Interpreter dress code

Ziusudra said:
What about tongue studs? I once had an interpreter with one, and it was kinda distracting with all the metal glinting and all that.
Personally, I think the terp should remove it during assignments. It is distracting to the client. Also, when the terp is required to speak for the Deaf client, the stud impedes speech, and can reflect negatively on the Deaf client.

tongue studs dont bother me -- i had this terp who has one but i LIKED her alot -- she was GOOD (and CUTE as hell) and she had the tongue stud -- very down to earth -- thats the kind of terp i generally like cuz theyre not so TENSE

ive had BAD BAD BAD terps :roll: its usually those who were wayyy too tense, not fluid enuf with their ASL skills

Reba said:
I guess each country is different. In the USA, professional terps are supposed to follow guidelines of appearance and behavior. The reason for dressing a certain way has nothing to do with style or personal preference. One reason is to make it easier for the Deaf client to see the signs clearly, and not get tired eyes. Another reason is to look professional, not like a volunteer terp from off the street. A third reason is to not embarress the Deaf clients in front of the hearing clients.

If a terp has a professional attitude, then he/she should not mind dressing appropriately.

If a client complains about the terp's appearance or behavior, nothing bad happens to the client. They don't "lose" terps. If the terp wants to keep working, the terp must make the changes.

Of course, a terp should never, never criticize the clothing of a client.

I am curious. How do you hire terps in Bavaria? Thru an agency, or as individuals in private practice, or ...? Who pays?

Interesting: It´s good that you want to keep your job as terps and respect your clients what you wear but for us is different. Terps would leave us if we demand too much from them and no respect etc.

Sorry for not response your post an earlier.

I talked a terp. & my friends about your post and need their feedback last week. They are total surprised and said that it´s too much demanding. The terp. said she understood that every countries are different. Her question: Would you wear like this during hot summer time? :eek: She said that she will tell her clients to look for other terps if they do not sataisfy what she wear. My friends said that deafies should be glad that they have terps. around. Why demanding too much? :roll:
Honestly Reba, I order terps often for years due parent meeting, evenings, conference, lawyers, doctors, agreement contract, etc. etc. The kind/color of clothes, jewellery, hair, make-up etc. what terps wear is really doesnt bother me & my friends. I never heard any complaints against terp´s clothes until I read any posts here for a first time. (no offense).
I ordered terp last summer. She wore mini rock and t-shirt.

Yes, we hire terps thru agency. There´re professional and non-certifcated terps around. Agency do not accept "private" terps and would not pay me if I hire private terps.

The Agency have strict rules for terps except clothes what they should wear.
I apply my wish terp. to agency then they make an arrangement for me where I should meet, time, etc. etc. etc.

Agency cover terps cost:
Parent evening, meeting, conference, lawyer, rights, agreement contract with bank over house loan, notary, etc etc. except divorce........

Healthy insurance cover terps cost:
therapies,
contract agreement with doctor before an operation
important appointment with doctor over result etc

Court cover terps cost:
criminals, etc etc except divorce

No offense to everyone

Fly Free said:
tongue studs dont bother me -- i had this terp who has one but i LIKED her alot -- she was GOOD (and CUTE as hell) and she had the tongue stud -- very down to earth -- thats the kind of terp i generally like cuz theyre not so TENSE

ive had BAD BAD BAD terps :roll: its usually those who were wayyy too tense, not fluid enuf with their ASL skills

yeah, some of terps have tongue studs, eye-brow studs. :lol: They look beautiful when they sign with tongue stud on it, also color nail polish with "diamond" on it. wwwoooww

Liebling:-))) said:
yeah, some of terps have tongue studs, eye-brow studs. :lol: They look beautiful when they sign with tongue stud on it, also color nail polish with "diamond" on it. wwwoooww

ohhh yea nailpolish -- ack i DO NOT like those who uses RED nailpolish :dizzy: im ok if they used neutral colors -- earth tones or clear is good with me pink can be acceptable if its not so BRIGHT PINK if u get the idea :lol:

Buttttttt

Can I dress like Sharon Stone in movie Basic Instinct..???

I just need to uncross my legs.

Interesting: It´s good that you want to keep your job as terps and respect your clients what you wear but for us is different. Terps would leave us if we demand too much from them and no respect etc.
That is amazing. Terps at my company cannot refuse service to Deaf clients. We work for a business that serves the clients. It is our responsibility to please the clients. Clients do not need to please terps or terp business.

