Truck Driving and the Deaf...

Lol, those things probably is worth a half million dollars or even more. A articulated 60 ft city bus is like $600k each or so.
Actually, it's worth about $250K USD and that's just getting started (I've priced them in the past).

deafannieboo,

I've driven truck and am going back on the road shortly, not really by choice (thanks, Osama Barack, pres of USA), even with a college degree.

You may have to obtain an SPE (Skills Performance Evaluation), which is what I have because of my left hand/arm. It's no big deal, but this is something that I intend on possibly being a trainer and the absolute best that my company has. I'm seeking for anyone who knows if there is a deaf trucker association and, if there isn't one, I'm going to found one.

what really needs to happen is for someone to go through the process and get denied and then sue the USDOT for the hearing requirement as it does not impair ones ability to drive a commercial vehicle. similar thing happened with diabetics a while back. due to hypoglycemic shock they banned them from getting CDL but then people sued the DOT and they dropped requirement...
Here is my truck, as its under 26K and not for commercial use I don't need CDL. before I was Deaf I had class B with tanker, air brake and hazmat endorsement for Reserve Firefighter to drive the fire trucks..
IMG00329.jpg

havent been on this forum in a long time.. just saw this thread and wondered if any other deafies had any luck getting CDL? I''ve been driving for over a year with KLLM and still liking it! I'd really like to get a local job, but the problem is i wouldnt make anywhere near what I make now. AND I'd have to work alot harder! I havent met any other deaf truckers on the road since my last post. I talked to a DMV official who said there is no such thing as an intrastate (restricted to one state) hearing waiver. In other words, if you fail the 5 ft hearing test, you fail. There is no way around it UNLESS you do have good hearing with your hearing aid/cochlear implant, if you do fail the 5 ft whisper test due to not being able to understand instructor, you can opt to have an Audiogram done. I cant find anything on what the exact acceptable db loss is (with an aid) at the moment, but i'll look in my manuals tomorrow.

havent been on this forum in a long time.. just saw this thread and wondered if any other deafies had any luck getting CDL? I''ve been driving for over a year with KLLM and still liking it! I'd really like to get a local job, but the problem is i wouldnt make anywhere near what I make now. AND I'd have to work alot harder! I havent met any other deaf truckers on the road since my last post. I talked to a DMV official who said there is no such thing as an intrastate (restricted to one state) hearing waiver. In other words, if you fail the 5 ft hearing test, you fail. There is no way around it UNLESS you do have good hearing with your hearing aid/cochlear implant, if you do fail the 5 ft whisper test due to not being able to understand instructor, you can opt to have an Audiogram done. I cant find anything on what the exact acceptable db loss is (with an aid) at the moment, but i'll look in my manuals tomorrow.

Ok I know its been awhile since this post, but I still can't find a way around this stupid whisper test. talk about backwards thinking! arrrgg!!! :roll:
Anyways, I guess im outta luck with driving the biggies... guess ill see about the delivery driver jobs for class C. this stinks!! Anyone finds a way to get around the whisper test let me know please!! :ty:

Ok I know its been awhile since this post, but I still can't find a way around this stupid whisper test. talk about backwards thinking! arrrgg!!! :roll:
Anyways, I guess im outta luck with driving the biggies... guess ill see about the delivery driver jobs for class C. this stinks!! Anyone finds a way to get around the whisper test let me know please!! :ty:

Dont give up your hope. Some states allow Deaf to take CDL without whisper test. Iowa don't need whisper test.

A good friend of mine is one of the deaf trucker...he has a youtube vlogs that you can check out on...deaftrucker- he's a nice guy to talk about trucking

A good friend of mine is one of the deaf trucker...he has a youtube vlogs that you can check out on...deaftrucker- he's a nice guy to talk about trucking

You talking about Scott? :D

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

I watched his youtube channel. I thought its not allow to drive semi trucks cross country. Only in states where they allow it, I think.

Bitosin said:
No he does travel in 48 states in semi truck

Then how did he get a job as semi truck driver for cross country? Maybe he went thru many red tapes to get it.

Then how did he get a job as semi truck driver for cross country? Maybe he went thru many red tapes to get it.

He is hard of hearing. Watch one of his vlogs he talks about it

deaftrucker*|*DeafVIDEO.TV

Sequoias, I think if you click on the link, you will be taken to a page that has all 191 of Deaftrucker's vlogs. As for your qtn re: how he got his cert to drive nationwide, the earliest of his vlogs will explain....Maybe within the first 20 vlogs......

Ofc too many vlogs so I will look at them later.

Dont give up your hope. Some states allow Deaf to take CDL without whisper test. Iowa don't need whisper test.

Kansas apparently do not need whisper test. My Deaf friend got CDL easy. He passed the CDL test. What he did was to study CDL book he obtained from Driver License place then took test and passed (he did failed few time then finally passed) apply the job at Kaw Valley Sand trucking co and he rode with Semi driver for two weeks then complained his boss that He have CDL and want to drive instead of sitting with driver. Boss OK'd him and then let him drive with his co worker for few days. His co worker told boss that he's good and no need to watch. Afterward He drove Semi for 6 months until he got laid off.

He told me of tips and trick how to get CDL license. I could ask him if he can post Vlog to explain the tricks of getting CDL license.

OR move to Kansas and get CDL then move out then prove DOT you have KS CDL license and get state CDL (anywhere state) without test (wonder if that's possible? ).

My friend warned me that once you get CDL license, drive car or motorcycle CAREFULLY, don't do anything reckless that lead to to get pulled over by cop and get ticket. Because if you get ticket, it'll be on your CDL record regardless.

Catty

I think you will find him informative and fun to listen to.....

Well, I don't think I'm really interested into driving a semi truck because of that I have only one good eye and my left eye is no good. Semi truck is huge and requires lot of skill and eyesight.

Tribal:
Does it pay good being a truck driver? I've thought about doing it locally around my area, I'm female btw-Deaf, do wear HAs.

I agree...don't let anything or anyone stop you. Period.

As I understand it California will not allow D/deaf people to drive trucks -- But they let people who can neither speak nor write English to drive. Which would be okay if they spoke Spanish por que puedo hablar (because I can speak it).

Oddly, for all the hoopla about Mexicans taking all the jobs I seldom see a Mexican driver and when I do meet a trucker who can speak Spanish he is invariably East Indian.

I think a trucker can earn around $40,000 to $50,000 a year.

Back