Why does my cat's tail curl up over her back?

krazykatkitty

Reaction score
Our beautiful black fluffy cat called Fluffa. She is now 12 years old. I noticed Fluffa's tail curl up over her back like a Pug since when she is young. She is not a special breed and she is a household kind cat. It could be genetic, her habits or just being like that. I have other 2 cats and their tails didnt curl up on their back. I am just wondering. Thanks

She is very shy, snotty (she didnt like other cats so she like for being only cat), spoiled, and loving.

That's unique. Maybe ur cat was born this way? How many kitties were in the same liter when ur kitty was born?

It sounds like a natural genetic mutation. It's called a curled tail.

Here's the link I read before: BOBTAILED AND TAILLESS CATS

I have to warn you. The link is extremely lengthy, but it explains about the history of tails and contains photos of various cats' tails.

Can you take a picture of your kitty's tail? :D I do not know why but i guess the way she was born with it? One of my cat's tail, in the end of tip of the tail like the rattle, it got very curve or curl. :)

It sounds like a natural genetic mutation. It's called a curled tail.

Here's the link I read before: BOBTAILED AND TAILLESS CATS

I have to warn you. The link is extremely lengthy, but it explains about the history of tails and contains photos of various cats' tails.

Thanks for sharing the link that you gave me. Very interesting when I looked up the photos of cats tails. Her tail's curve kind is Flank curled tail.

Can you take a picture of your kitty's tail? :D I do not know why but i guess the way she was born with it? One of my cat's tail, in the end of tip of the tail like the rattle, it got very curve or curl. :)

Ok I will try to take photo of her later (btw i never upload the photos on all deaf before but i will try). Yeah it could be. Probably she was born with it.

Photos of my cat. sorry these photos is blurry

Attachments

• IMG00370-20101111-1209.jpg
    IMG00370-20101111-1209.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG00371-20101111-1210.jpg
    IMG00371-20101111-1210.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 20
I have 5 cats, and none of them have the same kind of tail. Some stand straight up, some are curled, some stay low. I think it depends entirely on the cat (the breed, etc.)

Think that is normal, it is genetics. Curly tails are probably recessive allele traits so it is seen less often because dominant (straight, normal tails) would mask it - recall the recessive/dominant traits in heredity. So Fluffa was the one in the litter who received both recessive genes, luck of the draw. It could be mutation as well, not sure what it is until you get the word from whoever specializes in cat genetics.

tail-types.jpg

curlytail-bunzy.jpg

ive got 2 cats one has a kinked tail and the both have straight up tails lol

It sounds like your cat, Fluffa is happy when her tail curls up. :dunno:

Beautiful cat! Is she a persian cat?

It sounds like your cat, Fluffa is happy when her tail curls up. :dunno:

Beautiful cat! Is she a persian cat?

Aww thank you. She is getting old. She is now 12 years old. I think She is. Extremely happy... haha... um.. normal household cat. Not a special breed.

haha i can see how tail curls up she got. I guess she was born with it. beautiful fluffy black kitty! :)

Sounds like a mutation.

I had a neighbor who had a cat that constantly had kittens. Only 1 out of 5 kittens came out with full tails. The rest had crooked tails, short tails, stumps, etc.

haha i can see how tail curls up she got. I guess she was born with it. beautiful fluffy black kitty! :)

Thank you... She does... She loves sleeping on my bed in every morning. Sometimes she jumped up on my bed and tried to wake me up. Cute!! She is my best friend.

Sounds like a mutation.

I had a neighbor who had a cat that constantly had kittens. Only 1 out of 5 kittens came out with full tails. The rest had crooked tails, short tails, stumps, etc.

Yeah, interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you... She does... She loves sleeping on my bed in every morning. Sometimes she jumped up on my bed and tried to wake me up. Cute!! She is my best friend.

Cutie. I have three cats, and one of them who love to follow me where I go, and stop by each of my kids room that my kitty kept following and meowing at each of my kids. One of my kid isn't a happy camper and one of my kid is a happy camper when kitty is on the bed. cutie!

Aww thank you. She is getting old. She is now 12 years old. I think She is. Extremely happy... haha... um.. normal household cat. Not a special breed.

She is 12 years old, unbelievable.. but she doesn't look old because of her shiny fur. She's healthy cat. How cats do you have right now? I lost counting them!! :lol:
Beautiful cat! :)

I was not paying any attention about my kitten's tail until you brought up this subject. He does have a straight-up tail.

Back