ask just about ANY hearing person who have been there and they will tell you it is loud!

As for friends... Well I already put in my two pennies and my opinion. I am totally deaf but I doesn't really fit in at all for numerous reasons. But... some other might have better luck than me.

Here's a news flash...hearing dorms are loud, too.:lol:

LMAO!!! My advice is... DON'T live on campus if you can help it and don't expect to make too many friends.

well cory wants to know so much about the deaf culture then cory can try to live on campus for a year to see if cory can handle them or not. It is the whole point for cory to learn ASL faster.

I lived in the dorm on campus and went to cafernia and met hearing students. They all are AWESOME! There are few hearing people who thought they can handle deaf people but some of them quitted. Thats OK. The hearing students told me that they learned so much and fell in love with gallaudet so much! Sure they had many challenges of facing the complicated situations and doing very well. :)

I have two hearing friends at Gally right now. They LOVE it. Go for it, but be very aware of deaf culture and being sensitive to audism. :)

Yes, you can go to Gallaudet as part of the HUD program. Good luck!

Yes, you can go to Gallaudet as part of the HUD program. Good luck!

Me too. I met hearing woman before when I went to Gallaudet. :) She is good interpreter. I chat her a lot. She is nice. But now, she graduated it.

Oh no, Gallaudet are flooded with hearing students.

We're (Hearies) climbing in your windows. And snatching your college up.....

Using the silly "Bed Intruder" viral music video song. I am including the Annoying Orange's spoof of it cause it's the only one that is CC'd.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pezdRcVe04c&feature=related]YouTube - Kitchen Intruder (Bed Intruder Spoof) with AutoTune remix![/ame]

same here corypio. A lot of people told me it would be hard to get into Gallaudet if you were hearing. I won't give up, I will find out for myself.

Nope it is not true.

From my experience as Gally student, the hearing students had no problems to enroll there.

Back