Some Deaf People Ask for Money

RosesNY said:
:wave:

I was wonder do you even hear some deaf people knock on poeple 's door and ask for money ?

Well it happen here in few weeks ago

My sister in law and my next door "s son told about one deaf man knock on thirs door and ask for money I was really shock when they told me.
I think it so DUMB to knock poeple 's door and ask for money. And i told them never give them money just say you don't have money . that all i can say to them they ask me why I don't do that I told them for what ? I think to dumb to do that.

:crazy:

I've been approached by those abc sellers -- but I never signed to them because I felt embarrassed that they were degrading the deaf image. :roll: What they're doing is pathetic and way below them!

One of the peddler approached my mother in California by store. He handed out the ABC card tried to sign to her without voice. She declined, the peddler man turned around walk away, she figured he was not deaf so she called him by voice. He was blush and ran off and disappeared.

Here in my home state has alot of deaf peddlers. That's sad.

:shock: i thought those ABC cards or whatever to sell are not allowed?

anyway, one time i was sittin in truck watching my nephew and my sister was walkin, before she went in the store, this man came up to my sister and showed her the note, i wasnt sure what he wanted from her... so my sister gave him some changes and i was like what was she doing... when she came back, i asked her what was she doing.. she said that man wrote on note saying that he is deaf and needed some changes for food and drink because he was homeless... i was like.. why didnt she SAY SOMETHING such as what the hell why dont you get a job or something since she knew sign... but she felt baaaaad for that man... even she told me that he smelled bad..

Hello all,

Some homeless ppls lives in my area, the homeless standing in corner of street asked the money for a foods and I told a guy "Panhandling just totally illegal and you should go to Mary's Place on 7th St." (homeless shelter and food services) Except black ppls ask me for a ciggy I says "Nope, get the fk'in job!" and speed away from him (my pwc full trottle away from the guy).

I did post somewhere in AllDeaf about selling ABC cards.

It was a true story, it occurred around in 1970's. Two men approached the van with peace sign on the window. It was in the Drive In movie... Of course, it was adult movie. Anyway, a Deaf man knocked at the van when the van was up and down moving. Deaf man just was playing a game as dumb as he knew that van couple were busy. He bait them to bang the door as the hippy man opened the door wide and yelling at Deaf man. What is the hell, do you want ?? Deaf man pointed his finger at his ear with nodding head. Man had no sympathy for him being Deaf.

They were smoking the pot and made a love in the van. They were hippies.

Deaf man showed ABC card for 1 dollars. Man punched his eye to knock out. He banged the van door and busy with a lady.

The police did not do anything because they should respect audience to do anything they wanted at the Drive in movie.

Deaf man had no respect for other people's privacy. It was occurred in Florida. I can't remember which name of the town. It was thirty years ago. Oh dear, poor that man cut off his making love with a lady to interpret him to buy ABC fingerspell card. :shock:

This reminds me of a television show I saw years ago. It was something like "Pacific" or something. It was about this beach police that patrol on bicycles. One show was about this deaf group who peddle money and they had this guy running the group and keeping the money. It had this well-known deaf actress on it too.

No matter how small or large cities, they are doing selling ABC cards. One of my deaf lady friend told once, she went with her friends to a fair. She was sitting next to her friends watched in distant of hearing people and the peddler so they gave the peddler some money for ABC cards. She was silent and wait for the moment when the peddler approached her and she popped out in her sign, "Hello, I'm deaf" and the peddler's eye opened wide and ran off. She was disgusted with the peddler. Imagine, the peddler were at the Fair? Interesting.

