Winter Tire thread

What if you have to go to work? Some jobs require you go to work no matter what the weather is out there.

bus/subway. That's what I do in winter time. I don't ride about 3 months a year.

but for those who are in crappy situation where snow plow service is nonexistent... well.... get a Subaru :)

bus/subway. That's what I do in winter time. I don't ride about 3 months a year.

but for those who are in crappy situation where snow plow service is nonexistent... well.... get a Subaru :)

LOL, we have great snow plow services here. So, it's not too much of a worry on main streets.

LOL, we have great snow plow services here. So, it's not too much of a worry on main streets.

good. then you're fine with all-season tires. problem solved.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Jiro said:

good. then you're fine with all-season tires. problem solved.

Yea, if I live in a small town out in country, 4X4 and snow tires would be helpful but I live in a good sized metro area so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I won't be going out of town anyway.

never use 'em

reba doesn't need to worry about snow tires. she just hops on over to the local army depot and borrows a tank.

When we were in Missouri, we used Studded tires in Winter only on the truck and SUV's and Van's. My car, we use all-terrain tires. Missouri will not allow the studded tires to be used after a certain time. You have to switch back, so our shed was filled with extra tires. We only did the studded on the rear wheels.

plus - when you have 2 sets of tires (all-season and winter)... do you have a storage space for it? and it costs money to swap the tires.

and... common sense says that you shouldn't be out driving in bad weather. that's the cheapest way to go.

Plus it is bad for tires to sit. I would worry about my winter tires the 2nd year after sitting for three seasons

Not surprised that it's illegal in Texas because it doesn't snow that much over there, but funny thing is that in Seattle area, it's legal to have studded tires between Nov 15th to March 15th or so. You can't go on highway speed with studded tires, though.

i tried studded tires once in my life--- pure D crap. after that i swore off any winter tire

I'm wondering where is the best place to order all season tires at a reasonable price. I'm trying to limit to around $300 total with labor charges, but doubt that. I found a good set that have good reviews in winter driving which cost total of $300 with warranty which doesn't include bringing it to the shop to mount and balance them which cost at least $50 for 4 tires. I've tried discounttires.com and tirerack.com.

I have been using two sets of tires for the longest time ever. But with one of my jeeps I stuck with the bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko the whole year. So far I will need to replace it after 25,000 miles which is pretty good imho. Drove it in snow like a breeze, go offroading with it, etc. Im pretty rough on my tires.

But if you wanted some good stuff... I'd vouch for the blizzaks. Had that on my Audi and it rocked.

For Iowa and it's ice... I'd get a cheap set of studded tires. If you're in the know, you can find tire dealerships that will let you have a decent set of barely used studs for 150 dollars or less.

posts from hell said:
I have been using two sets of tires for the longest time ever. But with one of my jeeps I stuck with the bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko the whole year. So far I will need to replace it after 25,000 miles which is pretty good imho. Drove it in snow like a breeze, go offroading with it, etc. Im pretty rough on my tires.

But if you wanted some good stuff... I'd vouch for the blizzaks. Had that on my Audi and it rocked.

For Iowa and it's ice... I'd get a cheap set of studded tires. If you're in the know, you can find tire dealerships that will let you have a decent set of barely used studs for 150 dollars or less.

Naw, not wasting 150 or so for studded tires. I also need new tires, too. The rear tires are going bald and front tires are ok but need to replace in all fours.

Naw, not wasting 150 or so for studded tires. I also need new tires, too. The rear tires are going bald and front tires are ok but need to replace in all fours.

:) okay.

My last set of studded tires was $117 installed with all the goods, including alignments.

Even if it is only for a season, its well worth it. I had mine for 3 years.

When I was growing up on a farm a thousand years ago, Dad simply bought re-caps and those were good enough as, back then, we didn't go far in the wintertime....but sometimes studded tires did the trick for other folks because our country roads were "domed"; one could literally be stopped on "black ice" and slide to the shoulder, oftentimes into the ditch, too.....:lol:

posts from hell said:

:) okay.

My last set of studded tires was $117 installed with all the goods, including alignments.

Even if it is only for a season, its well worth it. I had mine for 3 years.

That's cheap. I heard studded tires are illegal in Iowa, but have to double check with that.

I checked and yes its legal from Nov 1 to April 1, but the issue is I don't have storage space for those tires, etc. I will stick with a good all season tires purchase this fall.

On the other note, they should invest heated road technology. Its already done in some areas of the US and Canada, but they are expensive.

That's cheap. I heard studded tires are illegal in Iowa, but have to double check with that.

Studded tires are legal in Iowa and studded tires are illegal in Illinois.

Iowa Motorist Information | National Motorists Association

Studded tires are permitted from November 1 to April 1

We have no problem with FWD with ETC for snow/ice and AWD without ETC. We don't need winter tires.

Back