Wood-burning stove

diehardbiker

Reaction score
Seems that brutal winter guy finally arrived.

Wondering anyone of you got wood burning stove?

I had my woodstove running since last October and have not turned on Natural gas furnace yet (except the furnace fan itself). Lately, I have had it running non-stop for few days. My whole house has been steady 78-80 degrees. Kept refilling two water evaporators few times during day. Couldn't be any better than N'trl gas as heating source!
My wood stove can take coal, curious anyone here use coal? I found out that the cheapest heating source is coal if one got mined in area or nearby. What I learn is that it is more difficult to run coal than wood. Hmmm interesting.

I ended up decide go forward install woodstove last year. I grew up dealing with wood stove and love it. We go out to woods, cut down dead trees, cut em and splitting haul back home thus enjoying free heat. This year, its different as I do not have seasoned firewood so I bought some seasoned firewood locally to support locals instead of paying utility company where they export my dollars outside of my town. Next year, I got more than enough, got it free though craiglist.

Sometimes I wish I have wood burning furnace as it would be more efficient since they can run on its own except refilling the logs.

Seasoned firewood means it has been cut and sit for at least a year or longer. Very important because unseasoned firewood will not burn efficiently and create too much creosote which is known to cause chimney fires.

Feel free to discuss here

My sister in N.C. has a wood burning stove/heater also. To my knowledge, they still use it. I do love the smell of her house whenever I go visit!

Grew up with a wood burning stove for cooking also. Awesome country cooking on it....and a wood burning fireplace.

Now, I'm all "cityfied"...CH&A.

We have a fireplace. It's in the rec room downstairs, so it doesn't really heat the whole house. Does that count?

Can you burn coal indoors in a wood burning stove? I thought you had to have a special stove for coal, because it burns hotter, and releases carbon monoxide. I'm city folk, so I don't really know for sure.

When I was taking Marty for his walk today in the cold I was thinking how nice it would be to go home and build fire in a wood stove! I had wood stoves when I lived in Calf. and I loved using them. I cooked on one when I lived Northern Cal. You can made a great bake potato in a wood stove . Do you cook on your wood stove. You could made a great pot of chili if you have the stove burning all day.

78-80 degrees? :shock: I would melt,seriously.

I have something very similar to wood-burning stove and that is outside wood furnance. I thought seasoned wood means it is ready to burn not cut and sit in woodpile for a yr. :lol: SMH... I have plenty of seasoned wood this yr. woot woot.... I keep my house at 71 degrees..jest perfect!

diehardbiker, i grew up with wood stove...I've always like it...The smell...saves $...In my opinion, I like it better than gas kind...I don't have it here now...I sure miss it...

I grew up in Michigan where my grandparents had a farm. The farmhouse was built before the Civil War. It had three freestanding pot-bellied stoves. Usually they were fed wood that was cut on the farm.

In the kitchen was a wood/coal stove. They had a seasonal load of coal delivered into the basement via a chute. The coal worked better for cooking. All the pots were cast iron.

Here in South Carolina we have a fireplace with an Appalachian Stove insert from Ashville, North Carolina. Started it tonight for the first time this year. It was 70 an hour ago. It is now 77. When it gets to 80 I have to crack open the door slider to compensate. Coal is rare here so we only use wood.

Carbon Monoxide is produced by both coal and wood. We have a detector in the room.

78-80 degrees? :shock: I would melt,seriously.

I have something very similar to wood-burning stove and that is outside wood furnance. I thought seasoned wood means it is ready to burn not cut and sit in woodpile for a yr. :lol: SMH... I have plenty of seasoned wood this yr. woot woot.... I keep my house at 71 degrees..jest perfect!

How do you know it is 71 degrees with that whatever it is ur using for heat?

It's 78 degrees now with our wood stove.

TCS forgot to mention that all our firewood is free. He does all the hard labor of sawing, splitting, and stacking.

Not using a wood stove this year, but they are good. I have a couple third degree burn scars on my left wrist from it, though, a couple of white streaks. :giggle:

Yep love it!!! I put 2 more logs a while ago, and I need to go and take a peek to make sure it is still burning! It is about 7 degrees out right now. BRR! I am not going anywhere at this moment!

Once kids are in bed, I leave all door opens. I cannot trust our 2 years old go in bedrooms/bathroom or else he'll make a huge messes! :roll:

Does anyone here use a barometric damper on the flue? It makes a difference, you know.

Seems that brutal winter guy finally arrived.

I ended up decide go forward install woodstove last year.

But is it allowed?
the way I understand it, newer houses here in BC Canada are not allowed to have natural wood/coal burning stoves or fireplaces because of the environmental pollution. I am not sure about the rest of Canada, though.

The new houses are equipped with gas or electric only fireplaces.

Only the old houses where there already are, still have those.
I happen to have a wood stove and yes I do love it.

Fuzzy

How do you know it is 71 degrees with that whatever it is ur using for heat?

Very simple, thermostat! Outside wood furnance is connected to the furnace in basement. Two water pipes run from outside to inside and we burn wood to keep water hot. Hot water is what keeps the house warm. :)

Wow alot ADers here love em! Glad I create this thread. My woodstove were orignally made for coal burning with option to burn wood. Never both at same time, as it can damage the chimney.

We are planning to cook some on the stove in near future. Can take live coal out and put in grill and cook em. Just like charcoal grill as they both are same thing.

I don't believe that wood burning is environment harmful as it appears to be. It was made that way as intended. If burn properly, it does not really pollutes as much as coal or oil. Believe it or not, I live in city! I have building permit and it is all passed with flying colors.
I didn't respond earlier since I finally return to work since 3 months. Had medical issues which forces me to leave work for a good while.

Very simple, thermostat! Outside wood furnance is connected to the furnace in basement. Two water pipes run from outside to inside and we burn wood to keep water hot. Hot water is what keeps the house warm. :)

That's cool. I've seen those in magazine ads for years.

It doesn't matter what we believe.
What matters is what the law permit.

If I wanted to build a new house now, I am not allowed to have a wood burning stove or fireplace anymore,
that's why I asked because I was surprised you could.
Maybe in US the laws are different, that's why.

Fuzzy

I have seen that before. Outdoor boiler furnace. Usually refill twice each day. Can keep as many as 4 homes warm! It has advantage and disadvantages.

I am not sure about it, I do have small issues and not sure if barometric would solve the problem. The problem is backbuffing. I hate backbuffing because it create so much smoke around my house. It does not happen often. maybe once or twice a month. I never had issues with backbuffing with other woodstoves that I dealt with in the past.

Does anyone here use a barometric damper on the flue? It makes a difference, you know.

Fireplace does not heat as much as woodstove provides. If correctly designed fireplace then yes can keep house warm.

We have a fireplace. It's in the rec room downstairs, so it doesn't really heat the whole house. Does that count?

Can you burn coal indoors in a wood burning stove? I thought you had to have a special stove for coal, because it burns hotter, and releases carbon monoxide. I'm city folk, so I don't really know for sure.

Back