2005 Dodge Durango engine

purplecatty

Reaction score
I have an issue with Dodge Durango's 4.7 Liter V8 engine. It is "rocking" rhythm gently for long time while idling but accelerate smooth. When transmission was placed to Park or Neutral, Engine runs smooth.. Sometime I just lightly press accelerator just to move truck 1 or 2 mph during traffic and it makes my head bobs a little ( :lol: ). It's getting in my nerves right now.. It seem one cylinder is misfiring or something. It already had new sparkplugs but problem remains the same. Coil On Plug (COP) are plugged in correctly and there is no corrosion on wires or cracks on its shell. One of COP had reddish powder on its tip. I cleaned it and put it back in after installed new sparkplug. I did not put COP in order while replacing sparkplugs, I just plug it back in whichever is first pick because it works the same regardless. I wanted it to run smoothly. Sometime engine ran smoothly and other time it rocks (moody engine) depending on weather condition. There is no antifreeze (white smoke) or oil burning (black smoke) ect. I smelled exhaust and it's all normal.

:shrug:

Currently, I have engine light lit on since last summer (I replaced oxygen sensors). It turns off but later when weather became cold, it went back on and never bother to shut em up yet, just being lazy not trying to fix it. Does defective engine sensors causing engine to rock?

Question is that are V8 engine's gentle rocking motion normal or should it be smooth regardless?

Catty

The new engines today are more hi-tech than it was in the old days.

Your best bet is to e-mail Dodge headquarters.

Contact Dodge

If you are not mechanically inclined then you can ask at AutoZone.

Please be aware that Autozone may not have all the answers. Ask the Dodge H.Q. first.

1995 - 2003 Dodge cars/suvs/trucks isnt that great with cold weathers.

after 2003 dodge cars/suvs/trucks is much better than past.

i used to drive 2002 Dodge Neon SXT for temporary, its always have engine light on and off all the time, i repaired myself, drop off at auto mechanic, fixed, and still problems going on and on. So, i decided to sell, and sold it in less 3 days for just only 3,000 bucks...

i added: spoiler, new wheels and new tires, new spark plugs, and tint windows. Sold it out pretty quickly...it only have 87k..

I have an issue with Dodge Durango's 4.7 Liter V8 engine. It is "rocking" rhythm gently for long time while idling but accelerate smooth. When transmission was placed to Park or Neutral, Engine runs smooth.. Sometime I just lightly press accelerator just to move truck 1 or 2 mph during traffic and it makes my head bobs a little ( :lol: ). It's getting in my nerves right now.. It seem one cylinder is misfiring or something. It already had new sparkplugs but problem remains the same. Coil On Plug (COP) are plugged in correctly and there is no corrosion on wires or cracks on its shell. One of COP had reddish powder on its tip. I cleaned it and put it back in after installed new sparkplug. I did not put COP in order while replacing sparkplugs, I just plug it back in whichever is first pick because it works the same regardless. I wanted it to run smoothly. Sometime engine ran smoothly and other time it rocks (moody engine) depending on weather condition. There is no antifreeze (white smoke) or oil burning (black smoke) ect. I smelled exhaust and it's all normal.

Currently, I have engine light lit on since last summer (I replaced oxygen sensors). It turns off but later when weather became cold, it went back on and never bother to shut em up yet, just being lazy not trying to fix it. Does defective engine sensors causing engine to rock?

Question is that are V8 engine's gentle rocking motion normal or should it be smooth regardless?

Catty

Any trouble Codes from DTC? Sound like misfired to me. My best guess is catalytic converter is plugged or COP got failed at low voltage, but I like to see and test with scan tool and gauge. If no DTC then should be idler pulley or loose belt. How many mileage on it?

Are you sure it's the motor? If the vehicle rocks at low speeds and smooths out at higher speeds it could be a busted belt on one of your tires. If it is the motor maybe a loose motor mount.

Catty
You mean Rocking engine sounds like hunting? There is possible spark arcing on boots or plugs. Did you see lightly or thick black carbon tracks on the stem of the spark plug(s) and both inside/outside the spark plug boots. The carbon tracks can be light whitely color. Sign of track carbons found, replace all spark plug boots. No worry about mix up cops. Only misfire condition can cause the engine rock (rough running). Before you recheck the ignition system, check oil level in crankcase, make sure the engine use proper oil grade.

