Spelling words the way they sound (Oral habits)

No, you do not have to be from an oral environment to spell a word incorrectly, nor is it virtually impossible to spell a word incorrectly simply because you are deaf. The type of spelling errors made are simply different.
Someone from an oral environment is more likely to make errors based on phonetic similarities, and someone from a visual environment is more likely to make errors based on shape similarities.

Fascinating! I have profound hearing loss, and I find myself to this day pronouncing words as I read them. Well, up to a point, lol.

Last edited:
I have not always had a profound loss, iv had a severe loss from 9 months -8 years and now sort of in the severe-profound category but mostly profound and i do pronouce words as I do think they are pronouced. My mum and my sister usually help me and correct my pronounciation of words which i do thank them for.

Fascinating! I have profound hearing loss, and I find myself to this day pronouncing words as I read them. Well, up to a point, lol.

Well, actually pronouncing the words as you read them has more to do with the methodology used to teach you to read. Even hearing people process the word in print from top down....meaning that the individual letters are not seen when reading, the word as a shape is seen. If there is a descrepancy, then the next step in the processing is to see the first letter and the last letter to solve the discrepancy. The only time we actually break a word into syllables or individual letters or morphemes when we read is when it is an unfamiliar word being seen for the first time. From then on out, it is processed as a shape.

I have not always had a profound loss, iv had a severe loss from 9 months -8 years and now sort of in the severe-profound category but mostly profound and i do pronouce words as I do think they are pronouced. My mum and my sister usually help me and correct my pronounciation of words which i do thank them for.

That is great! I notice that you are nineteen years old, so my hat is off to you. I would like to know, though, if you allow others to correct you? I think you know what I mean. For myself, there is a price to pay for the willingness to let the world correct you in your pronunciation of words. It is a pisser, lol.

What about if we work with the word definitely, for example.. following this since it is the major example right now.

There are 25 ways to spell that i incorrectly, so when referring to shape similarities, I assume it has to look similar to the way it is written or seen..

definately, definbtely, definctely, defindtely, definetely, definftely, defingtely, definhtely, definitely, definjtely, definhtely, definktely, definltely, definmtely, definntely, definotely, definptely, definqtely, definrtely, definstely, definttely, definutely, definvtely, definwtely, definxtely, definytely, definztely

if we take five vowel words out, we have:
definately, definetely, definitely, definotely, definutely

the ones that are "looking" like they work are (aside from definitely):
definately, definetely, definltely, definntely.

On the QWERTY keyboard, the A is nearly all the way on the "left" side of the board, so you have to be pressing a key from the following sets of letters - assuming average typers use two hands the standard position, in a 101-US keyboard layout.

Q W E R T
A S D F G
Z X C V B

if we use those words for shape comparing, we get:
definqtely, definwtely, definetely, definrtely, definttely
definately, definstely, defindtely, definftely, defingtely
definztely, definxtely, definctely, definvtely, definbtely

in all of those, the only way I can see it from the way I'm understanding, are the underlined ones that look like they are the most common. The rest look like they are really obvious typing mistakes that no one would make unless they hit the wrong key on accident, both of oral and deaf.

Observing from that, one would have to be reaching from the left side of the board to be choosing that as a shape-spelling mistake, this is all I'm wondering for this word in particular.

It doesn't make too much sense for hitting left hand for those sets of letters unless you were spelling "orally", if you get what I mean.

Also, the word definitely stems from definite, if that is of any importance?

I'm not trying to disprove or ramble upon anything here, I'm just trying to understand how exactly would people be able to spell the word definitely incorrectly while typing (not actually spelling as writing on a paper).

Well, actually pronouncing the words as you read them has more to do with the methodology used to teach you to read. Even hearing people process the word in print from top down....meaning that the individual letters are not seen when reading, the word as a shape is seen. If there is a descrepancy, then the next step in the processing is to see the first letter and the last letter to solve the discrepancy. The only time we actually break a word into syllables or individual letters or morphemes when we read is when it is an unfamiliar word being seen for the first time. From then on out, it is processed as a shape.

I'll take your word for that, jillio, since I have no idea why I communicate the way I do, lol.

If you want more in depth information regarding the congnitive processing of print, spelling and errors, and the differences in visual memory as applied to the deaf, then I would suggest Psychology of Deafness, , by Marc Marsharck, et.al. This is a compilation of many years of research and contains the complete reports of several years of cognitive research on this topic.

What about if we work with the word definitely, for example.. following this since it is the major example right now.

There are 25 ways to spell that i incorrectly, so when referring to shape similarities, I assume it has to look similar to the way it is written or seen..

definately, definbtely, definctely, defindtely, definetely, definftely, defingtely, definhtely, definitely, definjtely, definhtely, definktely, definltely, definmtely, definntely, definotely, definptely, definqtely, definrtely, definstely, definttely, definutely, definvtely, definwtely, definxtely, definytely, definztely

if we take five vowel words out, we have:
definately, definetely, definitely, definotely, definutely

the ones that are "looking" like they work are (aside from definitely):
definately, definetely, definltely, definntely.

