Funny Thing About Rush Limbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Rush, is that even after being put in the position of admitting his addiction, and seeking treatment, many of the outrageous behaviors that raised red flags continue. It would make one who is familiar with addictive behaviors, and sobriety to question whether Rush is indeed clean from mood altering substances, or if he has simply gone back to trying to manage his addiction

Which is typical addict behavior.

I take your word on it.

I am curious as to how you find the text to any radio program as I might wish to do so some time.

To me the more important part is "What is his stance toward drug addiction today?" Is he still on the mandatory prison sentence for all?

Rush makes the text of his radio programs available for everyone on the Internet which you can find by doing a Google search.

As for the last 2 questions in your post, I'm curious about that as well.

Rush Limbaugh's Statement On His Drug Addiction

Dateline: 10/10/03

"You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my life. So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication.

"I first started taking prescription painkillers some years ago when my doctor prescribed them to treat post surgical pain following spinal surgery.

"Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful and I continued to have severe pain in my lower back and also in my neck due to herniated discs. I am still experiencing that pain. Rather than opt for additional surgery for these conditions, I chose to treat the pain with prescribed medication. This medication turned out to be highly addictive.

"Over the past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps.

"Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me. The show will continue during this time, of course, with an array of guest hosts you have come to know and respect.

"I am not making any excuses. You know, over the years athletes and celebrities have emerged from treatment centers to great fanfare and praise for conquering great demons. They are said to be great role models and examples for others. Well, I am no role model. I refuse to let anyone think I am doing something great here, when there are people you never hear about, who face long odds and never resort to such escapes. They are the role models. I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem.

"At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete.

"So I will only say that the stories you have read and heard contain inaccuracies and distortions, which I will clear up when I am free to speak about them. "I deeply appreciate all your support over this last tumultuous week. It has sustained me. I ask now for your prayers. I look forward to resuming our excursion into broadcast excellence together."

This is the transcript from his admission on the radio.(I just Googled "Rush Limbaugh drug addiciton.)

However, I think it is also wise to keep in mind that Rush did not feel it necessary to come clean about his addiction until he had an investigation against him in relation to black market drugs, and news reports had already been published.

I actually sympathize with him and the position he was in. It must be horrible to discover you are so addicted to anything as that. It is one reason I have always refused to take pain medications. They scare the hell out of me.

I remember when I was a kid and the police hauled a man out of our apartment building in handcuffs and my mother saying, "That poor man. He risked his life for his country in the war. Got himself shot. He limps for the rest of his life because they couldn't get medical treatment to him fast enough. All the medics could do was keep him doped up on morphine to keep the pain down. So now he has a bum leg and an addiction and he doesn't even get any sympathy. Doesn't seem like much a reward, does it?"

I don't think all drug addicts are victims, but I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

In this I think Rush Limbaugh should lead the pack.

I take a benzo for my bipolar (Clonazepam) which can be addictive. However, my psychiatrist told me that as long as I'm responsible and take only the dosage required (2-3 pills/day), I should be fine. Besides, I'm taking a very small dose (.5mg) so the chance of becoming addicted is low.

When a person is prescribed Narcotics for pain management, I do believe in some states you have to go back to your doctor and get a complete checkup and a new prescription. Some doctors will only continue the narcotic pain management for a certain length of time, after that they look into other options such as surgery or therapy and rehabilitation.

Many pharmacies around here will not refill your narcotic pain medication without a doctor's prescription.

The USA Drug here will not even give you over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol without a valid driver's license and you have to sign a form.

I think it is in Washington State or possibly Oregon that you must have a doctor's prescription for medications that contain ephedra or the pharmacies will not give it to you. This includes medicines such as Sudafed, Tylenol Cold, Claritin, and others.

I actually sympathize with him and the position he was in. It must be horrible to discover you are so addicted to anything as that. It is one reason I have always refused to take pain medications. They scare the hell out of me.

I remember when I was a kid and the police hauled a man out of our apartment building in handcuffs and my mother saying, "That poor man. He risked his life for his country in the war. Got himself shot. He limps for the rest of his life because they couldn't get medical treatment to him fast enough. All the medics could do was keep him doped up on morphine to keep the pain down. So now he has a bum leg and an addiction and he doesn't even get any sympathy. Doesn't seem like much a reward, does it?"

I don't think all drug addicts are victims, but I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

In this I think Rush Limbaugh should lead the pack.

I'm all for giving addicts the benefit of the doubt. I have often said that addiction in any form is no more than a coping mechanism. A faulty coping mechanism, but a coping mechanism, all the same. Likewise, I am all for treatment, not incarceration, of the addict.

