YouTube Taking Down Sign Language Music Videos

alley- I just saw your videos and I liked them and your choices of songs to sign with. Hope you tube doesnt remove your songs.

Perhaps, it's not YouTube that we should be blaming? What if it's the RIAA?

A lot of people have had problems with the RIAA. The RIAA has been breathing down a lot of people's necks for downloading music. So, if anything resembles any music of any kind that's copyrighted in any way... the RIAA is likely to attack.

Perhaps, YouTube was threatened by the RIAA and YouTube is simply doing this to save their own necks. :(

What if she signed the lyrics without the music?

I see somebody already made similar suggestion @ youtube.
That's what I was wondering. If they sign the songs without audio, would that be OK?

Perhaps, it's not YouTube that we should be blaming? What if it's the RIAA?

A lot of people have had problems with the RIAA. The RIAA has been breathing down a lot of people's necks for downloading music. So, if anything resembles any music of any kind that's copyrighted in any way... the RIAA is likely to attack.

Perhaps, YouTube was threatened by the RIAA and YouTube is simply doing this to save their own necks. :(

I was thinking the same thing! But I also wonder if they'd take it down if you only did the signing without the music. And if they did, I wonder how that would not fall under fair use for educational purposes? (And not some kind of possible ADA violation of rights to interpretation...)

Just my two coin of the realm.

removing audio might work along with a different title, but it wouldnt be right nor the same.
Being HOH, i much rather be able to hear the audio and watch the signs the same time. I am moved by the way she signs, and the music sounds she has picked. Not being able to hear the actual words being said, but i love the tunes. So - stripping the audio will sux. Perhaps she can have her own website just for deafies to go and watch that is not under youtube ?

I believe it is WMG that is pushing YouTube to cut videos. I know Ally is trying to fight it under the 'Fair Use Law'. She is helping the deaf community so much not only with helping make music accessible but now she is also doing kids books! I signed her petition and really hope they will allow her to continue.

If you guys have seen her videos and support her you can also sign the petition...
http://www.petitiononline.com/allyasl0/petition.html

I think signing songs without the audio shouldnt be taken down cuz there is no way people can download the "music" :roll:

There are lots of websites out there that print the lyrics and even the sheet music for lots of popular songs yet they don't get "banned" for infringement. These sites are up for people to learn to play or sing the songs, why not signing the songs?? There's hardly any difference between the two.

I watched this too when it showed up on my subscribers list. I signed her petition and I hope they will leave the ASL videos up. I have learned a lot of signs from her videos. :( ...

This post is completely in perspective of the hearing world's take on music.

For the music industry to track down their stuff, they mainly go by 2 critical factors that I know of. youtube doesn't sit down trying to track down if what you uploaded was illegal, the recording/production company is doing it! This is why you'll notice that when you upload content, you don't get hit with the "Sorry, your video was taken down" until a few weeks, or a few months after you uploaded it.

Here's proof of my recent accusation and take down by youtube - I've had this happen to me a few times uploading content from movies, or music. Read the notice carefully.

Youtube said:
Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. claiming that this material is infringing:

*********** - ********** (my video was deleted)

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to prevent this from happening, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.

If you elect to send us a counter notice, please go to our Help Center to access the instructions.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.

Sincerely,
YouTube, Inc.

popularity
Popularity will determine if they want this content fully available for the public to listen. If it's a popular song, chances are if there's too much free content available, it'll slow down discography sales. If there's too little, not enough people get the taste of it, and business marketing will show that leaving out some content can attract customers to buy (ie, like a trailer for a movie). It's good to exhibit a little of both, that way if your customers like it, and the infringement monitors are working properly, they will earn more money.

It's like Batman - The Dark Knight. I'm talking both soundtrack and movie perspective.
When you try to upload any content of TDK, it gets scanned automatically by youtube to see if there is content in there that matches the content of TDK. It then automatically rejects your video, even if it's just a 10 second clip, of TDK. So, when you search TDK content on youtube, you'll find that there's not much if any at all. Common sense will tell you, and you will realize, that whichever production company made sure that youtube would follow their instructions that none of their content is to be made public.