You mean Rocking engine sounds like hunting? There is possible spark arcing on boots or plugs. Did you see lightly or thick black carbon tracks on the stem of the spark plug(s) and both inside/outside the spark plug boots. The carbon tracks can be light whitely color. Sign of track carbons found, replace all spark plug boots. No worry about mix up cops. Only misfire condition can cause the engine rock (rough running). Before you recheck the ignition system, check oil level in crankcase, make sure the engine use proper oil grade.

Ummhh!! You quoted "The carbon tracks can be light whitely color. Sign of track carbons found, replace all spark plug boots.". I did saw white carbon tracks on boot (powdery white carbon track??). No wonder... I'll have to ask auto parts to provide me replacement boots. Also one of boot have powdery red dust on one of COP.

The oil level in crankcase are fine, Oil grade are correct.

As for Engine rocking like hunting. No, it's just a gentle rock. While waiting on traffic (doesn't matter if its a traffic jams or traffic signal while on gear) engine just rocks gently (just like cat licking on top of sofa near where you sit. ).

I will have to take my truck to auto part to have the OBDII checked for free to see what it need to be replaced at the same time I can buy boots for COP.

Catty

Any trouble Codes from DTC? Sound like misfired to me. My best guess is catalytic converter is plugged or COP got failed at low voltage, but I like to see and test with scan tool and gauge. If no DTC then should be idler pulley or loose belt. How many mileage on it?

Ok I'll look into it. COP failed on low voltage, possibilty.. I will check with ohmmeter.

thanks

Catty

The new engines today are more hi-tech than it was in the old days.

Your best bet is to e-mail Dodge headquarters.

Contact Dodge

If you are not mechanically inclined then you can ask at AutoZone.
Please be aware that Autozone may not have all the answers. Ask the Dodge H.Q. first.

Yup, engine are high tech. I wouldn't bother calling Dodge. I would just take it to auto parts to use their OBDII reader.

Catty

Are you sure it's the motor? If the vehicle rocks at low speeds and smooths out at higher speeds it could be a busted belt on one of your tires. If it is the motor maybe a loose motor mount.
yes. it is true that some motor mounts have fluid filled or electronic control or
vacuum operation. I know Honda motor mount use vacuum actuator to smooth out the vibration. The fluid filled mounts are found on the euro cars. I dont know if the domestic vehicles use these methods of the motor mounts, maybe Cadillac?

Busted tires. Nah!! :rofl:
I am talking about a broken steel belt. You may not eaisly see it but the symptoms are what you describe. Car shaking or wobbling at low speeds but smoothing out at faster speeds. You have to look closely all around each tire to discover it. Also a loose motor mount could cause these symptoms as well. I am just trying to offer some constructive opinion.. I am not saying I am right.

Check the tires (all of them) by running your hand around the outside wall and the inside wall. If you feel a bump or a series of pricks, (that's what the band aid is for)chances are you have a broken belt. The tire is now no good and should be replaced.

, broken belts throw off the balance of the wheel. Look for buldges or indentations in the tire. If the vibration is felt in the steering wheel, it is probably a front tire. If the vibration is felt in the seat, it is probably in a rear tire.

Most manufacturers will pro-rate a replacement tire for the manufactured defect. Cut tires, curbed tires, under-over inflation wear could also effect the warranty.

Vibrations could also be caused by other mechanical defects: lost wheel weight, bad wheel bearing, bad ball jounts, bad shocks, sticking brakes, etc. Rotate the front tires to the rear, if the vibration changes in the steering wheel, then chances are the problem is in the wheel/tire.

You bet on ignition system for misfire. Plugged cat converter? Most on the OBD-I vehicles than the OBD-II vehicles. If low voltage feed to the COP then cause rough idle or running and set MIL for misfire codes. Idler pulley or loose belt? They can cause knock sensor(s) to set code(s). I think you talk about the loose crank pulley that can cause misfire.
I like to ask you some silly question about catty's car for misfire codes. If P0304, cylinder #4 misfire detected ( for example ), what do you do with a P0304 dignositic? Tell me. If you dont know then I love to tell you about my dignositic tricks.

