Deaf Facts!

Waz

Reaction score
FACTS ABOUT THE DEAF

There are approximately 22 million hearing-impaired persons in the U.S.

Deaf people have safer driving records than hearing people nationally.

The huddle formation used by football teams originated at Gallaudet University, a liberal arts college for deaf people in Washington, DC, to prevent other schools from reading their sign language.

The man who invented shorthand, John Gregg, was deaf.
Carl Anderson, a deaf cartoonist, is the creator of "Henry."

A deaf centre-fielder for the Cincinnati Reds, William Hoy, invented the hand signals for strikes and balls in baseball.

Phyllis Frelich won the Tony Award for Best Actress of 1980 in the Broadway play "Children of a Lessor God". Ms. Frelich is profoundly deaf.

Two of the Osmond brothers and Nanette Fabray all have hearing impairments.

Shawn Dale Barnett became the only profoundly deaf man to have a top ten hit on MTV in 1987.

Shawn Dale Barnett is also the inventor and creator of "DEAF MUSIC".

When Beethoven composed his ninth symphony, he was profoundly deaf.

Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone (by
accident) in his efforts to create a HEARING AID. He was originally an instructor for deaf children and invented the telephone to help his deaf wife and mother to hear.

Scuba divers often use sign language under water. Deaf people can sign/talk at great distances without the use of amplification through the use of sign language.

Deaf people have created a language known as American Sign Language which has been linguistically defined as a separate language such as English, French, and German.

Statistics prove that deaf people live longer than hearing people.

Some positions held by present-day deaf persons are: lawyers, dentists, doctors, chemists, inventors, artists, sculptors, writers, architects, poets, musicians, newspaper editors, clergy, actors, and teachers, to name just a few!

Deaf people develop keener senses of observation, feeling, taste and smell to compensate for their loss of hearing.

Deaf people appreciate advice or warnings regarding any noises that bother hearing people.

Deaf people vote, pay taxes, drive cars, attend business, social, and religious events...

dont forget, tom ridge is hard of hearing. i know bec he came to my deaf class to met us. he told us he is hoh and blah blah

Originally posted by VamPyroX
Don't forget that the 80's Hulk is also deaf.
Really? I didn't know that! awesome...I just hope that someday there would be a super hero who is deaf too...like DareDevil is blind, you know?

waz, where did you get that information? I don't mind giving the url to one of my friend. Thanks.

Ok, so if there's 22 million hearing impaired in America, how many are hearing impaired over in Europe or Russia? Especially Russia because they aren't as blessed and fortunate as the Americans and British. By the way, where did you get these facts from? Make sure they are correct and that the site has some good sources listed as its bibliography... Some people do make up the stats, which is why it's smart to check into the sources.

Proably not alot... those people with disablities aren't treated with respect in the middle eastern and they just don't care if they can't hear or not...they just treat them like trash, no matter what

This is where we have to TEACH THEM A LESSON!

Don't forget about deaf miss america

and another deaf chrissy in the tv show called SURVIVOR I hope she wins to prove hearing people that deaf are capable to do anything.

80's hunk is deaf...yes, vamp is right. he went to school where i went in ny...it was st. francis school for the deaf. my old teacher taught him.

Back