Now I remmy back like few years ago, when I waited 4 bus in eastside st paul, somehow a deaf guy came up 2 me, I asked him if he's deaf, he said yeah and show me religion deaf and abc card I think, asked me for more money so he can buy food from burger king... I said no.... He left me alone

I remember long time ago my boyfriend (now husband) and I were at Taco Bell with my family and a few friends. A peddler came by with ABC card and he tried to sell it to us. My boyfriend kept nodding his head, trying to get us not to pay anything. After the man left, he explained to us about how other deafies not like deaf people who sell ABC cards cuz it makes us look bad. That was when I only hang out with the deafies at my school (mainstream). It wasn't until later in high school when I was introduced to other deafies nearby and from the Alabama School for the Deaf. :)

personally, since SOME deaf people can not get good jobs, or live in poverty stricken areas. They have the need, and/or want to provide for thier families. I should know, because my brothers dad was a peddler, and we would help him sell candy, and ABC cards. This was in Nogales, mexico, and he was one of only a small portion of deaf people there. This was just so he could survive, than he went on to some bad stuff..but yeah

Same thing here, I signed to them and they were like busted and walked away. I was like "I don't think so!"

And one guy came in a mexican resturant where my family and I ate after the funeral. And it seemed that he don't know a lot of sign language. And he said he was from Mexico and try to help his family. I told him to get himself a job and that way it'll help his family a lot. And my family felt so bad and bought some of his necklace with blinking lights. I was pissed and couldn't tell them right away.

My Experience in NYC

Today was my first time going to NYC with my gf. We rode the train from New Jersey. We saw a guy approaching up passing out sign cards... when he got to us, we said no and spotted that it said Deaf (something related with learning sign or something... I didn't read the whole thing) and we just shook our head no... he moved on. When he came back down the aisle to collect money from selling the cards... he first gave a man some attitude. My gf and I looked at eachother and anyalized the card seller some more and wondered if he was deaf or not. My gf asked to switch seats with me to get the aisle seat to talk to the guy as he approached to test him. My gf asked the guy, "Are you deaf?" The guy said, "Yea, I'm deaf." My gf told him bluntly, "To let you know, you are embrassing us, why are you selling cards?" The guy said, "Its easier for me to get around... there are good and bad people... I'm good personality." I was nodding along with my gf to show him I was embrassed by him. He moved on, feeling shallow (I hope!) That was such an embrassing moment on the train today.... I hope I don't ever would have to meet such people like that. It is very annoying and did I mention... embrassing? He was making us educationed deafs look bad... He could just have gotten a J O B!!! Anyways, that was my interesting experience today. (sorry abt my misspelling :) )

Well, the issue of ABC card selling is very controverisal. I would only support ABC selling ONLY

1. If the Deaf person is really Deaf

2. The Deaf person has a family ( some Deaf people bring their families with them to sell ABC cards )

3. It does not go to alochol or drugs and real needs like apt. rent, pay bills...

4. Deaf person just got out of prison and is struggling to find a job.... some Deaf people sell ABC cards and search for a job at the same time ( not sell ABC cards to job application place )

I am not against or for ABC cards, I am more of neutral because someday the ABC cards may save your life with food , pay rent and bills etc.

Of course, there are some that are not Deaf but hearing abuse the ABC cards or Deaf people sell ABC cards to feed their alochol / drug habits.

I agree that Deaf people need stop doing drugs , crazy drinking and get a real job and apply through V.R.S. ( Vocotional Rehablition Services ) to go to Gallaudet University or NTID etc. or even a local community college near their home or a job training program WITH GUARANTEED JOB PLACEMENT FOR A JOB.

I do give $1.00 to Deaf person from time to time if I have it but I explain that it is best to go through V.R.S. and get a real job or go to G.U. or NTID. I don't get angry or mad or act embarrassed ( or fake embarrassed, angry and mad etc ) like some of you do or anything like that but I leave them alone because you do not know if it is a real life need or unfortunately, just for alochol or drugs.

I would hope the Deaf person if have to use ABC cards, use it the right way for the right reason until can find a job then don't need ABC cards anymore then give them to A REAL DEAF FAMILY WHO REALLY IS POOR AND REALLY DO NEED THE ABC CARDS. That way the ABC cards do not get abused and go for real life needs and good purpose and help them go to V.R.S. then finally they will be happy after 4 years of GU or NTID graduate from college with good paying job and the Deaf person's family is finally happy and secure. I do not judge Deaf who sell ABC cards and leave them alone and try to help with explaination. That is all. I do not ask them questions and just explain then they will see ah yes .... then they will eventually stop selling ABC cards on their own when they have a place to live with a real job or go to college etc :)

once tht one of guy was knocked on my cousin's door about the deaf guy was selling the card of sign lanauages so she buy card then in few days later she told me about it and I WARNING! her dont buy from who deaf guy selling. She will not never do it again! in anyhow :)

