Which cities in US that has largest deaf communties?

Wow, There are many deaf mexicans in Los Angeles. I have been seen it.

Pomeranian said:
In my hometown, PFFFFFFFFFFFFT but I heard there is plenty of them in Maine.

Actually, there's about 400 hearing-impaireds in Maine. Yeah, four hundred.

I think maybe Southern California has the most Deaf people.

FutureGame2100 said:
Wow, There are many deaf mexicans in Los Angeles. I have been seen it.

Yeah, There is many deaf white people in somewhere of LA.

Don't forget Olathe, Kansas. That is where the Kansas School for the Deaf is. We do have a strong deaf community here :smash:

oakbluffs said:
San Francisco has a very FEW deaf people living there. You're thinking of Fremont, which it's about one hour northeast of SF

San Francisco Area (aka Bay Area) has highest concentration of deaf senior citizens and dont forget the upcoming Deaf Seniors of America conference this coming summer in SF.

I'll say Washigton DC, Los Angeles and Rochester have higher deaf population than any other cities in the USA.

gnarlydorkette said:
D.C. (Galludent, Ofc)
Los Angeles,
San Francisco,
New York City
Rochester NY (RIT/NTID, ofc)
Seattle
I second.

Just a curious question about blinky's link (statistics)... is that LA country or LA city alone? I got this feeling that it will be LA country.

Edit: Err. I somehow missed the header title. It is indeed LA country. I gather that I need to hit the sack asap.

Framingham, Massachusetts start to growing more Deaf people due to The Learning Center for the Deaf.

27% of the U.S. population is in the land between Washington DC and Boston, MA.

I would surmise that 27% of the deaf population is in that area as well.

http://www.people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch7en/conc7en/bostwashcorridor.html

bostwashcorridor.gif

We do have a strong deaf community here
You're from Olathe? I have a friend from Olathe who sent her hoh daughter to KSD, and they are still pretty active in the local Deaf community...

D.C. (Galludent, Ofc)
Los Angeles,
San Francisco,
New York City
Rochester NY (RIT/NTID, ofc)
Seattle
I would say these cities are the largest deaf community that match my defintion of "large"...
I wouldn't say San Diego.. we do have a large community but I think if you do know everybody from SD it is not large enough :) So that is my defintion of a large community-- that you DO not know everybody !

I'm not sure how it would fit in here on your list, but Tampa, FL is the 5th largest Deaf community in the US. unfortunately, I don't know the stats of all the top cities. But the Deaf community in Tampa will brag about that a little bit since the city itself is not that big next to some of the others. And actually it is the "greater Tampa" are, including St. Pete, Clearwater and I think it's the whole tri-county area. I also believe that the Deaf-Expo is coming back to Tampa again this year, but I'm not entirely sure.

LA? mmmm I ll try to convince my hubby to move to LA. :hmm: I know it is not going to happen. :lol:

Back