Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

you know very well what the father mean. Deaf and deaf school is not good enough for him.

Actually, I have no idea what he was thinking, and neither do you. For all you know, he is profoundly Deaf himself, but made an informed decision based on his life experience.

You (general you) would prefer to crucify him because it makes you (general you) feel better to think that parents are ignorant, stupid, or evil, rather than acknowledge that informed people can make a different choice than you.

You (general you) would prefer to crucify him because it makes you (general you) feel better to think that parents are ignorant, stupid, or evil, rather than acknowledge that informed people can make a different choice than you.
true...

In my mind, it is reprehensible!! This is an infant we are talking about. What if the child grows up and is upset with parents for doing this to him? What's he to do then? Yeah he could turn them off or whatever you do, but it's still there and it's still major surgery for something that is not considered life-threatening.

The best chance for a child to learn to use an implant is as soon as possible. If you wait, you choose to make the implant not work. If you want to give your child the opportunity to learn to listen and speak, and do it without delays and struggles, it must be done at a very young age.

What is "reprehensible" about giving a child an opportunity? Opening a door?

The best chance for a child to learn to use an implant is as soon as possible. If you wait, you choose to make the implant not work. If you want to give your child the opportunity to learn to listen and speak, and do it without delays and struggles, it must be done at a very young age.

What is "reprehensible" about giving a child an opportunity? Opening a door?

You can give a child the chance to speak and "listen" by whatever mean without MAJOR surgery. Why put a child through that? There are other avenues that have worked time and time again for hundreds of years, there's no reason to subject a child to this.

What is the opposite of normal? and what is this father's view of what normal is? It appears to me that this father judge deaf people and deaf school and making it seem abnormal.

How can you tell that He judge on deaf people and deaf school???

If he is deaf and teaching his kid ASL and knows that implant is not a cure, that's all it matter. But if he think it will make his kid "hearing" then he need realize what he is putting his kid into.

It remind me of deaf child's dad was member of AD. His sn was DrewsDad. The deaf people criticized on him for forced Drew got CI at age 9 months I think. Now Drew's parents lost interest into AllDeaf because they blamed on them to implanted Drew. Drew has usher syndrome with hearing loss.

You can give a child the chance to speak and "listen" by whatever mean without MAJOR surgery. Why put a child through that? There are other avenues that have worked time and time again for hundreds of years, there's no reason to subject a child to this.

Because research shows that less than 10% of profoundly deaf children and learn to listen and speak with hearing aids. The other 90% need visual language and can not get past "word level" with their aids.

The exact opposite is true for CI's. Close to 90% of young implanted children learn *language* through audition alone. They catch up, or never fall behind, with spoken language.

You are quite wrong. What people have been doing for hundreds of years DOES NOT WORK! Ask anyone here!!

It remind me of deaf child's dad was member of AD. His sn was DrewsDad. The deaf people criticized on him for forced Drew got CI at age 9 months I think. Now Drew's parents lost interest into AllDeaf because they blamed on them to implanted Drew. Drew has usher syndrome with hearing loss.

Drew is doing amazing. Check his blog:

Turn On My Ears!

well, If we tell you that you are not normal (or you tell me that), you wouldn't like it either.

I am NOT normal, and I would be pissed if anyone thought I was. I am better than normal. I'm me. I'm a rock and roll, pierced, tattooed, amazing, insane person. I would never ever ever want to be "normal".

FUCK CONFORMITY!!

I am NOT normal, and I would be pissed if anyone thought I was. I am better than normal. I'm me. I'm a rock and roll, pierced, tattooed, amazing, insane person. I would never ever ever want to be "normal".

FUCK CONFORMITY!!

ok, you are normal.

Because research shows that less than 10% of profoundly deaf children and learn to listen and speak with hearing aids. The other 90% need visual language and can not get past "word level" with their aids.

The exact opposite is true for CI's. Close to 90% of young implanted children learn *language* through audition alone. They catch up, or never fall behind, with spoken language.

You are quite wrong. What people have been doing for hundreds of years DOES NOT WORK! Ask anyone here!!

I refuse to go any further with this with you. You will be placed on my ignore list for as long as you or I will be on AD. Thanks for being a total JA!!!!

FUCK CONFORMITY!!

No offense, but the whole goth/metalhead//candykid/punk thing is the new "normal."

I remember when a friend of mine dressed in pink... went to a Slipknot concert and all the people there, ironically pierced and dressed in black, shunned her.

So much for "fuck conformity."

I refuse to go any further with this with you. You will be placed on my ignore list for as long as you or I will be on AD. Thanks for being a total JA!!!!

How was I being a jackass? I was simply stating FACTS. What on earth did I say that was offensive?

No offensive, but the whole goth/metalhead//candykid/punk thing is the new "normal."

I remember when a friend of mine dressed in pink... went to a Slipknot concert and all the people there, ironically pierced and dressed in black, shunned her.

So much for "fuck conformity."

First of all, I'm not like that. I actually work in a high school. It is called being a real person, with layers.

Back