I talked a terp. & my friends about your post and need their feedback last week. They are total surprised and said that it´s too much demanding.
Too demanding? That is surprising. It is really no big deal. Many businesses have dress codes for employees. Terping is the same. The code is for professionalism, and to make things comfortable for the clients. That is good business practice.

Would you wear like this during hot summer time?
We wear whatever is appropriate to that specific time and place. I don't wear a black suit for daily work. That is for church and formal business assignments. If I terp at a picnic, I wear casual clothes. If I terp at a public school, I dress similar to the teacher staff. BTW, I live in SC, and work during very hot summers; the good news is, all the buildings here have excellant AC! :)

She said that she will tell her clients to look for other terps if they do not sataisfy what she wear.
Wow! That is a very unprofessional selfish attitude!

My friends said that deafies should be glad that they have terps. around. Why demanding too much? :roll:
Oh, my!

Honestly Reba, I order terps often for years due parent meeting, evenings, conference, lawyers, doctors, agreement contract, etc. etc. The kind/color of clothes, jewellery, hair, make-up etc. what terps wear is really doesnt bother me & my friends.
That is most important. If you are satisfied, that is what counts.

I ordered terp last summer. She wore mini rock and t-shirt.
Sorry, I don't know what is a "mini rock". Was her t-shirt a plain color, or did it have pictures and words? In your opinion, was the outfit appropriate for the setting? That is important. If you and the hearing clients were dressed in a similar way, then that is OK.

Agency do not accept "private" terps and would not pay me if I hire private terps.
What do you mean, "would not pay me"?

I apply my wish terp. to agency then they make an arrangement for me where I should meet, time, etc. etc. etc.
This is how it works here:
The Deaf client needs a terp (for work/college/medical appt.). The hearing client (work super/college disabilities office/doctor's receptionist) contacts the interpreting company. The terp company schedules the terp, tells the terp when and where to show up. The company tells the terp what kind of appointment, so the terp knows what to wear and what kind of signing is expected. The hearing client pays the terp company. The terp company pays the terps.

Agency cover terps cost:
Parent evening, meeting, conference, lawyer, rights, agreement contract with bank over house loan, notary, etc etc. except divorce........
Who pays the agency?

Healthy insurance cover terps cost:
therapies,
contract agreement with doctor before an operation
important appointment with doctor over result etc
Do you mean your health insurance pays for the terp? In America, the hospitals and doctors are responsible for paying the terps.

No offense to everyone
No offense taken. I hope not to offend you also. :) I am just curious and interested in the ways different countries use terps. This is very educational to me!

TTT said:
Can I dress like Sharon Stone in movie Basic Instinct..???

I just need to uncross my legs.
That reminds me. Deaf clients have NO restrictions on how they dress or behave. Sometimes it can be very distracting. Clients can wear bright zig-zag stripes, short skirts and no undies, see-thru tops, etc. They can twirl their hair, click tongue piercings, pop facial pimples, sleep, belch, or pick their noses. Does a terp complain? Never! We just learn to ignore distractions.

Terps also have to control their emotions. I have had to interpret extremely emotional conversations. Sometimes strong anger is expressed, sometimes heart-breaking sorrow and deep anguish floods out from the clients. I just put my personal feelings "on hold" until later. That is why God created pillows--pillows can accept many boo hoo tears and fist punchings.

Interpretrator said:
That just cracked me up. I have heard some INTERESTING stories about some interpreters who would have made you very happy!
Ha, ha, yes! I am paranoid about showing more than expected. I prefer not to wear tops with low necklines or "gappy" button fronts. I always carefully check the restroom mirror before assignments. I don't need to be standing on a platform with a streamer of TP hanging on my shoe, or a skirt stuck in my pantyhose, or a booger-flag waving from my nose. Yikes!

Some things can't be helped. Sometimes I unexpectedly break out in hives (I don't know what I am allergic to). It can happen while I am terping a class. I will be sitting at the front of the class, signing away, when all of a sudden my lips swell to unbelievable size! I can feel it happen, and I can see the students' eyes get bigger and bigger. Oh, well!

Interpretrator said:
I agree, I think smocks are pretty much a thing of the past, or at least that is what I have heard from people who have been interpreting for 20 or 30 years and have seen the profession change.
Last week I found out that I might need to wear a smock! Not for terp reasons, but for safety reasons. Some of the classes I terp require smocks, safe shoes, and safety glasses for everyone present because they use chemicals and sharp instruments.

