CI users and the Deaf community

:lol: You seem to be judging your friend in exactly the way you say she judges the local signing community! :laugh2:

I am not judging lol. Simply describing her ability. She has really bad speech, and really bad English. Like she fell through the cracks majorly...she didn't even do Resource Room/special ed. She cannot write a coherent sentance, and she constantly misunderstands what she reads. Yet, she acts like she got a Harvard education. I know that it isn't her fault that she cannot write well... I'm not being all "I'm better then her." It's just that she is a classic "fell through the cracks" kid.

In my town, there are many CI wearers in the Deaf community. Most of them went to the Oral school then eventually learned sign while still in high school or after graduation. They get along very well with the Deaf and are very tight-knit with them.

I think that kids need to learn ASL ASAP. It now does not take years for kids to develop oral skills, like it did when Clarke was booming.

I think that kids need to learn ASL ASAP. It now does not take years for kids to develop oral skills, like it did when Clarke was booming.

im sure that some of them would look for an alternative communcation methods like it did happen to others.

Last edited:

Back even in the 70's and 80's, it took awhile for kids to develop speech skills. That was the argument for oral first and waiting til speech developed...b/c it took so long for deaf kids to develop speech, that they HAD to go to deaf school to learn how to speak.

I am fine with people with CIs as long as no one shove me to get a CI.

I agree - I hate it when ppl try and say that that would be better for you and all but I give them the all knowing universal sign :D then tell them to bite me.

Back even in the 70's and 80's, it took awhile for kids to develop speech skills. That was the argument for oral first and waiting til speech developed...b/c it took so long for deaf kids to develop speech, that they HAD to go to deaf school to learn how to speak.

Seriously? hmm I suppose I could agree thats how it was... kinda sad really.

I became deaf when I was 5 - one punch in the head did it and at a time, I really didn't like being deaf, but i eventually got used to it. I've always had a hearing aid and never anything else. But besides that... Mom sent me to hearing schools with support for the deaf, but it wasn't all that great up till I hit 6th grade.

Before that, I never had an interpreter, not once. I don't know how i got through school....I really can't remember much of anything, except having to play in music class... and when i look back on it...it's like the biggest WTF thing in my life, but after 6th grade, thats when things turned out to be awesome! Getting interpreter support was better, way better than anything i've had, but going to NTID was the biggest shock of my life. All during HS, i took my own notes, I did not have a note taker at all and hitting College was a big change because as the professors always told us to pay attention and go over the notes later - they always handed out notes anyway so we could all but watch and discuss, but jeez... there have been times when I wished things could have been different. Different as in a deaf school, but I guess things happen for a reason...

actually CI Circle forum those people SHUNNED me out because i dont have CI. Nice.

I agree - I hate it when ppl try and say that that would be better for you and all but I give them the all knowing universal sign :D then tell them to bite me.

Seriously? hmm I suppose I could agree thats how it was... kinda sad really.

I became deaf when I was 5 - one punch in the head did it and at a time, I really didn't like being deaf, but i eventually got used to it. I've always had a hearing aid and never anything else. But besides that... Mom sent me to hearing schools with support for the deaf, but it wasn't all that great up till I hit 6th grade.

Before that, I never had an interpreter, not once. I don't know how i got through school....I really can't remember much of anything, except having to play in music class... and when i look back on it...it's like the biggest WTF thing in my life, but after 6th grade, thats when things turned out to be awesome! Getting interpreter support was better, way better than anything i've had, but going to NTID was the biggest shock of my life. All during HS, i took my own notes, I did not have a note taker at all and hitting College was a big change because as the professors always told us to pay attention and go over the notes later - they always handed out notes anyway so we could all but watch and discuss, but jeez... there have been times when I wished things could have been different. Different as in a deaf school, but I guess things happen for a reason...

Wow JD....and you're postlingally dhh! I do think that even postlingally dhh kids can benifit from deaf school services, as opposed to a minimal accomondations set up. I think that says something!

Umm... wouldn't that be a better arguement for ASL? I mean... that would leave children with no language for years and years... and that seems really frustrating and umm... bad.

Umm... wouldn't that be a better arguement for ASL? I mean... that would leave children with no language for years and years... and that seems really frustrating and umm... bad.

No, in that mindset, once exposed to ASL, any motivation to learn speech to communicate would be gone, as ASL is much easier.

And that argument was around since the Milan conference.

Study a little deaf history. These stragegies are well documented.

actually CI Circle forum those people SHUNNED me out because i dont have CI. Nice.

And you originally went there because you were looking for a replacement CI processor for the one your husband lost, right? And you couldn't even get any help with that from them. :( Did you ever get a chance to find anything out about a replacement processor?

This should help clear up any misconceptions regarding CiCircle... This is taken from the groups discription...

This listserv was established in January of 1998 by Karen Biernat of Bristol, Connecticut (USA) and Naomi Higgs of Adelaide, Australia. The CI Circle is a discussion forum originally intended for parents of children with cochlear implants and for parents looking for information about cochlear implants. Over the years, others have joined the list from around the world. Besides parents, members include adults who are deaf/hoh, extended family members, professionals,cochlear implant manufacturers. The forum is primarily for parents of children with implants or looking at getting an implant. Example discussion threads are educational placements, candidacy/insurance issues for children and parenting issues with a focus on children with cochlear implants.This forum is unsuitable for adults looking to discuss implants, and other adult CI experiences.
We ask that members of the group respect parents' choices regarding brands of cochlear implants, language methodologies and educational placements. Please offer advice based on your personal experiences and/or published research. Manufacturers may not post on the CI Circle, but are welcome to read any and all messages. Parent Volunteers with an affiliation with an implant manufacturer are requested to add "parent volunteer" to the signature line of their email post. Parent Volunteers are requested not to post on any implant brands other than the one they are affiliated with. Under no circumstances are the comments on this list to be used for research, publication, etc., without the express consent of the person who posted. Researchers are asked to seek the permission of the list owners before posting research questionnaires on the CI Circle. Please refrain from using the CI Circle for purposes other than the discussion of cochlear implants. Questions regarding the CI Circle to Karen Biernat at: biernatfamily@yahoo.

No, in that mindset, once exposed to ASL, any motivation to learn speech to communicate would be gone, as ASL is much easier.

Hmm... I want to reply to this with an intelligent question... but none of the things I'm wondering seem very intelligent. I'll think about this a bit and reply later.

:hmm:

And that argument was around since the Milan conference.

Study a little deaf history. These stragegies are well documented.

Indeed. That was why I was kept apart from the deaf community and ASL - because of that belief that exposure to ASL would hinder my progress in acquiring speech.

Back