Any Way to get CC with BLue Ray/Netflix Streaming?

We just bought a blue ray player for the express purpose of being able to stream netflix videos and after trying to figure out how to get the closed captions on, and doing some internet research, I'm coming to a sinking conclusion that netflix streamed movies do not have captions??????!!!!!!! Is this really possible??? If so, that really sucks. I wear hearing aids but I have to have to captioning to follow anything on tv.

Is there any way around this??? I have been searching all night online and apparently if you have an Xbox or Playstation you can access captions, but not a Blue Ray player?? Can anyone give me any information??

Seriously aggratvated!!
I know that the original post is a little old but have you found out that HDMI doesn't carry CC if you connected your BD player and HDTV that way?

Last month Netflix announced that it expects to lose money for all of 2012 and it still owes over $3.5 billions to the movie studios under contract. The company is now looking for more investors to help the business.

Regarding to CC on Netflix streaming movies, NAD Files Disability Civil Rights Lawsuit against Netflix | National Association of the Deaf

So if I were you, I'd cancel the membership immediately. It's not worth it.

Captions for Samsung C series TVs

I have a Samsung LN46C670 and it has Netflix as one of the apps. However, after going back and forth between Samsung and Netflix, I found out that Netflix has not written an app that is compatible with the LN46C670 for captions and several other Samsung models and they have no plans to write one. I bought this tv because it has a great pictue AND that it has the Netflix app. My wife is hearing impaired and requires the captions to watch any tv shows. Have I spent around $1000 for nothing? Netflix, when are you going to support all devices with the Netflix app? Why would you write an app for a device and not provides updates to adequately use it?

CC doesnt work on my PS3 system. I tried it my TV wont allow CC from my PS3 system. Theres no way around it making CC work on my TV from my PS3 system.

CC doesnt work on my PS3 system. I tried it my TV wont allow CC from my PS3 system. Theres no way around it making CC work on my TV from my PS3 system.
Are you talking about Netflix subtitles on streaming videos?

If so, it should work. http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ubtitles-netflix-appletv-vudu-amazon-etc.html PS3 is one of the devices that have an ability to show Netflix subtitles.

However if you were talking about CC (Closed Captioned), it's not available.

Are you talking about Netflix subtitles on streaming videos?

If so, it should work. http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ubtitles-netflix-appletv-vudu-amazon-etc.html PS3 is one of the devices that have an ability to show Netflix subtitles.

However if you were talking about CC (Closed Captioned), it's not available.

Right,,, But when you go into Netflix on your PS3 System NOT ALL MOVIES ARE IN SUBTITLES! Thats where i want the law to be enforced,,, All Movies!!! Including in theaters too. Like Captioning can be seen during hours of 11AM to 3PM in all theaters all movies. So that way if the customer doesnt want captioning come after 3PM.

Right,,, But when you go into Netflix on your PS3 System NOT ALL MOVIES ARE IN SUBTITLES! Thats where i want the law to be enforced,,, All Movies!!! Including in theaters too. Like Captioning can be seen during hours of 11AM to 3PM in all theaters all movies. So that way if the customer doesnt want captioning come after 3PM.
Yeah, right but like I said before in my other post somewhere, Netflix is starting to add its own subtitles to the streaming movies. The company said it takes time. Right now I think maybe 30-50% of the movies have subtitles. That's why I will cancel it before the free trial expires. The other two reasons are that I don't like Netflix subtitles w/ three lines which is weird and no Blu-ray format available on streaming.

BTW, have you read FCC's new rules in another thread?

Yeah, right but like I said before in my other post somewhere, Netflix is starting to add its own subtitles to the streaming movies. The company said it takes time. Right now I think maybe 30-50% of the movies have subtitles. That's why I will cancel it before the free trial expires. The other two reasons are that I don't like Netflix subtitles w/ three lines which is weird and no Blu-ray format available on streaming.

BTW, have you read FCC's new rules in another thread?

Yes i did,,And Theyre no penalties in it,,Like theyre should be fines and penalties just like how the FAA deals with mantence violations.