The above picture is very professional, but it definitely depends on where you are interpreting.
Absolutely. I usually wear a similar suit just for Sunday church service interpreting, or very formal business meetings.

In a community college setting (where I mostly interpret), that would be too formal. I would feel really silly if I were dressed better than the teacher! I usually wear a black or dark blue plain T-shirt (no pockets, logos, etc.) and a pair of neutral-colored pants.
I usually dress similar to the instructors, too. It depends on the course. Some of the instructors dress more "business-like" for the traditional courses. Others dress more casually for the "artistic" or technilogical courses. None of the instructors wear t-shirts, so I usually wear a shirt with a collar, like a polo shirt.

For employee meetings, it depends on the industry involved.

For one client, I used to interpret regular monthly business meetings. They were fairly casual Friday afternoon meetings. Well, one month I showed up as usual in the regular "casual-Friday" attire. No one bothered to inform me that this month's meeting was special. The theme was "Oscar" night. Yes, everyone was dressed in tux or evening gown, and the room was decorated like for the Academy Awards. Gulp!

I thought this article was interesting. It focuses on low-vision Deaf but many of the principles still apply. Here is an excerpt:

Dressed to Distress?
By Tara Potterveld, MA, IC/TC, CI and CT, California, and Marylouise Lambert, BA, OTC, California
Copyright VIEWS, Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. Reprinted with permission.

"I am a Deaf person who has Usher's Syndrome. I went to a low vision clinic at a prominent research university to have my eyes checked. A fair skinned interpreter showed up wearing a shirt that was pink on one side and yellow on the other. Needless to say, I could not see the interpreter's hands against this minimally contrasting background. By the time my driver ran to the car to get a black jacket for the interpreter to wear, we were twenty minutes late starting the appointment."

... as interpreters, we should make it easy for Deaf people to read our signs...

"...if your skin is very dark, you'll want a top that offers as much contrast as possible and at the same time reflects as little light as possible. A soft cotton top that is medium to light gray color is generally a good choice. A `not too bright' yellow is good ... If you have very light colored skin, tops that are black or navy blue are absolutely the best choice for people with retinitis pigmentosa ... People with optic atrophy, rubella, or cataracts often prefer a brighter color such as aqua blue, emerald green, or even dark pink." (p. 113) Smith also notes that the clothing fabric should be non-reflective, soft rather than shiny, and that "touchy-feely clothes that are tactually beautiful are always nice." (p. 109) When interpreting for consumers regularly, it is helpful to ask what clothing colors they prefer the interpreter to wear.

...keep your fingernails short and smooth. "I prefer the interpreters not to use fingernail polish as even clear polish reflects light."
"Because of reflected glint and glare, which is distracting, I appreciate when interpreters remove body piercings and other jewelry when working with me. Unfortunately, even shirt buttons in strong light can flash bits of light to my brain, making it hard to concentrate on the signing."

We are proud to be in a profession where our colleagues put so much effort into developing and enhancing their skills. We appreciate the dedication and hard work of all interpreters. Those fine skills are of little use, however, when an interpreter arrives at an assignment wearing clothing, jewelry, or nail polish that make it impossible for the Deaf person to take full advantage of the interpretation.

The responsibility for ensuring that a consumer's interpreting needs are appropriately served belongs to the agency, the interpreter, and the consumer. If each of these participants assumes responsibility for making the interpreting environment the very best possible for the consumer, these special accommodations are more likely to be discussed and implemented and true professional service rendered.

For more, read: http://www.tsbvi.edu/Outreach/seehear/winter01/dressed.htm

Reba said:
I thought this article was interesting. It focuses on low-vision Deaf but many of the principles still apply. Here is an excerpt:

Dressed to Distress?
By Tara Potterveld, MA, IC/TC, CI and CT, California, and Marylouise Lambert, BA, OTC, California
Copyright VIEWS, Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. Reprinted with permission.

"I am a Deaf person who has Usher's Syndrome. I went to a low vision clinic at a prominent research university to have my eyes checked. A fair skinned interpreter showed up wearing a shirt that was pink on one side and yellow on the other. Needless to say, I could not see the interpreter's hands against this minimally contrasting background. By the time my driver ran to the car to get a black jacket for the interpreter to wear, we were twenty minutes late starting the appointment."

... as interpreters, we should make it easy for Deaf people to read our signs...

