What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name. :P

I just shook my head at the title. Talk about audist. Oh, well, I said a couple of weeks ago that people were about to get a demonstration of what a deaf audist was. Looks like they are getting their money's worth!:lol:

The advantages to being deaf thread was empowering. This is decidedly the opposite.

Yup, that's one of biggest issue that I had deal with it.

For this thread, unable to hear the door ring and big sucks for UPS or Fedex that require a signature, however there is alternative, just write a note and leave on front door or use flash door ring.

For me, my life will be much more challenge and getting more tough because I do have usher syndrome and already have vision impairment so having a tunnel vision will happen in around 30's to 50's, even late 20's in extreme case so I have to prepare before it occur, especially on future plan. I cannot imagine to be deafblind person.

I have a remote on my door that sends a signal to my bed and shakes the bed when people knock. Pretty cool stuff.

It sucks not being able to hear the waves at the beach too. At least you got to see them on vacation. Hopefully the will find a treatment for ushers

I still wonder what a man who came to the door when I was the only one home was talking about.

He was showing me sheets of coupons that are in newspaper inserts. I don't open the door to strangers, and I just signed to him that I am deaf.

He took that as a cue to hold the coupons closer to the window, but I still have no idea what he wanted.

Fundraisers......they sell coupons and Mags. It's wise not to open the door though.....alot of bad people do that too

Over the years and thru the courses of time...I can think of thousands of disadvantages of being deaf....Since a HA or a CI would not benefit me...I've learned and accepted it, and deal with it!..No excuses, no pity...and no shame!

Yeah that is why I like threads that are more realistic. When people discuss set backs and disadvantages they learn how others dealt with it. Much better than pretending they don't exist me thinks!

As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.

But, is that so much the result of a disadvantage of deafness, or an obstacle created by the hearing?

I have a remote on my door that sends a signal to my bed and shakes the bed when people knock. Pretty cool stuff.It sucks not being able to hear the waves at the beach too. At least you got to see them on vacation. Hopefully the will find a treatment for ushers

Sounds like a neat gadget - but are you often in bed when people knock at the door?

I'm not being snarky, just wondering if this was useful to you very often. For me, if I'm in bed during the day, that means I'm sick and I don't want to see anyone anyway. Otherwise I'm up and about whenever someone is likely to come by.

For me, disadvantages of being deaf/hoh: not being able to use a voice phone is the biggest one.

Second biggest annoyance is trying to listen to the radio in the car. My HAs do very well with music in a concert hall environment, but not so much with music in a moving car. I'm thinking there must be a better solution, be it Bluetooth or something. I really miss radio music.

As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.

But, is that so much the result of a disadvantage of deafness, or an obstacle created by the hearing?

No obstacles... that would be mean! It's most likely normal and that one haven't got enough experience or practice to engage in a normal conservation. It's not like the hearies are making special adjustments just so one can't hear them or something.

Sounds like a neat gadget - but are you often in bed when people knock at the door?

I'm not being snarky, just wondering if this was useful to you very often. For me, if I'm in bed during the day, that means I'm sick and I don't want to see anyone anyway. Otherwise I'm up and about whenever someone is likely to come by.

For me, disadvantages of being deaf/hoh: not being able to use a voice phone is the biggest one.

Second biggest annoyance is trying to listen to the radio in the car. My HAs do very well with music in a concert hall environment, but not so much with music in a moving car. I'm thinking there must be a better solution, be it Bluetooth or something. I really miss radio music.

"Goddamnit" (I know I know! but I'm really sick and can't get up...)
*Bed shakes again*
(Oh my gosh. Can this person go away??)

For the radio, there must be a better solution. Trust me! I used to be in my parent's car and they would have the radio on at times. It sounds like gargled on-going noise and the beats would be one of the few things I'd hear from a radio. Now after putting time in focused listening programs plus my new speech processor, I'd pick up a lot of sounds and musics I never heard before (Hearing Rappers rapping like they're talking and Commericals like Taco bell and special Local events)

I don't even listen to music or learn into it, but after practicing with tones, words, sentences, anything but music, I'd pick up a clearer view from a radio. I haven't even got started on practicing or listening to individual instruments and the sound discrimination/tones, but I bet when I do, I would appreciate music much more... can't wait, seriously. Not right now though!

No obstacles... that would be mean! It's most likely normal and that one haven't got enough experience or practice to engage in a normal conservation. It's not like the hearies are making special adjustments just so one can't hear them or something.

what is a normal conversation?

:lol: no... but it's nice in case of an emergency.

It also works with the intrusion alarm

Those ignorant and inconsiderate people are the biggest disadvantages to Deaf community. :wave:

Like many here, there are disadvantages, but, the main issue should be on how you are handling it and do you let it bother you. As I have now started year number 5 of being total deaf, I am learning more and more how to deal with it, and basically have no patience for people who are not very accommodating. More and more advancements are being made in the public sector regarding making places more deaf/hoh accessible, but still, not enough is being done. A lot of the hearing society still says, "Why should we make changes?" "There are things you could do to make you fit into our world like HA' or CI's", when they need to learn that we are just as worthy and have just as many rights as a hearing person. More and more I am told that since I can speak, then I have to have some hearing. So I go with no speech, then they think I am some mentally challenged person that never completed school.

I feel the same way! I have a hard time being a group of people. I will tell them I can't hear and they'll talk louder for awhile then they'll go back to talking soft!
GRRR My family does this a lot too , I am glad there are not too many holidays that we did together! I get left out of the conversations .

I have a remote on my door that sends a signal to my bed and shakes the bed when people knock. Pretty cool stuff.

It sucks not being able to hear the waves at the beach too. At least you got to see them on vacation. Hopefully the will find a treatment for ushers

Oh really, that's nice.

Yup, I cannot hear the waves. I was playing the ball with my cousin but I got hit by waves so damn, hate to got salty water in my face.

Yup, I hope it won't be too long to find a treatment for usher syndrome and this disease is one of extremely devastation to my life but better than having an IBS or bowel disease.

Back