To all hearing parents of Deaf kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be jillio, It does boggle my mind but I try not to concern myself with it too terribly much, sometimes I find the best answer to "why" is just simply "because". Live and learn right! :)

You are certainly right about that. Most of the time "why" doesn't matter at all. All that matters is what is. Even after we know "why" we still have to deal with "what is." Yeppers, live and learn!

My mother did not learn ASL. Due to she was misguided by doctors. I was raised orally. But she did make sure other accommodations were made for me.

My mother did not learn ASL. Due to she was misguided by doctors. I was raised orally. But she did make sure other accommodations were made for me.

Yes, I'm sure she did what she thought was best, because the people who are supposed to know told her that was best. It happens to a lot of parents.

My mum learnt BSL soon as I started Reception aged 4 as I wasnt talking much, my teachers told her not to sign but she noticed I wasnt really making much spoken progress so she started using sign at home, it improved my spoken skills

My mum learnt BSL soon as I started Reception aged 4 as I wasnt talking much, my teachers told her not to sign but she noticed I wasnt really making much spoken progress so she started using sign at home, it improved my spoken skills

Knowing what I know now, I would tell the teacher to stop telling me what not to do and get a life.

It adds to the reasons I prefer homeschooling to public school, at least the teacher will care that the student gets the right education.

I remember someone asked my Mom to learn ASL but she refused because she wanted me to learn to speak and all that.
To be honest, that didn't bother me. I speak really well and I hear pretty good.
Really, I don't think it would do anything for me lol.

Even sometimes when I can't hear her she uses home signs you know LOL! Some were funny haha.

Not all people actually Learn ASL, it could be BSL or Auslan or some form of other sign language/ this is just not an american board.

My mum doesnt mind if I want to sign, like if I bring my friend over I usually sign with them.
Yeah my mum makes up signs too as she has forgotten all her sign language as i dont use it at home and im like mum, nooo and shes like teach me i go no thanks

Not all people actually Learn ASL, it could be BSL or Auslan or some form of other sign language/ this is just not an american board.

Good reminder, Deafteen90!

I do believe in sign for children though.

Yes I have worked that out, I dont see why some people cannot use both sign and speech at the same time, there's no harm in it

Yes I have worked that out, I dont see why some people cannot use both sign and speech at the same time, there's no harm in it

Fear of ASL and fear of deafness.

I guess there needs to be more publicity and stuff about sign language and deafness

Hopefully that'll happen. There should be at least a deaf advert on like every week.

I really like the quotes you have below posts, Deafteen90! :D

ah, i didnt know that gil eastman made good quote. He was a nice guy.

Someone ought to enlighten IKJ that many deaf people with cochlear implants can hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back