Deaf with Developmental Disabilities

missywinks

Reaction score
Question: Does anyone know of any articles or resources on the importance of signing environment for deaf clients with developmental disabilities? :ty:

Me again. I thought I would give you a little bit more background. I am seeing lots of deaf clients with developmental disabilities leaving our residential program (after graduation) and being put in a non-signing adult environment and their well-being and skills have declined as a result. I have talked with the clients and they are NOT happy. So I have arranged a meeting with the Coordinator of the program and I would appreciate any resources or information that I could share with her. P.S. I am in Canada, so ADA wouldn't apply. :)

Me again. I thought I would give you a little bit more background. I am seeing lots of deaf clients with developmental disabilities leaving our residential program (after graduation) and being put in a non-signing adult environment and their well-being and skills have declined as a result. I have talked with the clients and they are NOT happy. So I have arranged a meeting with the Coordinator of the program and I would appreciate any resources or information that I could share with her. P.S. I am in Canada, so ADA wouldn't apply. :)

I know the group home owner hired the two of my deaf friends to work with deaf developmentally disabled clients. I feel they knew my friends knew ASL and are deaf, and could reach and relate to the clients better VIA ASL. My friend said the clients will rebel and not even attempt to work with the staffs that do not know ASL.. Who can blame them? They are already challenged and frusterated. Let alone they need someone they can communicate with.

I know the group home owner hired the two of my deaf friends to work with deaf developmentally disabled clients. I feel they knew my friends knew ASL and are deaf, and could reach and relate to the clients better VIA ASL. My friend said the clients will rebel and not even attempt to work with the staffs that do not know ASL.. Who can blame them? They are already challenged and frusterated. Let alone they need someone they can communicate with.

I agree with you. That is what is happening with my former clients now...it would be nice to have something published, or some information to share with the Coordinator to show that it is not just my perspective.

put them in a hospital where they get cared for than let them wander the streets causing trouble and pissin ppl off!

At my 2nd job I work for CSSD...Community Support Services for the Deaf....it is a GREAT program for deaf adults with developmental disabilities. Maybe you can contact them for advice?

Developmental Disabilities Administration

I agree with you. That is what is happening with my former clients now...it would be nice to have something published, or some information to share with the Coordinator to show that it is not just my perspective.

Let me go through my research stash, missywinks. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something pertinent.

Well at my former job working with DD clients... most of them are deaf workers during the day. There was few hearing employees (not all) ones (usually the ones at night shift to make sure they are sleeping and not fooling around, ya know? Most of the hearing ones work with the hearing DD clients. I think it depends on the orginzation that takes care of the DD clients.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is very helpful. :ty:

At my 2nd job I work for CSSD...Community Support Services for the Deaf....it is a GREAT program for deaf adults with developmental disabilities. Maybe you can contact them for advice?

Developmental Disabilities Administration

That's a great suggestion- I will definitely contact them.

PS: NIce to connect with you again! It has been a while since we last saw and talked to each other.

:wave: I'm glad many of the other "regulars" here came back to you, I have worked with d/Deaf kids with developmental disabilities but thought you were probably looking for something very concrete, such as links or research and I don't have that to offer.

What level of developmental disabilty are we talking about?
Perkins School for the Blind may have some info and resources since they serve dhh with severe developmental issues.
Also, a good school to contact might be Beverly School for the Deaf. They are experianced with dhh students with developmental issues.
Children's Center for Communication

Back