racist behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem is that there is no "A" problem.

An underlying problem is that we are an egalitarian society with a school system based on a time when "The masters were educated and the lower classes were kept ignorant."

Instead of having a school system structured along the lines George Washington Carver set out we have a school system dedicated to the concept "Become educated so you can earn more money (note money, not education, equals superiority); become a leader (why not just say "Master" and be done with the charade), and leave the uneducated working class behind.

But there are some very obvious surface problems:There are a lot of problems and there are a lot of solutions.

One of the problems is keeping kids in school who do not want to be there simply because the school gets government money if they are in school and none if they are not. I was one of the kids who did not want to be there. I told a teacher, "I don't want to be here and you don't want me here. Let me go home and we will both be happy." She replied they needed the funding. So my response was, "Then you can earn your money and like it."

My wife tells a story about a kid whose only goal in life was to be a cat skinner like his dad. That is what he grew up to be. Made top money at it too. Why did they make him go through 4 years of high school when he could have been earning good money instead? Because the system didn't care about his life or his money. Only what the school could get in funding.

One really big problem is the school system (not necessarily all the teachers) have no concept of how to motivate children or adults. Their solution is to bully the children into learning what the school wants them to learn at the time the school wants them to learn it.

Souggy ran a video on what motivates people in the workplace. It also motivates kids in a learning environment. School boards should study video games on how to motivate kids instead of condemning them as "pointless pass times." They might learn something -- And it might also solve the problem of so many kids who only want one thing in life -- To escape school.

Another is the schools inability to handle any social problems at all. Whether it is bullying, inappropriate behavior, or lack of interest. They either attempt to bully the students into acting the way they are expected too or they punish everyone for the actions of a few.

An example of that took place here. Some deaf kids were in a school annex. When my daughter was young she went over and helped the teachers there and enjoyed it. A week ago when my grand daughter was asking me about sign language I suggested she go do the same and make friends with some of the deaf kids.

But she says that is no longer allowed because some hearing kids, under the guise of helping, bullied and made fun of the deaf kids.

Were the culprits punished?

They were given a verbal reprimand and the rule was made no hearing kids could go over there at all for any reason.

So who was really punished? As usual -- Not the guilty -- Everyone but.

Social responsibility should be just as much a requirement in school as knowledge of the material. Just because a bully can pass the test, or play sports, is no reason to pass them as having "a high school education." If they can't do their share of the work and help younger children who need assistance then they do not belong in the school system benefiting from it.

And speaking of sports -- Shouldn't the math whiz and the top science major get just as much acclaim and reward as the quarter back and the pitcher? If the school system wants the students to respect school subjects then maybe they should respect those who excel in them.

I could go on, but I think I hit the high points.

Sorry for the rant, but I really believe this country will stand or fall because of its educational system. And I'd really like to see it succeed.

Then allow school vouchers. Allow parents to decide on what kind of school their kids can attend and where.

I'm opposing school vouchers, hence, it should up to state.

...My son said at that cafeteria fight, 3 security guards still could not control / contain the food fight...the cafeteria was trashed and totalled....they did have it on video, and quite a few students got suspended for the rest of the year (only 1 more week of school)....NO BIG DEAL!....Why not suspend them from all Duval County schools???? For the next year??....That might force the parents to do something about their out-of-control kids!
Why not make the parents pay for the damages, and make the kids do community service?

I don't think suspension (other than in-school suspension) is much of a punishment if the kids don't enjoy school in the first place.

Why not make the parents pay for the damages, and make the kids do community service?

I don't think suspension (other than in-school suspension) is much of a punishment if the kids don't enjoy school in the first place.

That is the point. Me and a friend used to get into fights in front of the teachers all the time. We'd get suspended and the teachers never seemed to notice we jumped on our bikes and headed to town together laughing all the way.

But why keep us where they weren't going to bother to educate us anyway?

Then allow school vouchers. Allow parents to decide on what kind of school their kids can attend and where.

I'm opposing school vouchers, hence, it should up to state.

Why up to the state? Why not up to the parents?

Is the child the parent's?

Or the state's?

Or the federal government's?

Or at some point should the child belong to themself?

Why up to the state? Why not up to the parents?

Is the child the parent's?

Or the state's?

Or the federal government's?

Or at some point should the child belong to themself?

because states are in charge for public school so it should up to state to make decision to offers school voucher, if state wants to allow to do then parents can have choice.

I'm against on school voucher because I don't want my taxes go to religious private school.

because states are in charge for public school so it should up to state to make decision to offers school voucher, if state wants to allow to do then parents can have choice.

I'm against on school voucher because I don't want my taxes go to religious private school.

Now I understand.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just that I understand.

How is most of this in a thread titled racist behavior? I'm lost.

Because racist behavior is basically rebellion against the school system and against most of the tenets of public education -- That of equal opportunity for all.

Racist behavior is part of the overall school system, its failure or success. It is not isolated from the basic fabric of the rest of the problems in the school.

When students are frustrated and dissatisfied they become rebellious, angry, and intolerant of others. Those they choose to go after are those who are "different" and who are most accepted as targets by their friends and family.

In this case they are taking their ire out on racial minorities. At another place and time it might be left handedness or disability or other "difference".

It is common for people to take their frustrations out on the easiest and nearest target as demonstrated by many married couples who meet every one of life's challenges by fighting with each other.