Streaming with CC

I have a Mac so I bought an Apple TV about a year ago and stream to my HD TV. Recently by accident I found that I could get CC on Netflix by using the up arrow which gives a short summary of the show. If there is an line underneath that says to press select for other options, do it and you'll be able to select CC. If the line is not there, the particular show does not have it (yet, I'm hoping)
I just bought a blu-ray player. Is seems like all blu-ray players show CC on inserted discs, but not streaming. Does anyone know of a blu-ray player that has CC on streaming like the apple TV?

I have a Mac so I bought an Apple TV about a year ago and stream to my HD TV. Recently by accident I found that I could get CC on Netflix by using the up arrow which gives a short summary of the show. If there is an line underneath that says to press select for other options, do it and you'll be able to select CC. If the line is not there, the particular show does not have it (yet, I'm hoping)
I just bought a blu-ray player. Is seems like all blu-ray players show CC on inserted discs, but not streaming. Does anyone know of a blu-ray player that has CC on streaming like the apple TV?
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ubtitles-netflix-appletv-vudu-amazon-etc.html Post #6 You should search first before asking.

blu ray streaming

I did read post 6 and if you read it it does NOT tell which blu ray players stream with CC only that some do. I have determined that my Vizio does not have this service available, so I need to take it back and find one that does. I also wanted to let people know how to find captions on an Apple TV. OK?

I did read post 6 and if you read it it does NOT tell which blu ray players stream with CC only that some do. I have determined that my Vizio does not have this service available, so I need to take it back and find one that does. I also wanted to let people know how to find captions on an Apple TV. OK?
There's no CC on Netflix streaming but the company adds its own subtitles to its streaming movies one by one. Several BD players that can show it are listed in that thread.

Which blue ray???

I get CC on Law and Order, for example with my Apple TV streaming to my TV, but when I use the Netflix on the Blue Ray dvd player, it is not available on the very same episode, so it is dependent on the player after Netflix has done their part.

I do not know if an Apple TV works with a PC, but it does get CC when blu rays don't.

Last edited:
closed captioning on a HP blue ray compatible computer

I am new to this group and new to my blue ray compatible HP laptop computer. What i don't know is whether - if i rent a redbox dvd with cc on it - the captioning will indeed automatically appear on my blue ray compatible HP laptop screen - or whether there is some setting that needs to be done on the computer itself - just as it might need be done on my TV if I had bought a blue ray compatible player for my TV? Can anyone help me?

CC on Blu-Ray Players

Hi,

I have two BLU-RAY Players. Panasonic and Sony. I can get CC on NETFLIX
movies that have CC on my Panasonic. I can not get CC on the same movies
from NETFLIX on the Sony BLU-RAY player.

The Panasonic Netflix interface looks similar to connecting to the PC WEB interface to NETFLIX. The SONY NETFLIX does not have the same interface.

So has anyone contacted SONY and asked if they are going to correct this.
If I had know SONY did not support CC on NETFLIX I would not have bought it.

Thanks,
WGH

I contacted Sony about Subtitles for Netflix movies. They do not have any current plans to support Subtitles on Netflix movies through their Blu-Ray Players.

I contacted Sony about Subtitles for Netflix movies. They do not have any current plans to support Subtitles on Netflix movies through their Blu-Ray Players.
That's why it turns many people off. It has to be a specific model that has a capability. That's ridiculous.

CC w. Netflix

I called Netflix to see how to access CC on movies streamed from my Mac to my Vizio TV via my Sony Blu-Ray player and they told me that Sony Blu Ray players do not have this feature, but Samsung Blu-Ray Players do (only models BD/E 5300; BD/E 5700; BD/E 5900; BD/E 6500 and BD/ES 6000).

Netflix used to say that they were aware of the problem and were planning to make CC available, but apparently they haven't made much progress. I have no idea if the info regarding the Samsung models (above) is correct or not. Maybe I can call Samsung and find out or ask at Costco where I got the Sony Blu-Ray player which is useless to me w/o subtitles.

The Netflix tech support person also claims that if I get the DVD plan "many" of the films will have a subtitle option.

If anyone knows of a way to use Netflix streamed through a Blu-Ray rather than using the DVD option, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks!

Back