Blu-ray discs and players with real CC

Good thing for that! I remember when they came out with DVDs. My thought was, what about all those tapes I have! Of course, had to replace them all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29RUYMUSyM&feature=related]YouTube - HDMI, Component and Composite Comparison[/ame]

Does anyone know of any blu-ray discs that have CC and blu-ray players that support CC?

I'm talking about actual CC here, not subtitles or SDH (Subtitled for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing). This means that you need to use the yellow video jack on the back of the blu-ray player, connect to the yellow video jack on the TV, and turn captioning on with the TV.

I bought the Aliens vs. Predators blu-ray because it said CC on the back, but there's no CC on line 21 of the composite video coming out of my Sharp blu-ray player.

All I want to know is whether anyone has found any blu-ray disc/player combo and been able to get good-old-fashioned line 21 CC on the composite video output.

Thanks!

This is the digital age...it would be pretty complicated to get the "analog" captioning on the digital video players where its not really related to analog.

I wouldnt really worry abt it as long as the movies have subtitles where captions are absent, it's still good for the deaf audience to enjoy the movies anyway.

Right, Nathan Use both composite and component cable in my Sony Blu ray player while playing dvd movies with closed caption. HDMI don't support CC. then play Blu-ray movie with subtitle (CC) in HDMI. Closed caption subtitles in blu-ray movie are very clear and sharpen (not blur) than dvd movie.

Does anyone know of any blu-ray discs that have CC and blu-ray players that support CC?

I'm talking about actual CC here, not subtitles or SDH (Subtitled for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing). This means that you need to use the yellow video jack on the back of the blu-ray player, connect to the yellow video jack on the TV, and turn captioning on with the TV.

I bought the Aliens vs. Predators blu-ray because it said CC on the back, but there's no CC on line 21 of the composite video coming out of my Sharp blu-ray player.

All I want to know is whether anyone has found any blu-ray disc/player combo and been able to get good-old-fashioned line 21 CC on the composite video output.

Thanks!

Geez! I have same issue about some of deaf people do not care about it because of new way and cheaper to use subtitles instead of Close Caption. There another issue pop up on all brand new DVD player are no longer support (CC) also there is a new kind of jack on back of TVs or DVD players called HDMI do not support (CC). It is BS because if I want to record TV shows in future use by blu-ray record and this will not save your (CC) signal to make the texts display on TV. Now, back to the point: Blu-Ray movies use subtitles know as SDH and some case label say (CC) are worthless. I did talk to Sony and nothing stop them unless someone stand up and fix the FCC rules. Again, The subtitle look good on 1080P via Blu-Ray compare to regular DVD have ugly subtitles which I rather use (CC) but no longer use it anymore on newer movie on DVD. Unless as I say again, some of us need to make some action to do this.

Geez! I have same issue about some of deaf people do not care about it because of new way and cheaper to use subtitles instead of Close Caption.

When I first came here, I was expecting couple deaf people would complain about cheapy subtitles on Blu-Ray. I was surprised the react from this forum that they said "they don't have closed caption, but it have subtitles. Oh well, it's better than nothing." And no one really complained about it. I was, like, WTF? Using subtitles are probably the most difficult way to follow the conversation between actors - especially at same time which you cannot tell which said which.

Universal Studio DVD/Blu-Ray are only ones that used "special" subtitles that uses very similar with black/white closed caption. Why not other studios follow Universal Studio's way? That would make everything easier.

There another issue pop up on all brand new DVD player are no longer support (CC) also there is a new kind of jack on back of TVs or DVD players called HDMI do not support (CC). It is BS because if I want to record TV shows in future use by blu-ray record and this will not save your (CC) signal to make the texts display on TV. Now, back to the point: Blu-Ray movies use subtitles know as SDH and some case label say (CC) are worthless. I did talk to Sony and nothing stop them unless someone stand up and fix the FCC rules. Again, The subtitle look good on 1080P via Blu-Ray compare to regular DVD have ugly subtitles which I rather use (CC) but no longer use it anymore on newer movie on DVD. Unless as I say again, some of us need to make some action to do this.