I'm confident that is what the school will do, make the parents pay for the damage....as for "community service", I have no idea.
As for the kids "not enjoying school" in the first place, I have no idea of that either. I feel some of the kids were "bored", testing was over....and it being almost the end of the school year, thought they could get by with it, only 1 week to go....."Who cares?" is probably their thoughts...."let's have some fun"......but it got out of hand!

As for the "bomb threats", it was found to be made by the Seniors (several of them). "A Prank"...they called it!....What's the school to do? Refuse them their diploma? These are 17 and 18 yr. old kids.....A bad influence on the freshmen/sophmores/juniors.....and more than likely, it will happen again next year....

...As for the "bomb threats", it was found to be made by the Seniors (several of them). "A Prank"...they called it!....What's the school to do? Refuse them their diploma? These are 17 and 18 yr. old kids.....A bad influence on the freshmen/sophmores/juniors.....and more than likely, it will happen again next year....
Making bomb threats is against the law; they should be turned over to the police.

Making bomb threats is against the law; they should be turned over to the police.

I agreed, it need report to police and it is very serious.

Cafeteria food fights....seems to happen every year when school is almost out, but sometimes just happens at random....They throw food, trash cans, etc., anything they can find to throw....just for the heck or hell of it, not caring if they get suspended since school is about out.....Duval County has also had several "bomb threats"....my son was very late coming hom from school, via the bus. I was getting ready to jump into the car to see what was going on, and if he was walking home, or whatever....He said a bomb threat was made, and the buses had to be searched...no bomb was found. It was on the news that night.....He asked to be allowed to walk home, but students were not allowed to do that. They had to wait for the buses to be searched.

School will be out in Duval County June 11th. My son has 3 more years of high school....We send our kids to school for an education...and this is what we get!

Students here, are not allowed to bring their backpacks on the last week of school. It was a random notice that we got last Friday. Found out they did this to prevent kids hiding items for pranks and such on the last week of school.

Last week of school is usually the most mischievous week of school. That happens everywhere. not just in Duval County.

I agree, they should be turn to the police. They will not be withheld from their diploma, although, it is likely that they will not be able to graduate with their classmates and will have to graduate somewhere else. It's just a shame that they screwed up. There is nothing funny about scaring people for their life.

Students here, are not allowed to bring their backpacks on the last week of school. It was a random notice that we got last Friday. Found out they did this to prevent kids hiding items for pranks and such on the last week of school.

Last week of school is usually the most mischievous week of school. That happens everywhere. not just in Duval County.

yes, that is very true. Remember the bb gun story I told everyone about when we were riding the school bus way home? it also happened on the last day of school. Kids think they won't get in trouble on the last day of school but these guys got kicked out from school for good and it didn't matter if they were not on the school property or not (they were at a driveway of one of the boy's home, so that's how they got caught).

You really got to watch your kids on the last week of school. Things do get violent. There was another guy, who decided to hit me and my friend with a wired hanger because it was the last day of school. the school bus driver did not see it nor we reported it either. all this was back in the 90's and who knows it gotten worst? or the same?

Because racist behavior is basically rebellion against the school system and against most of the tenets of public education -- That of equal opportunity for all.

Racist behavior is part of the overall school system, its failure or success. It is not isolated from the basic fabric of the rest of the problems in the school.

When students are frustrated and dissatisfied they become rebellious, angry, and intolerant of others. Those they choose to go after are those who are "different" and who are most accepted as targets by their friends and family.

In this case they are taking their ire out on racial minorities. At another place and time it might be left handedness or disability or other "difference".

It is common for people to take their frustrations out on the easiest and nearest target as demonstrated by many married couples who meet every one of life's challenges by fighting with each other.

I'd imagine that you'd be in a postion to know.

It does not matter what color of skin for the Spanish kid. Every Spanish kid, even in our own native way, we have different shade of skin whether it is light or dark. It is the same with blacks too and you will notice they have different hues or shades of light or dark. The way I see what the authorities from the school is they would rather see white on their skin even if they are from Spain or Mexico. And that is discrimination no matter what they feel. If the artists want to paint what they see the kid, then so be it.

Berry, when you make the remark about racial behavior and why they are getting so frustrated or just want to get into trouble for no apparent reason. Then we are back in the old days of 1950 and 1960 discrimination against minority people. What happen to the melting pot, for Christ's sake? :shock: I am so glad that we have a black President of the United States of America and we should all be getting along just fine. Now I see it is not going to happen. It is a shame for the high school kids trying to get themselves in trouble by wrecking the cafeteria up or any other properties that belong to the school. :(

MY son just informed me tonight, that the last week of school, which starts Monday, they will be getting out at 11:30AM...(just high school) here....Could be becuz of all the tension going on, as for backpacks, nothing has been said about not allowing them the last week of school. My opinion is that the school(s) need to hire more security guards...and I think taser guns should be allowed or pepper spray/mace....

MY son just informed me tonight, that the last week of school, which starts Monday, they will be getting out at 11:30AM...(just high school) here....Could be becuz of all the tension going on, as for backpacks, nothing has been said about not allowing them the last week of school. My opinion is that the school(s) need to hire more security guards...and I think taser guns should be allowed or pepper spray/mace....
Oh, my, that's awful!

I attended four different public high schools in two states, and I never saw a security guard at any of them. It was during the turbulent 60's but there were no riots at any of the high schools that I attended, and no one used any weapons.

So sad what's happening in the schools. It seems that they're getting worse. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back