"...if your skin is very dark, you'll want a top that offers as much contrast as possible and at the same time reflects as little light as possible. A soft cotton top that is medium to light gray color is generally a good choice. A `not too bright' yellow is good ... If you have very light colored skin, tops that are black or navy blue are absolutely the best choice for people with retinitis pigmentosa ... People with optic atrophy, rubella, or cataracts often prefer a brighter color such as aqua blue, emerald green, or even dark pink." (p. 113) Smith also notes that the clothing fabric should be non-reflective, soft rather than shiny, and that "touchy-feely clothes that are tactually beautiful are always nice." (p. 109) When interpreting for consumers regularly, it is helpful to ask what clothing colors they prefer the interpreter to wear.

...keep your fingernails short and smooth. "I prefer the interpreters not to use fingernail polish as even clear polish reflects light."
"Because of reflected glint and glare, which is distracting, I appreciate when interpreters remove body piercings and other jewelry when working with me. Unfortunately, even shirt buttons in strong light can flash bits of light to my brain, making it hard to concentrate on the signing."

We are proud to be in a profession where our colleagues put so much effort into developing and enhancing their skills. We appreciate the dedication and hard work of all interpreters. Those fine skills are of little use, however, when an interpreter arrives at an assignment wearing clothing, jewelry, or nail polish that make it impossible for the Deaf person to take full advantage of the interpretation.

The responsibility for ensuring that a consumer's interpreting needs are appropriately served belongs to the agency, the interpreter, and the consumer. If each of these participants assumes responsibility for making the interpreting environment the very best possible for the consumer, these special accommodations are more likely to be discussed and implemented and true professional service rendered.

For more, read: http://www.tsbvi.edu/Outreach/seehear/winter01/dressed.htm
You're right! When it comes to doing projects or things, I always refer to all or some of CRAP. Yep, you heard it right... C.R.A.P.! What it stands for is Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, & Proximity. For this situation, contrast is important.

When I hear stories about interpreters showing up dressed inappropriately (pink and yellow shirts??), wearing tongue studs, etc., I have to assume they have not gone through an interpreter training program (ITP).

Now I DON'T mean to stereotype people who haven't gone through an ITP as unprofessional. I know many excellent, professional interpreters who did not have professional training.

But in ITPs it is usually drilled into students what to wear and how to appear. We are made very aware of this and also why it is important.

Someone here said that it seems these days interpreters are dressing worse. I disagree. More people are going through ITPs these days. I think these interpreters you have encountered probably learned sign and Deaf culture through associating with d/Deaf people, either in their families or out in the community -- and in neither of those places do people always wear "appropriate" clothing! Many people, including many interpreters, don't know the difference between signing and interpreting, and that what is fine to wear at a deaf event just won't work as well when you are interpreting.

I would suggest speaking either to the interpreter or her supervisor if you have a problem with what she's wearing. If it's bothering you, it's probably bothering other clients as well! Any professional interpreter should be accepting of ways to improve her service. I know if I were unintentionally doing something to distract my clients, I'd want to know about it immediately!

(But then I once had someone complain that I only wore black tops. Sometimes you just can't win!)

I've heard of a female 'terp wearing a tank top and her armpits were never shaved.

Interpretrator said:
When I hear stories about interpreters showing up dressed inappropriately (pink and yellow shirts??), wearing tongue studs, etc., I have to assume they have not gone through an interpreter training program (ITP).

Now I DON'T mean to stereotype people who haven't gone through an ITP as unprofessional. I know many excellent, professional interpreters who did not have professional training.

But in ITPs it is usually drilled into students what to wear and how to appear. We are made very aware of this and also why it is important.

Someone here said that it seems these days interpreters are dressing worse. I disagree. More people are going through ITPs these days. I think these interpreters you have encountered probably learned sign and Deaf culture through associating with d/Deaf people, either in their families or out in the community -- and in neither of those places do people always wear "appropriate" clothing! Many people, including many interpreters, don't know the difference between signing and interpreting, and that what is fine to wear at a deaf event just won't work as well when you are interpreting.

I would suggest speaking either to the interpreter or her supervisor if you have a problem with what she's wearing. If it's bothering you, it's probably bothering other clients as well! Any professional interpreter should be accepting of ways to improve her service. I know if I were unintentionally doing something to distract my clients, I'd want to know about it immediately!
:gpost:

(But then I once had someone complain that I only wore black tops. Sometimes you just can't win!)
Maybe that person thought you were too "Goth". ;)

You are right; sometimes you just can't win!