Actually, there are three cables - HDMI, DVI, and Component - that will not carry so-called "Line-21." Some Blu-Rays has CC on it because if you hook up your Blu-Ray to S-video port or composite, it will show CC (that's what I've read).

What is your next plan when the DVDs stops making and produces Blu Ray Discs instead, hmm?

Blu-ray movie discs to outsell DVDs in 2011? :shrug:

Blu-ray may have won the high-def format war, but it still has a tough fight in its hands which is to get customers to actually ditch the standard DVD format. And though adoption has been rather slow for the format – thanks in part to the still relatively high price tag for equipment – Sony claims Blu-ray discs could outsell DVDs in three year’s time.

According to Tim Meade, Asia Pacific vice president for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, global sales of Blu-ray discs are expected to increase from 9 percent in 2007 to 25 percent by the end of this year. The rise in sales will be fueled by the introduction of more discs and lower-priced Blu-ray players and should reach a ratio of roughly 40:60 compared to DVD in 2010.

Blu-ray would supposedly take the lead a year later. Sony is the main proponent of the high-def format, so their big claims are to be expected. If they are accurate, however, Blu-ray would still have to face another growing threat: digital distribution. Of course, digital distribution still can’t match the video and sound quality offerings of a disc-based medium but, hopefully with the proper infrastructure and bandwidth, in a few years it will.

Blu-ray movie discs to outsell DVDs in 2011 - TechSpot News

DVD will be retire very soon like Beta, VHS and HD-DVD already retired.

Blu-ray Disc:
Laser Wavelength: 405 nm (Blue-Violet Laser)
Storage Capacity: 25 GB per layer / 50 GB both layer
Video Resolution: 1920x1080

HD-DVD:
Storage Capacity: 15 GB per layer / 30 GB both layer

DVD:
Laser Wavelength: 650 nm (Red Laser)
Storage Capacity: 4.7 GB per layer / 8.5 GB both layer
Video Resolution: 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL)

P.S. - NTSC mean in USA and Canada or PAL mean in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

I can prove you ... Blu-ray disc is better than HD-DVD or DVD, why? I show you a picture

Predator (Left is DVD and Right is Blu-ray Disc)

bluray_vs_dvd.jpg

The Terminator 2 (Top is Blu-ray Disc and Bottom is HD-DVD)

t2-sarah-connor-blu-ray-disc-dvd-comp-x1920.jpg

I do understand how your feeling, sound like you not want waste all your own DVD Movies but I do have tons of VHS and DVD, but I never throw them away and I always saved them as my memory and collection, but I thinking Blu-ray disc is worth it than DVD, I did went go to Future Shop (look like Best Buy in the USA) anyway I did bought Sony Blu-ray Disc & DVD Player in One System.

SonyBluRay.jpg

Last ... you talk about Closed Caption, they are too old and Now everywhere is Subtitle, sorry, we can't stop them and This is Business War. If you love Closed Caption then you should save your own VCR Player or DVD Player if you do good care. :laugh2:

Last edited:
Blu-ray movie discs to outsell DVDs in 2011? :shrug:

Blu-ray may have won the high-def format war, but it still has a tough fight in its hands which is to get customers to actually ditch the standard DVD format. And though adoption has been rather slow for the format – thanks in part to the still relatively high price tag for equipment – Sony claims Blu-ray discs could outsell DVDs in three year’s time.

According to Tim Meade, Asia Pacific vice president for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, global sales of Blu-ray discs are expected to increase from 9 percent in 2007 to 25 percent by the end of this year. The rise in sales will be fueled by the introduction of more discs and lower-priced Blu-ray players and should reach a ratio of roughly 40:60 compared to DVD in 2010.

Blu-ray would supposedly take the lead a year later. Sony is the main proponent of the high-def format, so their big claims are to be expected. If they are accurate, however, Blu-ray would still have to face another growing threat: digital distribution. Of course, digital distribution still can’t match the video and sound quality offerings of a disc-based medium but, hopefully with the proper infrastructure and bandwidth, in a few years it will.