Selling ABC card is like selling water. I think it's pointless for people to sell those things cuz they think it's the easiest way out. If they really want money, get a job! Go to McDonalds! I have a lot of deaf friends who work at Walmart, Target, Toys-R-Us, Babies-R-Us, Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, etc... anyone can get a job at those places.

pissed

One time i was sitting in a coffee shop. The cute girl behind the counter was deaf, but she didn't know ASL just signed english. That's pretty typical for a hot deaf waitress/clerk/soda jerk working miles away from the closest school, but hey I'm not complaining. At least she knew her signs. Anyway, she asked me to give her $5.99 for my Venti Mocha Frap. I don't have to explain any futher.

As a deaf person, I've never been so outraged at such a blatant display of taking advantage of one of his/her own. Anyone with me?

Aah, I remembered someone told a deaf person where I live. Grr! He came knocking on my door. Luckily, I instructed my kids NOT to open the door and to notify me first. I went up and he showed me the silly paper " I am deaf, sorry for bothering you. I need help with food. Can you donate $1.00 or $2.00. I am supporting myself." So I decided to give him a bag full of pennies. He gulped. I didn't sign yet. Until the next time, he came back with the paper again. I looked at him and signed, "You know what? Someone told you where I live and I noticed you didn't go from one door to another or one house to another. I'm not that stupid so scoot your a$$ out!" He signed, "Me no know English signs." So I translated into Mexican Sign Language. He stormed off. Gotcha...so paid a nice visit to his roommate's home and told her not to tell him or others where I LIVE!!!!! She apologized. So far, they haven't come, I hope so. Jeez. I dunno where they learn that from. <sigh> But be aware, some deafies are not deaf, they are copycatters of other deaf ppl who sell keychains or knocking on stranger's door.

I noticed one "deaf" person was selling a x-mas pin. I snickered. I went, "Hey, you, I need four more of these, please." He didn't understand sign language, nor MSL either. Hmmm..interesting. I yelled just the three words, "Tu no sordo!!!" He took off leaving behind the bag of some x-mas pins. His face was red. Turned out, the bag was a stolen bag belonging to my friend who spoke to us the other day of what happened. Sadly, not much in the bag, just a few pins and some bucks..He had around $120 worth of pins..but in the bag was only around $19 of pins and a few $1 and $5. It was sad and heartbroken for him. That's his only income besides his $7.50 an hour job. The rent is pretty high here in California. It's not that easy. Owners love to increase the rent more higher than before. Next to me, the rent is $1200 for two-bedroom apt. Downstair apt is $1500 for 3-bedroom. Sucks. My friends around the cities told me the rent they live ranging from $1150 to $1300 for a 2-bedroom apt. Even the 1-bedroom apt too. It's crazy. Owners LOVE it. <sigh>

It seems that keychains, pens, pins, chewing gums are the good items they can sell. They have to do 'em by hands especially when they have to cut the papers, staples, using rubber bands. They walk all day, ride the bicycle, or driving a car. Once they're home, they're tired but they have to finish putting the items together. They go to sleep at 12 a.m. It's not that easy. I've seen them.

As an officer would label a deaf victim (after a person got hurt by other deaf person) for now; "Independent Saleperson." Interesting position. Hmmm...

ewheat said:
One time i was sitting in a coffee shop. The cute girl behind the counter was deaf, but she didn't know ASL just signed english. That's pretty typical for a hot deaf waitress/clerk/soda jerk working miles away from the closest school, but hey I'm not complaining. At least she knew her signs. Anyway, she asked me to give her $5.99 for my Venti Mocha Frap. I don't have to explain any futher.

As a deaf person, I've never been so outraged at such a blatant display of taking advantage of one of his/her own. Anyone with me?

Okay I'm a bit confused. You mean she intentionally overcharged you?

Back