Traveling alone

Jeffinator

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've decided to take a year off from college to recharge my batteries. I want to travel somewhere in the world this August. Traveling with a buddy isn't really possible since all my friends are still in school or can't afford it.

Money is not a concern. What I am concerned about is the drawbacks of traveling alone as a Deaf individual communicating only by ASL and/or written English.

Obviously, going to countries where people don't usually know English (SE Asia, perhaps?) probably will work. How safe are these places for someone like me?

In your opinion, what are the best countries to meet and socialize with Deaf people? I'm American.

Thanks!

I'd say Germany. That is the only country I had ever been to....it was so easier to socialize wth Deaf Germans. Their sign language in Deutsch wasn't too difficult to understand.

I went to Munich, Dachau, and Fussen (for touring at Neuschwanstein Castle.)

Hmm.. maybe going with a travel group would work out for you? I don't think the country would matter. I went to Nairobi (in Kenya) by myself but traveled with a safari group (about 15 people). Everyone knew I was deaf and made sure I understood everything that the guide said. It was just awesome and sweet. Travel groups are meant for people who want to interact with others who are like themselves.

My boyfriend and I travel Australia one year ago. Such beautiful country!!! Love it there. Much fun to do. Many many travelers! We meet two girls from England which are Deaf and we travel with them to great barrier reef.

Traveling Vacation

hello, I want to travel but I couldn't find anyone who are interesting go! :wave:

Am looking for new friends from aboard as well so me and my good friend are planning to travelling around the world for about 18 or more months. we wanna visit Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and USA. =]

Im planning to something nearby, Malaysia or Indonesia perhaps for me! ANd im game to host anybody who visits India (south)!

Am looking for new friends from aboard as well so me and my good friend are planning to travelling around the world for about 18 or more months. we wanna visit Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and USA. =]

Hello,

Sorry for late response. How much cost for during 18months to traveling? I recent went Europe in three week ago. I love it I am planing goin this summer but I haven't decide which location will I visit,

Im planning to something nearby, Malaysia or Indonesia perhaps for me! ANd im game to host anybody who visits India (south)!

My friend is current live I'm Malaysia. It really cool if u go. But how can u arrange it? I'm dunno which next trip will I go.

I've traveled alone from DC to San Francisco 2,800 miles in 48 hours. Best experience in my life! You should try that, or bike across the America would be so much fun!

I live in India and it doesnt cost as much to travel to other South East countries. There are plenty of hostels for cheap staying and it costs close to nothing to go further down to Indonesia!:naughty:

I've traveled alone from DC to San Francisco 2,800 miles in 48 hours. Best experience in my life! You should try that, or bike across the America would be so much fun!

I already travel from Detroit to Chicago then travel to Los Angelo then drive thru Arizona to Texas, Louisiana then back to Chicago then back home in Michigan. I love road trip. But I try to explore in other countries.

I live in India and it doesnt cost as much to travel to other South East countries. There are plenty of hostels for cheap staying and it costs close to nothing to go further down to Indonesia!:naughty:

Really. That will help a lot. Hav u visit America?

Hi MissBass, no i havent visited America, would love to though. I just cant afford it right now!

Back