However, when addicts commit illegal acts, they cannot be permitted to use their addiction as justification for illegal or unnacceptable behavior. It is the consequences of that behavior that lead most to recovery.

In addition, I seriously doubt that Rush's problems with substance abuse began and ended with Oxycodone and Hydrocodone. If one checks some of the facts of his biography, it is easy to see the behaviors were present for many, many years, and no doubt included the abuse of other substances.

If Rush was a teacher, he would be fired on the spot.

If Rush was a teacher, he would be fired on the spot.

Absolutely. And if he were a doctor, he would not only be ordered into treatment as a condition of keeping his medical license, he would not be able to write narcotic prescriptions without being under supervision from another practicing physician.

The point is, most occupations would have levied some sort of a sanction against him.

When a person is prescribed Narcotics for pain management, I do believe in some states you have to go back to your doctor and get a complete checkup and a new prescription. Some doctors will only continue the narcotic pain management for a certain length of time, after that they look into other options such as surgery or therapy and rehabilitation.

Many pharmacies around here will not refill your narcotic pain medication without a doctor's prescription.

The USA Drug here will not even give you over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol without a valid driver's license and you have to sign a form.

I think it is in Washington State or possibly Oregon that you must have a doctor's prescription for medications that contain ephedra or the pharmacies will not give it to you. This includes medicines such as Sudafed, Tylenol Cold, Claritin, and others.

From what I understand, some doctors will only give you a limited number of pillls during a 30 day period. If you exceed that number before the end of the month, you are required to have a new prescription written. Such was the case for me when I was on Percocet for severe arm and shoulder pain.

As for OTCs, what if you don't have a driver's license? Will a state ID suffice? (I'm totally blind and can't drive.)

From what I understand, some doctors will only give you a limited number of pillls during a 30 day period. If you exceed that number before the end of the month, you are required to have a new prescription written. Such was the case for me when I was on Percocet for severe arm and shoulder pain.

It isn't just the physician that controls the amount. The DEA does by restricting the amounts that can be prescribed for any given patient. Exceeding that amount puts the physican's prescribing priviledges at risk. One does not automatically get prescribing prviledges just because one has a medical license. A doctor's license to prescribe is separate from his license to practice medicine. Priviledges can not only be revoked for over-prescribing, they can also be revoked for prescribing to a known addict.

Mod's Edit - Previous quotes are removed

I was on Vicodin following both of my CI surgeries and let's just say I REALLY REALLY liked how it made me feel. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't just the physician that controls the amount. The DEA does by restricting the amounts that can be prescribed for any given patient. Exceeding that amount puts the physican's prescribing priviledges at risk. One does not automatically get prescribing prviledges just because one has a medical license. A doctor's license to prescribe is separate from his license to practice medicine. Priviledges can not only be revoked for over-prescribing, they can also be revoked for prescribing to a known addict.

Does the DEA track the number of prescriptions that are given by a doctor's DEA number? The reason I ask is because my sister told me that my psychiatrist's DEA number is printed on the form he uses to write out my prescriptions (she wanted to know what a DEA number was).

Does the DEA track the number of prescriptions that are given by a doctor's DEA number? The reason I ask is because my sister told me that my psychiatrist's DEA number is printed on the form he uses to write out my prescriptions (she wanted to know what a DEA number was).

Yes, they do. The DEA number is basically the license number that gives prescribing privileges. It has to be available to any pharmacy that fills the prescription. Even if a prescription is called in, rather than written, the DEA number of the prescribing physican has to be given. Contolled substances cannot be prescribed without a DEA number.

Yes, they do. The DEA number is basically the license number that gives prescribing privileges. It has to be available to any pharmacy that fills the prescription. Even if a prescription is called in, rather than written, the DEA number of the prescribing physican has to be given. Contolled substances cannot be prescribed without a DEA number.

:ty: for the explanation.

jillio,

What if a prescription form does not have a DEA number listed on it? Does the pharmacy call the clinic to obtain this information? My last psychiatrist didn't have his DEA number listed on my prescription form.

and some people would think you should be fired for doing that. It is illegal to take medicene that is not prescribed to you. I would delete your post if I were you.

Even by accident? :confused:

The way and the concept of "law" works various ways and applies differently for each and every person. That's why we have fanatical pledgers and then the anarchist usurpers; it goes a long way.

You should have seen last week on AD for an example even.

Back on track with Limbaugh with this perspective:
If someone doesn't like what he says, then you can "add them" to your "ignore list". That's my two. Why bother sitting through what he has to say, just to spite back at him later?
Waste of time if it isn't going to keep him from going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back