Pros and Cons of 2nd & 3rd shift..

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
Well do you like working 2nd shift or not? What are good and bad things about it. My husband is currently working first shift but thinking about going back to 2nd or try 3rd shift for more overtime and more money to pay things off and have a house etc.

Uggh lol I don't work but I think it's great tho... If I worked I would prolly work 3rd shift! hehe Im a night time person! :) :)

FelixKat930 said:
Well do you like working 2nd shift or not? What are good and bad things about it. My husband is currently working first shift but thinking about going back to 2nd or try 3rd shift for more overtime and more money to pay things off and have a house etc.

I hate those kinds of jobs.

If I had to, and buses ran all night, I would work 3rd shift.

I hate getting up so early in the morning to go to work 1st shift, and 2nd shift would make me miss out on the great stuff that goes on in the evenings (hang out with friends, have fun, go out, etc). I'd rather work all night 3rd shift, go home at 7 am, sleep all day, and wake up sometime before 5 pm, and have fun, then go back to work at 11 pm. :)

Hopefully when I graduate I can get a job in Graphic Design and work a 9 to 5 job...maybe even have flexible hours...see what happens.

well i rather 3rd shift so my bf can have time for kids even they go to school, they can see kids in the afternoon. If my bf can't get 1st shift. It work out and to make sure kids can see the father too. Its up to u.

My husband works first shift now but he dont get bonsus and stuff like 2nd and 3rd does so he is considering it so we can pay debts off sooner and have goals in life like a big move.. job etc ya know.

Never did any 3rd shift kind of work. Did do quite a few late 2nd shifts at a Six Flags amusement park, though.

I'm happy sticking to my 8-5 hours. 9-5 jobs don't exist anymore as far as I know.

I guess it would depend on the job. I wouldn't mind working a 2nd shift from time to time. However, working a 3rd shift could be overwhelming.

Find 1st and 2nd shift jobs that pay more better pay. Go with the AFL-CIO if needed.

VamPyroX said:
I guess it would depend on the job. I wouldn't mind working a 2nd shift from time to time. However, working a 3rd shift could be overwhelming.

Second shifts are alright when they're used on a rotating basis, sure. Keeps things fresh, and frees up some time during the day to use for errands, but I wouldn't want to keep regular hours from 4pm to 12am (or other times used for a 40 hour workweek that starts after noon but before midnight).

I heard 3rd shift pays more than the 2nd shift but i guess it depend on what job u're talking about. *shrugs*

OldNavyGirl said:
I heard 3rd shift pays more than the 2nd shift but i guess it depend on what job u're talking about. *shrugs*
Well, what is a 3rd shift? Usually, it would mean 3rd job.

If the business was a 24-hour business, then that would be understandable... such as Walmart Superstores. However, for a place like Blockbuster Video... you would only have up to two shifts since there's opening and closing.

VamPyroX said:
Well, what is a 3rd shift? Usually, it would mean 3rd job.

If the business was a 24-hour business, then that would be understandable... such as Walmart Superstores. However, for a place like Blockbuster Video... you would only have up to two shifts since there's opening and closing.

3rd shift doesn't mean 3rd job. It simply means the hours are either from 11pm to 7 am or from 12am to 8 am, depending on the job. Not all places have those.

Doesn't matter as long your health is OKAY... so go for it do work 1,2,3 shifts

My husband is working D.A.M. = Day, Afternoon and Midnite shifts every 2 weeks routines change shift. He didn't complain about it.. as long to get $$$ so!
Midnight Shift always goes for little increase premium hourly. Does you have midnight premuim hourly ? If not.. so sorry I do not know what your company policy have.

Sorry!

my bf work as 3rd shift, and he always sleep daytime and spend time with kids and me every afternoon to late evening. Which is work out, he all cares to be there for kids and me than miss out of his life. He preferred to be have 1st shift but no available and took 3rd. He refused 2nd shift cuz he won't able to see kids if they go back to school.

I work 3rd shift since. Night shift is quiet work but tired of it. I guess so. I really want day shift. I can spend time with family better. 2nd shift duty I never experince before. I like either first or third shift. Yes night has more pay than day.

Back