On the QWERTY keyboard, the A is nearly all the way on the "left" side of the board, so you have to be pressing a key from the following sets of letters - assuming average typers use two hands the standard position, in a 101-US keyboard layout.

Q W E R T
A S D F G
Z X C V B

if we use those words for shape comparing, we get:
definqtely, definwtely, definetely, definrtely, definttely
definately, definstely, defindtely, definftely, defingtely
definztely, definxtely, definctely, definvtely, definbtely

in all of those, the only way I can see it from the way I'm understanding, are the underlined ones that look like they are the most common. The rest look like they are really obvious typing mistakes that no one would make unless they hit the wrong key on accident, both of oral and deaf.

Observing from that, one would have to be reaching from the left side of the board to be choosing that as a shape-spelling mistake, this is all I'm wondering for this word in particular.

It doesn't make too much sense for hitting left hand for those sets of letters unless you were spelling "orally", if you get what I mean.

Also, the word definitely stems from definite, if that is of any importance?

I'm not trying to disprove or ramble upon anything here, I'm just trying to understand how exactly would people be able to spell the word definitely incorrectly while typing (not actually spelling as writing on a paper).

Only if you are studying etymology. And a spelling error is a spelling error whether you have written the word with a pen, or whether you have typed the word. A typo is not a spelling error, and a spelling error is not a typo. The mode of putting the word into print has no bearing on the spelling error, or the type of spelling error.

If you want more in depth information regarding the congnitive processing of print, spelling and errors, and the differences in visual memory as applied to the deaf, then I would suggest Psychology of Deafness, , by Marc Marsharck, et.al. This is a compilation of many years of research and contains the complete reports of several years of cognitive research on this topic.

Eh, where's the fun in that? All that is left is to ruefully admit that I am already figured out, and that is frightening. ;)

For what this is worth, I'm a phonetically speller and have been since I was tought to read. I tend to spell things the way they sound to me. I have noticed that my neice and nephew (both hearing) learned to read by sight.

I also pride myself in being a good speller, but I do have a word that drives me batty. The word "seperate". It's spelled wrong, I know. I think I know how to spell it, but haven't taken the time verify the spelling. I admit to being lazy. :roll:

Interesting, though, Naisho. For me, phonics was the way to go, but for others, sight reading is better. That goes for hearing as well as deaf, maybe?

For what this is worth, I'm a phonetically speller and have been since I was tought to read. I tend to spell things the way they sound to me. I have noticed that my neice and nephew (both hearing) learned to read by sight.

I also pride myself in being a good speller, but I do have a word that drives me batty. The word "seperate". It's spelled wrong, I know. I think I know how to spell it, but haven't taken the time verify the spelling. I admit to being lazy. :roll:

Interesting, though, Naisho. For me, phonics was the way to go, but for others, sight reading is better. That goes for hearing as well as deaf, maybe?

Oh yeah. Some hearing do poorly with phonics and likewise a few deaf are audtiory learners. I think Shel is one of those few deaf if some of her posts are any example.

Oh yeah. Some hearing do poorly with phonics and likewise a few deaf are audtiory learners. I think Shel is one of those few deaf if some of her posts are any example.

I was always a good visual learner, but with only certain things. When it came to learning to read, I was tought phonectically and I find it hard to switch back and forth.

I am one of those hearing that were taught to read using sight reading techniques.

One thing I know I'm a Grammar Nazi sometimes & will correct hubby's finger spelling. (That and his ASL!) :o

This is what I found based on researching and analyzing alldeaf, only:

I found 500 hits of a single word being misspelled. In these 500 hits, I found 45 unique usernames who spelled the word in pronounced form.

The dates of this search ranges from today until early 2008.

In these unique hits, of the 45 users I know for a fact that:

15 of them are confirmed hearing (5 are interps/to be's)
08 are late deafened (confirmed from their testimonials/comments)

13 are Deaf/deaf/hearing impaired (but I don't know their status of late-deaf or oral environment etc, childhood)

09 are of unkown status, and could could be deaf/hearing/late deafened

These are all based on a single instance, not multiple hits.

Then on another common variation in mistake of writing that word (another letter different, but still seems phonetically correct)
79 hits, 16 unique users on AD

In these unique hits:

04 are confirmed hearing, 1 is/was interpreter

05 are deaf, but of unknown deaf background (latedeaf/oral)

07 are of unknown status.

This is a result of my findings, so far based ONLY on alldeaf and it is not to be concluded as empirical in any shape or form, I'm just trying to give you guys "interesting" statistics and maybe fuel the fire.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, Psychology of Deafness, , by Marc Marsharck, et.al. I will look into this for some answers on the conclusive realm.. hopefully.

Back