But on the other hand, observe The Dark Knight Soundtrack - Tons of there is never any singing at all, but that is not the point. Point is, just about every single track in that album, which is 14 tracks -- there's hundreds of each track available on youtube! Why? I'm guessing it's due to the popularity. Not much people are purchasing the soundtrack.

date (in terms of freshness)
I don't think much popular songs from years ago, such as Michael Jackson, New Order, Beatles, and so on. Think of some popular people/bands back from before 1995. Do you ever see their content being taken down? Answer to this is that it's nearly next to no.. due to the fact that the recording industry doesn't care about the possible revenue from those songs/albums anymore. They've moved on to the present and future, not the past.

I hope this post educates a few people who are pointing fingers at youtube. You're not accusing the right person, you are pointing fingers at someone who followed what the "law" told them to do. The LAW is NOT youtube, the LAW is the video/music production company or RIAA!!!

You might try posting something like this with your video description. :hmm:
I DO NOT OWN THIS SONG
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976,
allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by
copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use." The original recording of the artist and the song inspired me, I've made it MY OWN version in translating it into MY ASL/Signed English for the deaf/hoh community.. This is not intended for a business purpose distribution and/or personal gains, nor entertainment purposes and this video is intended for instructional purposes using the fair use guidelines

rosa lee Timm and Sean Berdy do still have their youtube ASL song.

Youtube is just trying to save themselves from a lawsuit.. and that is understandable... Its not just ASL videos that are getting deleted, its any video with un-altered music in it... if you want to get around the copyright you have to talk over the song, or start off with it not being the original music in order to make the song your "own" and if you sign the song WITHOUT any music then the can NOT not will they, delete the video.

I think this is sad, but because YouTube has gotten so big, and complaints about copyright infringement require YouTube to "police" their web site, YouTube is stuck in a legal bad spot. Yet their automatic cc program stinks, so that's not useful, either. What a mess! :o What I have done to listen to songs is to look up the lyrics and try to follow along when I play the song on YouTube. But I wonder about those songs, too, not signed or anything, how do they get away with it? I just listened to a Loreena McKennit. I can't make out the words but the version I picked on YouTube actually had the lyrics listed right there, so I could follow along. Otherwise I google for lyrics and can follow along that way. But if I were fluent enough in ASL, it would be awesome to see the signing...

They really should figure out a way to make an exception. :hmm:

If the "ripped" musics into the video that should not doing it, be sure look at the music that show "FBI Warning" or "Copyrights" then don't upload it. So you can create your own music in your computer music program can be editing to stitched a music into videos. My video does not any sounds and just the ASL signings.. if the musics in background that would be taken down by the YouTube. Be sure turn off your radios off and TV changes to news center or something. Never leaving a musics on the radio or TVs. Due to the Radio and TV are copyrighted.

what law? fucking BULLSHIT....no body's making $$ out of those generous terps siging the music for us Deaf, what the FUCK wrong with those hearing morons, VERY insensitive I'd say!! Hell think about it, why was there a rumour a few months ago that Lady Gaga wanted to learn sign? it's GOOD it happened because she noticed it, its good, god damn those you tubes fuckwits!!

Youtube is just trying to save themselves from a lawsuit.. and that is understandable... Its not just ASL videos that are getting deleted, its any video with un-altered music in it... if you want to get around the copyright you have to talk over the song, or start off with it not being the original music in order to make the song your "own" and if you sign the song WITHOUT any music then the can NOT not will they, delete the video.

they can by pass this bullshit by acknowledging the copyright and same time use of a disclaimer ! that way they cant touch you because you specifically said its not your work but you share your appreciation god damn ! why dont they just tell them uploaders to use disclaimers rather than be big wankers takeing it all down entirely, very unfriendly fuckers they are!

I think this is sad, but because YouTube has gotten so big, and complaints about copyright infringement require YouTube to "police" their web site, YouTube is stuck in a legal bad spot. Yet their automatic cc program stinks, so that's not useful, either. What a mess! :o What I have done to listen to songs is to look up the lyrics and try to follow along when I play the song on YouTube. But I wonder about those songs, too, not signed or anything, how do they get away with it? I just listened to a Loreena McKennit. I can't make out the words but the version I picked on YouTube actually had the lyrics listed right there, so I could follow along. Otherwise I google for lyrics and can follow along that way. But if I were fluent enough in ASL, it would be awesome to see the signing...

They really should figure out a way to make an exception. :hmm:

there is!!, the use of disclaimers!!!

Back