PBS "Through Deaf Eyes"

I totally missed it my PBS channel is not working due to my apt building , we need cable to watch these channels. I hope the library will have copy so, I can watch at a later time.

I watched on TPT2, there is an available for me, I am lucky! I live in St. Paul, Minnesota have a show through deaf eyes. Yay for me.
I reviewed it, it's great, there is 8.6 out of 10 after I watching the show.
Unfortunately, I can't spoil it at alldeaf.com forums before you will watching it.

I would want to buy it for DVD! Because I want to watch it again.

I am watching it right now. I am SOOO glad there is NO stupid commercial! :giggle: So far I know few of them on it! :) I was like OMG!!! LOL!

Me too! I hate frickin' commercials! You just said, might you had
never watching the PBS, because you thought that has commercials,
but it don't have commercials during the show! :)
If it has commercials, skip it to watch, get a DVD.

Wow...........I know two of the people in the documentary........my friend Gina and my friend Christopher from the parent deaf-hh listserv.

Saw it, and I thought this was interesting... Some of them I agree with it and some of them I dont agree with it. So far, this is REALLY neat. And I am glad most people watch that show and learn what deaf is all about.

Pretty quite interesting and long hours.. I thou... 1 hour but not it's 2 hours.. LOL

I went bed at 2am... (chuckles) Good thing, I did recording this show last nite.. and came watch t.v. at midnight.. til finished 2am.. oh boyee... LOL

Wow... last night my husband and I watched the show. It was great. My husband loves it and he learned a lot about deaf culture. It was awesome. It was pretty interesting when the show was made BEFORE 2006 protest.

The part I found it interesting about Marlee Matlin and her award, that deaf people were offended about Marlee was using her voice at Oscar award. I remembered that deaf people who were mad at her at that time I was not culturally involved.

What part did you like about this show?

Crazymomma, I agree, there are some parts I don't agree and agree. Most of all, this show is educating non 'D'eaf members and hearing people. I think it is great!!!

I missed the first half, but my wife saw it. From what I saw of the second half of the show, it was very good. I do want to watch it again on a replay. I will have to check the schedule. I really loved the short films made by the deaf film makers. I would love to track down a deaf theater in St.Louis. I would really love to experience that, and deaf story telling for my daughter.

Wow! I thought the show was great! I want to order the DVD so I can watch it again.

Wow... last night my husband and I watched the show. It was great. My husband loves it and he learned a lot about deaf culture. It was awesome. It was pretty interesting when the show was made BEFORE 2006 protest.

The part I found it interesting about Marlee Matlin and her award, that deaf people were offended about Marlee was using her voice at Oscar award. I remembered that deaf people who were mad at her at that time I was not culturally involved.

What part did you like about this show?

Crazymomma, I agree, there are some parts I don't agree and agree. Most of all, this show is educating non 'D'eaf members and hearing people. I think it is great!!!

Yea, it is great shows.. My hearing husband watched with me, but he went to Zzzzzzzzzz in the middle of the show. :squint:

It was a great show to watch it. I know alot of people in that show. I was surprise to see my daughter's classmate with her teacher like i say to myself "OMG!". Dang! I wish my daughter was in that show with her favorite teacher. This morning, I showed it to my daughter and she was surprise to see her good friend in the show (I taped the show for my daughter to see it). I bet she will tell her friend that she saw him with their teacher. LOL

It didn't show in my area for some reason. They showed 25th anniversary of Elvis Death concert instead!! I will call and complain!

Excellent production values. However, I'm confused -- they say this was completed before the 2006 protests. But they refer to I King Jordan as a "former" administrator in the program. Obviously, he was on his way out at the time of taping and I guess that they knew he would be done by the time this aired, so maybe they just planned for it knowing he wouldn't be President anymore at that time. If that was the case, I'm surprised we didn't see any interviews with Jane Fernandes, unless she pulled permission later.

It didn't show in my area for some reason. They showed 25th anniversary of Elvis Death concert instead!! I will call and complain!

Is that PBS channel and came pop up ELVIS DEATH CONCERT show on?

Have you check channel directly and to see "PBS at 9pm" if you didn't.. oh well..
guess so too bad!
:giggle:

Excellent production values. However, I'm confused -- they say this was completed before the 2006 protests. But they refer to I King Jordan as a "former" administrator in the program. Obviously, he was on his way out at the time of taping and I guess that they knew he would be done by the time this aired, so maybe they just planned for it knowing he wouldn't be President anymore at that time. If that was the case, I'm surprised we didn't see any interviews with Jane Fernandes, unless she pulled permission later.

Good catch, Dennis! I wonder what's gonna come of that once the deaf world realizes this?

I have known about it, in 15 minutes I totally forgot...I missed it :( what a busy mom of 2 girls. I looked TV schedule for repeat there's late midnight on March 23, gonna to set to record :fingersx:

You have a valid point there, Dennis. I have wondered about the same thing - It is also possible that PBS decided not to get Jane Fernandes in the film because it could very well send an uproar in the deaf community or what-a-not.

I have also noticed that it was showing the 1988 Deaf President Now protest but it did not show the recent protest at Gallaudet University. Granted, I realize that PBS was progressing the video in 2006 (and I assume, it was during the recent protest) - however that might be the reason why it was not mentioned to get Jane Fernandes in it as well.

I recall, I. King Jordan said in the video that everyone was deaf in his/her own way. It seemed as if he was a bit reluctant on the film not to say anything more than he wanted to.

On the other hand, I watched the show on the TV last night for 2 hours and I must say, It was very educational, indeed. I think the film was trying to be 'neutral' since there are a lot of controversial topics that is among the deaf community.

Here's something interesting to read - This is a discussion guide/discussion question that is provided on PBS. org - It's worth reading. Here's the link - Through Deaf Eyes . Resources . Discussion Guide | PBS

Back