Reba said:
That is amazing. Terps at my company cannot refuse service to Deaf clients. We work for a business that serves the clients. It is our responsibility to please the clients. Clients do not need to please terps or terp business.

wow, I understand now since you mention "business" how to please clients. Here is different. Terps are self-employee and do what they wants but they has to stick the Terps. cost after agreement with Agency. Agency only pay professional and non-certifated terps. only.
Terps do what I require is no problem but with dress, no. I respect what they are as they do the same with me, too.

Too demanding? That is surprising. It is really no big deal. Many businesses have dress codes for employees. Terping is the same. The code is for professionalism, and to make things comfortable for the clients. That is good business practice.

I understand about "business" what you mentioned but here is different. Terps. are not belongs kind of business but self-employee. See above. We have few terps in Bavaria, that´s why.

We wear whatever is appropriate to that specific time and place. I don't wear a black suit for daily work. That is for church and formal business assignments. If I terp at a picnic, I wear casual clothes. If I terp at a public school, I dress similar to the teacher staff. BTW, I live in SC, and work during very hot summers; the good news is, all the buildings here have excellant AC! :)

Yes, it´s same with Germany. Terps. know what they wear when there´re special occassion like what you mention.

Wow! That is a very unprofessional selfish attitude!

selfish? For me, not. IMO :dunno:
I think it´s selfish when anyone demand too much from terps. because the RESPECT each other is number one!

That is most important. If you are satisfied, that is what counts.

We really dont care what they wear but satisfied what they did for us. It´s important that terps. do good enough for us.

Sorry, I don't know what is a "mini rock". Was her t-shirt a plain color, or did it have pictures and words? In your opinion, was the outfit appropriate for the setting? That is important. If you and the hearing clients were dressed in a similar way, then that is OK.

I mean short skirt or shorter. I dont know what american langague is. mini skirt? Right?

What do you mean, "would not pay me"?

Sorry to confuse you with those word. I mean that Agency would not support me with terps cost if I order terps privately without inform Agency or private terps without non-certifcated and professional.

This is how it works here:
The Deaf client needs a terp (for work/college/medical appt.). The hearing client (work super/college disabilities office/doctor's receptionist) contacts the interpreting company. The terp company schedules the terp, tells the terp when and where to show up. The company tells the terp what kind of appointment, so the terp knows what to wear and what kind of signing is expected. The hearing client pays the terp company. The terp company pays the terps.

Who pays the agency?

Government

Do you mean your health insurance pays for the terp? In America, the hospitals and doctors are responsible for paying the terps.

Yes, health insurance pays for the terps.

Oh dear, I saw some of posts in threads how they had the problems with doctors, lawyers etc because they dont like to pay terps for deafies. I think it´s wrong because government is suppose to pay them, not doctors and hospitals.

No offense taken. I hope not to offend you also. :) I am just curious and interested in the ways different countries use terps. This is very educational to me!

Oh no, I´m not offend but interesting.

Sorry for not response your post an earlier.

I understand now about `business´ which it´s different from Germany.

:ty:

Last edited:
Here is different. Terps are self-employee and do what they wants ...
Many terps here are also self-employed. They still obey terp ethics, and dress appropriately for assignments. If they don't, they don't get called again.

We have few terps in Bavaria, that´s why.
That is probably a strong factor. If there are not many terps, there is not much competition, so the terps do whatever they want. They know that the clients are stuck with the situation.

selfish? For me, not. IMO :dunno:
I think it´s selfish when anyone demand too much from terps. because the RESPECT each other is number one!
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that you are selfish. I meant the terps have a selfish, unprofessional attitude. It is obvious that the terps do not respect their Deaf clients if they have that attitude. If a terp respects a client, they should want to please the client and do their best work in a professional way.

I mean short skirt or shorter. I dont know what american langague is. mini skirt? Right?
OK, I understand now. Thanks. :)

Sorry to confuse you with those word. I mean that Agency would not support me with terps cost if I order terps privately without inform Agency or private terps without non-certifcated and professional.
I guess "agency" in Germany, and "agency" in the U.S. don't always mean the same thing. The "agency" that I work for is actually a private business. It has no connection to the government.