Blu-ray movie discs to outsell DVDs in 2011 - TechSpot News

I believe that some movie distributors would follow Sony which will outsell DVDs next two years. Similar to switch from movie VHS tapes to movie DVD disks.

When I first came here, I was expecting couple deaf people would complain about cheapy subtitles on Blu-Ray. I was surprised the react from this forum that they said "they don't have closed caption, but it have subtitles. Oh well, it's better than nothing." And no one really complained about it. I was, like, WTF? Using subtitles are probably the most difficult way to follow the conversation between actors - especially at same time which you cannot tell which said which.

Universal Studio DVD/Blu-Ray are only ones that used "special" subtitles that uses very similar with black/white closed caption. Why not other studios follow Universal Studio's way? That would make everything easier.

I've noticed that subtitles don't tell you other things captions do, such as what kind of noise people are hearing. And I've come across foreign movies that are "subtitled" -but the subtitles only appear when the actors are speaking non-English, and disappear when English is spoken. How am I supposed to enjoy it? :roll:

Actually, there are three cables - HDMI, DVI, and Component - that will not carry so-called "Line-21." Some Blu-Rays has CC on it because if you hook up your Blu-Ray to S-video port or composite, it will show CC (that's what I've read).

BUZZZ! Wrong answer! I have old DVD player with component still work with CC but if we use progressive like 480P will not work also all of newer DVD player not support at all cause think SDH do fine, nope if you want record some show on DVD or blu-ray then we will be stuck.

Blu-Ray have beautiful subtitles but DVD have ugly one. Think again, finally we have custom CC build in new TV to set your prefer such as blackbox or without or outline also color plus font style similar to hearing have Bass and treble (whatever) to adjust for their prefer.

DVD will be retire very soon like Beta, VHS and HD-DVD already retired.

Blu-ray Disc:
Storage Capacity: 25 GB per layer / 50 GB both layer

HD-DVD:
Storage Capacity: 15 GB per layer / 30 GB both layer

DVD:
Laser Wavelength: 650 nm (Red Laser)
Storage Capacity: 4.7 GB per layer / 8.5 GB both layer
Video Resolution: 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL)

P.S. - NTSC mean in USA and Canada or PAL mean in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

I can prove you ... Blu-ray disc is better than HD-DVD or DVD, why? I show you a picture

Predator (Left is DVD and Right is Blu-ray Disc)

bluray_vs_dvd.jpg

The Terminator 2 (Top is Blu-ray Disc and Bottom is HD-DVD)

t2-sarah-connor-blu-ray-disc-dvd-comp-x1920.jpg

I do understand how your feeling, sound like you not want waste all your own DVD Movies but I do have tons of VHS and DVD, but I never throw them away and I always saved them as my memory and collection, but I thinking Blu-ray disc is worth it than DVD, I did went go to Future Shop (look like Best Buy in the USA) anyway I did bought Sony Blu-ray Disc & DVD Player in One System.

SonyBluRay.jpg

Last ... you talk about Closed Caption, they are too old and Now everywhere is Subtitle, sorry, we can't stop them and This is Business War. If you love Closed Caption then you should save your own VCR Player or DVD Player if you do good care. :laugh2:

what about record your favorite show on blu-ray player in future which not support CC. geez!

BUZZZ! Wrong answer! I have old DVD player with component still work with CC but if we use progressive like 480P will not work also all of newer DVD player not support at all cause think SDH do fine, nope if you want record some show on DVD or blu-ray then we will be stuck.

Umm... I tested it on my Blu-Ray with component - but I haven't tried it on standard DVD player with component. I'll take your word. :)

I moved my PS3 to the Sony LCD (HDTV) and the picture looked different than the standard old Sanyo TV (1993) and turns out I was squinting the words on the menu on the old TV but looked better on the Sony HDTV (32") and the picture qauility is HEAPS better

I moved my PS3 to the Sony LCD (HDTV) and the picture looked different than the standard old Sanyo TV (1993) and turns out I was squinting the words on the menu on the old TV but looked better on the Sony HDTV (32") and the picture qauility is HEAPS better

Of course! I have PS3 hooked to 40" 1080P and feel like a giant monitor similar to PC CRT.

Back