Ok I'll look into it. COP failed on low voltage, possibilty.. I will check with ohmmeter.

thanks

Catty
Hey Dont touch anything on the engine till the MIL pop up or get codes from the part store or from you scanner tool. I tell you that I didnt use DVOM to check resistance in cops cuz the OBD-II PCM will set codes or misfire counters in live data. On older OBD-II vehicles like 1996-97 or 98 vehicles, you need DVOM to check cop or coil for resistance. Best way to measure current (amperage) on a cop is scopemeter with low amp pick up clamp to view real live waveforms. You can carry with scopemeter to drive a vehicle, just press a button to record the waveforms as long as you detect the misfire problem then bring the vehicle back to the shop, review a scopemeter's flight record. I havent try it before cuz I did some trick work on the cops.

You bet on ignition system for misfire. Plugged cat converter? Most on the OBD-I vehicles than the OBD-II vehicles. If low voltage feed to the COP then cause rough idle or running and set MIL for misfire codes. Idler pulley or loose belt? They can cause knock sensor(s) to set code(s). I think you talk about the loose crank pulley that can cause misfire.
I like to ask you some silly question about catty's car for misfire codes. If P0304, cylinder #4 misfire detected ( for example ), what do you do with a P0304 dignositic? Tell me. If you dont know then I love to tell you about my dignositic tricks.

I remembered one of my friend own the Jeep grand cherokee (1994??) and complained about engine got noise so hard and drain the battery so quick *they replaced the new battery and checked alternator ok.* No MIL at all. How to be loose crank pulley? So We found that idle pulley's nut was loose then just tight it and everything work good. You right, I don't remember that cause misfire but just noise. I still learn more and never give up.

I thought OBD-II is 1998 or more. I don't see many 97 or older vehicle at here.

P0304- More easy for me to see myself and test with my tools (scantool real-time data,scope waveform, balance fuel injector, resistance check fuel injector, fuel volume test, fuel pump waveform, fuel ignition waveform, secondary ignition waveform) My guess is fuel injector plugged, fuel injector failed, COP failed, spark plug failed, CO2 failed. If I don't know about diagnostic lab test then I will failed the class for SURE!

Hey Dont touch anything on the engine till the MIL pop up or get codes from the part store or from you scanner tool. I tell you that I didnt use DVOM to check resistance in cops cuz the OBD-II PCM will set codes or misfire counters in live data. On older OBD-II vehicles like 1996-97 or 98 vehicles, you need DVOM to check cop or coil for resistance. Best way to measure current (amperage) on a cop is scopemeter with low amp pick up clamp to view real live waveforms. You can carry with scopemeter to drive a vehicle, just press a button to record the waveforms as long as you detect the misfire problem then bring the vehicle back to the shop, review a scopemeter's flight record. I havent try it before cuz I did some trick work on the cops.

Some new COP like Honda 2008 can't check with DMM for resistance. You can use COP secondary test probe for waveform, it easy job and quick than DMM. We never drive a vehicle on the street for test. It's waste of time for misfire diagnostic. You just can press the gas to 3k rpm for 10 seconds and WOT for 1-2 seconds on P for auto or N for manual then we can find the problem from the scope.

Last edited:
I remembered one of my friend own the Jeep grand cherokee (1994??) and complained about engine got noise so hard and drain the battery so quick *they replaced the new battery and checked alternator ok.* No MIL at all. How to be loose crank pulley? So We found that idle pulley's nut was loose then just tight it and everything work good. You right, I don't remember that cause misfire but just noise. I still learn more and never give up.

I've heard about loose harmon balancer (trigger wheel) on a Ford 1.9L or 2.3L and 3.0L that caused strange misfires.

I thought OBD-II is 1998 or more. I don't see many 97 or older vehicle at here.

P0304- More easy for me to see myself and test with my tools (scantool real-time data,scope waveform, balance fuel injector, resistance check fuel injector, fuel volume test, fuel pump waveform, fuel ignition waveform, secondary ignition waveform) My guess is fuel injector plugged, fuel injector failed, COP failed, spark plug failed, CO2 failed. If I don't know about diagnostic lab test then I will failed the class for SURE!

