Cochlear Implant Surgery Photos *Warning - Graphical*

Guys, I went through that surgery last March and I am still alive to this day :)

I know it is gross but so are heart surgeries, brain surgeries, and so on that drs perform on children.

These anti-CI folks are plastering these pictures everywhere to convince that it is DANGEROUS to perform a CI surgery on children but have you ever heard anyone dying from these surgeries like other surgeries?

These anti-CI folks are plastering these pictures everywhere to convince that it is DANGEROUS to perform a CI surgery on children but have you ever heard anyone dying from these surgeries like other surgeries?

Nobody said anything about dying but all surgeries have risks and no children should go through that phrase. Just because there are people who believes that CI surgery isn't good on children that doesn't mean they are closed mind.:)

Cheri said:
Nobody said anything about dying but all surgeries have risks and no children should go through that phrase. Just because there are people who believes that CI surgery isn't good on children that doesn't mean they are closed mind.:)

I understand what you are saying, Cheri, but children have ability to heal faster than adults and adjust to having a CI much more than us adults.

Meg said:
I understand what you are saying, Cheri, but children have ability to heal faster than adults and adjust to having a CI much more than us adults.

Yes, I know I heard that thousands of times in the past, but the point is what so wrong about being deaf? and have a child make a choice when she or he grows up because that person is the one who living with it. Not the parent. I am just being honest here. ;)

Cheri said:
Yes, I know I heard that thousands of times in the past, but the point is what so wrong about being deaf? and have a child make a choice when she or he grows up because that person is the one who living with it. Not the parent. I am just being honest here. ;)

Blame it on the doctors and educators, not parents. Parents who just found out about their babies' deafness are usually vulnerable and wanting to fix everything.

But I honestly do believe that CI s work a great deal better on children than us adults because my brain is too old to adjust quickly to my CI so it will take me a few years to adjust.

But I honestly do believe that CI s work a great deal better on children than us adults because my brain is too old to adjust quickly to my CI so it will take me a few years to adjust.

You got a point there. Nothing much to say from me. LOL!

Cheri. Its up to every person. Like me i wanna hear again. Being deaf Is not fun! youre really missing out by being deaf. Cheri you should put a bumper sticker says (IM NOT DEAF IM IGNORING YOU) on your car.

Being deaf Is not fun! youre really missing out by being deaf.
Sigh.....and have you ever heard normally? How do you know that you wouldn't freak out if you woke up hearing one day? How do you know you haven't bought into the "Oh hearing is such a wonderful thing" rhtoric that our society pushes. I have friends who are transgendered...Some of them have gone under the knife and have later realized that they did not want the operation...it was societial pressure that caused them to want to be the opposite sex.
I know exactly how you feel...I used to want to be hearing....now I don't. Thank God my canalplasty surgery didn't work, it helped me fully come to terms with being hard of hearing. How do you know you're not missing out on something? I know of many hoh people who say they wish they were deaf (fully deaf) and I know Levonian(unilateral loss) says that sometimes he envies those of us who are dhh in both ears. Hey....you have no idear how many hearing people have told me that they wish they could turn off their hearing like I do. (I am and have been notorious for turning my aids off on people)

ravensteve1961 said:
Cheri. Its up to every person. Like me i wanna hear again. Being deaf Is not fun! youre really missing out by being deaf. Cheri you should put a bumper sticker says (IM NOT DEAF IM IGNORING YOU) on your car.

If deaf is not fun what the hell you doing here then? I am happy with being deaf and I don't give a fucking rat shit what you think. :fu:

meg

Meg said:
Blame it on the doctors and educators, not parents. Parents who just found out about their babies' deafness are usually vulnerable and wanting to fix everything.

me and my seven yr old son had two ci implant, the reason i made a decision is i was afraid to wait tooo long for my son so if i do it now then he be able to pick up sounds more than me since iam older and got it when i was 35, and is like a vcr went to dvd player which is much better same way with ci the dr or the education dont have anything to do with it at all is experience and talking to others i had almost twenty porple calling me and ask me how i like it.i can hear lots of things like rain punding on the roof , aBLE TO HAER TVE ALMOST BUT NEED MORE practice etc i think everyone needs to talk to ci and see if they like it we have several ci programs that get togther and talk etc and also talk to others that havent gotten yet. As for children yes i would recommend to haVE ci while they are young so it wont be too late for them to learn while they have it on, there is nothing wrong with that.And they can compete with jobs and make easier money etc , I think, becuz iam there.

Cheri

Cheri said:
If deaf is not fun what the hell you doing here then? I am happy with being deaf and I don't give a fucking rat shit what you think. :fu:
relax ravensteve is playing with you.

Whoa... interesting! I've seen similar pictures elsewhere of someone else's surgery.

Meg said:
Guys, I went through that surgery last March and I am still alive to this day :)

I know it is gross but so are heart surgeries, brain surgeries, and so on that drs perform on children.

I´m afraid yes.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=4517

See my post at Sabrina´s thread.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=160937&postcount=29

I added my link somewhere here or DL forum. That´s why I´m not for implant on babies and toddlers and also not accept the risk.

But you cant compare heart, brain, etc with CI surgery because CI is not belong to kind of "save risk life" surgery.

Last edited:
Cheri said:
That is so gross!, I feel bad for kids who are going through that. :(

Yes, Roadrunner it is bad enough to see that. :-o

Liebling:))) You can see why we do not like when children are going through that? :hug:

Yes, I know. It´s awful feeling when you watch the video how they implanted baby. It makes me total sick. I still have video here. I will add the name when I find it. That´s why we are not for implant on babies and toddlers until they are old enough to decide themselves.

I would not accept the risk on my baby.

Meg said:

it has been that long!???
man the time flew!! i didnt realize it has been almost a year for you!?? sheesh!! :shock:

I didn't like those pictures at all. It was very gross. Please don't show pictures like that again. I agree with parents getting CI's for thier children because they want them into the hearing world.
Leah

deafdyke said:
Sigh.....and have you ever heard normally? How do you know that you wouldn't freak out if you woke up hearing one day?

Yes i have for 38 years with an hearing aid. I heard very nicely. I developed speech though my hearing. If you never heard before chances are you used sign and never spoken a word out of your mouth.

Cheri said:
but the point is what so wrong about being deaf?

Because deafness is a disability, and children learn at a faster pace in comparison to adults.

Yes i have for 38 years with an hearing aid. If you never heard before chances are you used sign and never spoken a word out of your mouth.
I meant have you ever heard like a HEARING person? Someone who's congentially or early (before one year) deafened (any loss of hearing) does not have the same concept of hearing, even if they can hear through hearing aids/CIs as do hearing people. I have never ever heard like a hearing person (and I am only Hoh) My cognitive conceptilziation of hearing is definitly not the same as a hearing person's idear of hearing. (even thou I am only hoh and I have a conductive loss)
Because deafness is a disability, and children learn at a faster pace in comparison to adults.
So what's wrong with a disabilty? I know many people who are proud to be disabled.

Back