Drivers License

blonde1

Reaction score
Hi. I am in an ASL class at my school and we are doing a project. My topic is, "how do deaf people get their license?" I was hoping someone could give me information on how they get their license, if there are any extra test they have to take, if they have to have something saying they are deaf on ther license. All I would like to know is what is the process for deaf people to get their license. Thanks for your help.

I got mine in the same manner as hearing people got theirs. If they made me take an extra test - I would have SUED them for discrimination!!!!!

Hi. I am in an ASL class at my school and we are doing a project. My topic is, "how do deaf people get their license?" I was hoping someone could give me information on how they get their license, if there are any extra test they have to take, if they have to have something saying they are deaf on ther license. All I would like to know is what is the process for deaf people to get their license. Thanks for your help.

We go through the same process as the hearing people do. No extra bureaucracy or anything.

I follow as the other AD'ers just said. I get treated as the other hearies - take the standard test and take the driving test. No problem.

Last edited:
I went to mainstream High School. Anyone who was 15 or older take the Driver's Ed class. We take our tests after the classes. When we pass, then on our 16th birthday, we go out to get our permit. One year of driving, blah blah, then the driver's license test. I took it the same manner as a hearing person. I did not have an interpreter, did not have anything. Which was okay because I could speak for myself. If only I had a bigger car, the lady that tested me was um...very very large. My whole little car tilted!

Anyways.....There's really no difference in my opinion on how we take the test. The only neat thing is we get a nice small sticker on our driver's license with an ear and a slash over it (you know the symbol for deaf). That's it.

There's no discrimination for deaf drivers. :)

I went to mainstream High School. Anyone who was 15 or older take the Driver's Ed class. We take our tests after the classes. When we pass, then on our 16th birthday, we go out to get our permit. One year of driving, blah blah, then the driver's license test. I took it the same manner as a hearing person. I did not have an interpreter, did not have anything. Which was okay because I could speak for myself. If only I had a bigger car, the lady that tested me was um...very very large. My whole little car tilted!

Anyways.....There's really no difference in my opinion on how we take the test. The only neat thing is we get a nice small sticker on our driver's license with an ear and a slash over it (you know the symbol for deaf). That's it.

There's no discrimination for deaf drivers. :)

In bold above, down here in Australia, we don't get these, and we should! We keep telling the cops that we are deaf so they are aware of it. Maybe, I should just make a petition then! That idea would have saved our time. Our licences are the same as hearing people hold

I don't have that symbol on my license. But I am required to have mirrors on both sides of the vehicle as it is stated on my license because of my deafness.

Most vehicle nowadays have it on both sides instead of just one. So it's no problem.

Other than that, it's same as hearing people.

For me, it is not necessary, as long the person who monitor the tests knows how to communicate with the deaf personnell. For example, mine was easy as the man knew how to communicate as he has experiences in the past -- he used hand signals and writes stuff on special paper, similar to a whiteboard. Easy as!

There was nothing different for me. I did it the same way as every hearing people did it. I got a 100% on my driving test. :)

There was nothing different for me. I did it the same way as every hearing people did it. I got a 100% on my driving test. :)

I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf? :giggle:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :)

I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf? :giggle:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :)

Hint: Use the mirror and practise makes perfect ;)

Blonde,

In Montana and Oregon, USA, there are no test difference for the standard driving license; however, as SilentWolfDog stated, printed in the restriction section of my license is that any vehicle I drive must have outside mirrors.

As of 2002, for completely deaf drivers like me, we cannot get a chauffeur's (commercial) license (even though I had a CDL for over three decades). I had to get special permits to drive big bee trucks within the state.

All of the above restrictions are bogus audist descrimination.

It used to be that, in some States, the only thing that was different for deaf drivers was the requirement to have rear view mirrors. Today's automobiles all have those mirrors.

Like some, I took a driver Ed class in High school when I was at least 15 1/2 years old. I took the standard written tests... in Wisconsin, we had two different tests: one for reading signs... which everybody has to pass that test 100% before you can take a written test. After passing that written test, you can progress to get a permit... the same as hearing person progress. Some take test by the computer. I did road test thru gestures and hand signals... no need for an interpreter to be there... they're just in the way! In Wisconsin, we were taught, both hearing and deafs to use ALL THREE MIRRORS! (I saw that in Pennsylvania, I don't think they teach that, haha.)

For some other deaf people, who has some trouble with standard test progress, they take a group test with an interpreter to interpret the questions. We have a deaf teacher who teaches deaf adults in Philadelphia driver education. So, it really varies, depending on the level a deaf/hoh person is at.

Although, for me, I took the standard progress as any other person would. My driver license says nothing except that I needs correction lense for driving. Thats all. (that applies to my Pennsylvania license.) For my Wisconsin license, I only recall having correction lense as well, I believe. I guess it would vary from state to state on how it is put on deaf license?

tousi said:
..Today's automobiles all have those mirrors.

..umm...not necessarily 'all' have those mirrors--see below. :D

Kelly%20Boen%20Win.jpg

:lol: (yea, I just had to do it...)

~RR

More on the mirror thing . . .

I was backing a bee truck and trailer unit out of a California orchard last January when an almond branch snapped into my mirror and broke it. Part of my seven years of bad luck was contending with CHiPs.

I had the farmer's wife call CDOT and ask if I could drive my truck to the Ford dealership in Stockton to fix it. They said since I was deaf, if my truck was caught on the road without the required mirror in place, I would be ticketed and the truck would be wheel-locked until the mirror was fixed.

But I was thinking too literally, and the farmer's wife taped her compact mirror on the bracket, and I drove to Stockton with a clear (and silent) conscience.

Clever lady.

I was 14 years old when I took my permit test and drivers test. Later on when I was right age, I drove to my drivers class at high school. Even had a motorcycle license when I was 15 and rode my motorcycle to drivers class!
Joy of being a teenager! :giggle:

Back