Yes, health insurance pays for the terps.
Does that mean deafness is considered a medical problem, and terps are a health necessity? Is that the reason?
Does health insurance cover all terp assignments or just doctor/hospital appointments?

It is very interesting that each country is different.

Reba: That is probably a strong factor. If there are not many terps, there is not much competition, so the terps do whatever they want. They know that the clients are stuck with the situation.

Yeah, it could be true. I heard that alot of terps in America, that´s why Deafies has no problem to deal with terps. I must say that they are lucky.
Of course terps stuck Agency´s rule and also German law, too for not tell anyone what they see when they terps for us.

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that you are selfish. I meant the terps have a selfish, unprofessional attitude. It is obvious that the terps do not respect their Deaf clients if they have that attitude. If a terp respects a client, they should want to please the client and do their best work in a professional way.

Yes, I know what you mean is terps., not me.
mmmhhh, I understand what you mean but I see the different. Of course terps respect their deaf clients´s attitude - no matter what deafies wear. Deaf clients repsect terps the same - no matter what they wear.
Yes, we are sataisfed that way what terps are because they treat us very well. Why should we worry about the clothes, jewelly, make up eg what they wear?

I guess "agency" in Germany, and "agency" in the U.S. don't always mean the same thing. The "agency" that I work for is actually a private business. It has no connection to the government.

No connection to government? How you get money? As you mentioned that U.S. agency, you work for is a private business. How agency get the money from?

Let me explain:
Agency get the money from government with list what they can pay or not every year.
Agency deliver the list of bills how much they spent on terps cost to government to check every year ...
Self-employee terps. send the bill to agency with client´s signuature to proof that they are present, how many hours they terp for us, how many hours drive and km, etc. (terp. cost is not cheap). Agency transfer terps´s bank account everyday. (yes EVERYDAY because they are self-employee).
What Agencies are not pay is:
Employers (bosses) who own the companies, factories, court, hospitals, doctors, insurances etc. have to pay their own if they need terps for their deafies. The terps. can require more money from them privately without Agency´s rule whatever they wants because its outside of Agency.

Does that mean deafness is considered a medical problem, and terps are a health necessity? Is that the reason?
Does health insurance cover all terp assignments or just doctor/hospital appointments?

Health insurance cover the terps cost only is:
Due Agreement contract to sign before prepare surgeries is MOST important to get terps to understand about deafies client´s health condition. What cons/pros etc.
Due bad result about Deafies client´s health from Doctor - get terp.
Risk health is MOST IMPORTANT to get terps. that´s why health insurance companies are for that.

I´m disagree what you say about doctors because it´s not fair that doctors in hospital has to pay the terps costs from their own pocket when they deal with deafies clients. It´s healthy risk, the government should consider. What if doctors refused to pay terps. cost?

We (deafies) can deal with doctor ourselves without terps. is go to doctor when they are fever, flu, etc etc..

Last edited:
No connection to government? How you get money? As you mentioned that U.S. agency, you work for is a private business. How agency get the money from?

Some examples:
The doctor pays the company that I work for. The company pays me.
The college pays the company that I work for. The company pays me.
The business that employs deafies pays the company that I work for. The company pays me.
Government offices/services that use terps pay the company that I work for. The company pays me.

Agency get the money from government with list what they can pay or not every year.
There is no government limit for interpreting services here because the government is not paying the bill (except for its own deafie employees).

Agency transfer terps´s bank account everyday.
I get paid weekly.

I´m disagree what you say about doctors because it´s not fair that doctors in hospital has to pay the terps costs from their own pocket when they deal with deafies clients. It´s healthy risk, the government should consider. What if doctors refused to pay terps. cost?
Doctors are not poor. They can afford to pay the nurses, the receptionist, and the cleaning service. They can afford to pay terps, too. It is part of the doctors' overhead business expense. The cost is deducted from the doctor's taxable income.

Doctors cannot refuse. It can jeopardize their ability to take Medicare/Medicaid patients if they don't obey the ADA. The doctors do not want to lose their Medicare/Medicaid patients!

We (deafies) can deal with doctor ourselves without terps. is go to doctor when they are fever, flu, etc etc..
I think you might get some disagreement from other deafies here.

Quote:

I think you might get some disagreement from other deafies here.

What do you mean?

We can deal with our doctors ourselves if there´re little things like flu, blood test, cough, etc etc.

I get terps when there´re a BIG and RISK.

I will be back with my more answer later. (I´m going to fix the breakfast for my family now). :D

Back