COPS are simple and easy to replace. But sometime they are hard to diagnose or replace on some vehicles.

Suppose if you come over Catty's place to diagnose his car. You pulled a code P0304, cylinder#4 misfire detected from your pocket scan tool.
What to do? Check all fluid levels and visual inspection on the engine to see if anything broken or missing, before you investigate the misfire condition. Start the engine and run. Grab a long driverscrew and probe #4 injector as you feel pulses from injector, move a driverscrew to another injector to see if there is same pulse. Next....(Turn engine off)
Remove #4 COP ( make sure you examine it for carbon tracks or cracks) from the cyl #4 and swap #4 COP to cylinder #1 (as you random any COP if you like to swap)
Remove #4 spark plug from cyl #4, swap to cyl #3 ( don't swap to cyl#1)
#3 spark plug swap to cyl #4
Install #1 COP in cyl#4. Write down record of swapping COPS and plugs
Clear code. Take a car for drive around and observe the MIL. MIL pop up again. You are exciting to pull the code(s).....

P0301, cylinder#1 misfire detected that indicates bad #4 COP cuz you swapped. Sound easy diagnose.

P0303, cylinder #3 misfire detected that indicates bad #4 spark plug cuz you swapped #4 plug to cyl#3. Understand clear?

P0304 cylinder #4 misfire detected, same code after swapped COPs and plugs. You would suspect low compression or bad #4 injector?
You can try to swap an injector to another position to see if code changes
The Number One cylinder is on left bank side along with 3,5,and 7. On right
bank side is 2,4,6, and 8.
Beware of the disabled injector cuz some modern OBD-II PCM will disable injector(s) when detects misfire cylinders.
Highlander, what do you think? Even Catty dont have a fancy scopemeter, he can do the method of diagnositic. deafsmogtech

COPS are simple and easy to replace. But sometime they are hard to diagnose or replace on some vehicles.

Suppose if you come over Catty's place to diagnose his car. You pulled a code P0304, cylinder#4 misfire detected from your pocket scan tool.
What to do? Check all fluid levels and visual inspection on the engine to see if anything broken or missing, before you investigate the misfire condition. Start the engine and run. Grab a long driverscrew and probe #4 injector as you feel pulses from injector, move a driverscrew to another injector to see if there is same pulse. Next....(Turn engine off)
Remove #4 COP ( make sure you examine it for carbon tracks or cracks) from the cyl #4 and swap #4 COP to cylinder #1 (as you random any COP if you like to swap)
Remove #4 spark plug from cyl #4, swap to cyl #3 ( don't swap to cyl#1)
#3 spark plug swap to cyl #4
Install #1 COP in cyl#4. Write down record of swapping COPS and plugs
Clear code. Take a car for drive around and observe the MIL. MIL pop up again. You are exciting to pull the code(s).....

P0301, cylinder#1 misfire detected that indicates bad #4 COP cuz you swapped. Sound easy diagnose.

P0303, cylinder #3 misfire detected that indicates bad #4 spark plug cuz you swapped #4 plug to cyl#3. Understand clear?

P0304 cylinder #4 misfire detected, same code after swapped COPs and plugs. You would suspect low compression or bad #4 injector?
You can try to swap an injector to another position to see if code changes
The Number One cylinder is on left bank side along with 3,5,and 7. On right
bank side is 2,4,6, and 8.
Beware of the disabled injector cuz some modern OBD-II PCM will disable injector(s) when detects misfire cylinders.
Highlander, what do you think? Even Catty dont have a fancy scopemeter, he can do the method of diagnositic. deafsmogtech

I am agreed with you about trick. Thank you for tell me about the screwdriver and the pulse (I noticed that I feels the pulse when I holds the balance fuel injector), I just learned it. I hope Catty can find the problem.

Yeah, That's what my teacher said if we don't have any tool for COP then just swapped the COPS like you said. It takes a lot of time and lot of work for some vehicles. I like to use secondary ignition test probe and perfect for tight engine and quick job.

Check it out.

Coil-On-Plug Secondary Test Probe

Back