Banned in Philadelphia! Texting While Walking

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia officials next month plan to use more “stick” in a program that takes a carrot-and-stick approach to bad behavior by people in cars, on bicycles, and on foot.

The program, dubbed “Give Respect, Get Respect,” was launched at the beginning of May, aimed at reining in bad behavior by motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians in Center City (see previous story).

Since then, some tickets, but mostly warnings have been handed out.

But Deputy Mayor Rina Cutler says starting in August, more citations will be issued...

Pedestrians who text while they walk without looking ahead will also be targeted

Banned in Philadelphia! Texting While Walking - Philadelphia - Fox Nation

Weird! I won't text while walking on streets and parking lot areas.

I am surprised I never heard new change law is banned for philadelphia!

What about people reading a book while walking ? I see people walking across the street all the with out looking and I see this a lot in parking lots and the people are not texting,. They just are not paying attention to where they walk! This just away to made money!!

padded-poles.jpg

Its about paying attention to your surroundings and giving common curtsey to others. If you're texting while walking and not paying attention, you could run into another person, a pole, walk into traffic causing an accident, or not be aware that someone is following you. It's just as much about safety as it is about being respectful of others and being alert to your surroundings. I remember when it was common for two people passing each other on the sidewalk to at least acknowledge each other by exchanging nods of the head and making eye contact. If it was someone you knew, you made a point to at least say 'Hello', even if that person is/was an adversary.

Don't you even remember as children if you were not paying attention, your mother would scold you, saying "Watch where you are going! Pay attention!" Well apparently some people never learned this lesson as children so now the police are having to play 'babysitter' and begin issuing citations to get people to pay attention. There is a world beyond a screen, it's known as 'reality'.

I personally find it annoying when two friends are sitting in a room and are texting each other rather than having an open face-to-face discussion. Makes me want to rip their phones out from between their thumbs. We have only replaced NES and SNES game controllers with cell phones in this generation.

Here's something to ponder: What did the generation before me do with their thumbs? Did they twittle them?

Only thing I don't text while walk by cross the street, it's much dangerous.

Wirelessly posted

I think it's a money maker. I agree, need to pay attention to your surroundings to avoid accidents like FF said a woman falling into the fountain at the mall or other dangerous spots. There's a place and time to use text and not go overboard with this one.

Last edited:
U know what is worst? I went in the incident zone at New York City. I asked the police about what going on. Turn out that driver were on phone to make call and the jaywalker use texting. He probably lose his knee and driver look idiot.

I'll pass on that. Texting while walking, who gives a shit? They need to stop being overprotective to us. The politics are not my mommy and daddy.

We should never text while walking - a deaf girl was killed by train while she was texting while walking.

Back