How to approach a deaf person by deaf person

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
If someone tell you that this person is deaf. You have never met deaf person before. How do you approach a deaf person?

What was your first question to ask this person?

I want to give some examples, but i rather wait till some of you to answer, if no one answers then i will try to give examples.

simple discuss away.

I no care if this thread is going to be an epic fail if my question is unclear. :fruit:

NC32CRSK.jpg

this is what I do.

:wave: YOU :deaf: ??

LOL Yup that's what I usually ask the same and first question. what is the second question? lol

I usually ask, the second question either name or where they are from in order to recognize their style of signing skills to know where they actually comes from. know what i am saying?

I usually ask, the second question either name or where they are from in order to recognize their style of signing skills to know where they actually comes from. know what i am saying?

LOL... Yeah.

Although the second question wouldn't be good for me because my signing is that of a Winnipegger-- even though I have only been there for maybe a few months at the most!

haha there is nothing wrong if their signing skills are rusty or not. It helps me to understand where they comes from and i would have to adjust with my signing skills to match their style of communication methods to preventing from misunderstanding more.

Rusty?!

I just means the signs I use are the ones I learned from the folks that went to the MSD (Manitoba School for the Deaf) even while I was living in Alberta. :P

Oh, i see what you are saying. Sorry!! In general, speaking of people who raise in the oralism environment more than sign language enviroment. :D

I guess I can't answer from perspective of never having met d/Deaf person before....honestly don't remember how it was. Now what I do - :deaf:? <if not sure deaf> - :wave: Sign you? I hoh new ....name what?
Then I tend to explain am re-learning ASL, who my teacher/friend is, etc.

Back